robot warriors

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
HRogge wrote:The small robots I'm talking about do exist already. The MIT has build a 6 pound automonous robot with 180 sensors ( 6 leg-robot ) which they planned to send on a mars mission ( Nasa decided to use another one ).

But how do you plan to store the energy for your "robot of doom" ?
Why are all of the MIT robots building an Altar to David Bowie?

Spiders from Mars
NO! I built the altar to David Bowie, don't forget that the month of Ziggy is coming up, and that we must all lament the horrible day of July 3rd.

In case you're wondering I typed in a search for "Bowie" and found this.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Straha wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote: Why are all of the MIT robots building an Altar to David Bowie?

Spiders from Mars
NO! I built the altar to David Bowie, don't forget that the month of Ziggy is coming up, and that we must all lament the horrible day of July 3rd.

In case you're wondering I typed in a search for "Bowie" and found this.
Bollocks, forgot to say something.

Found what?
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

The thread
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

What if one where to take say the T-70 form and put some more armor on it, and instead of giving it a brain one made it remote controlled through a VR setup.

An actual soldier would be somewhere safe whilst being strapped in a sort of mechanical suit that would relay the movements to the robot, and vice versa.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I prefer the idea of a fractal shape-changing robot made of independent modules working in unison, perhaps made using MEM and nano assembler like models to allow components to break down to smaller slabs if need be. That way you could have bipedal, four, six or eight legged versions of the machine all in one model with the ability to hold various weapon systems if need be.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I prefer the idea of a fractal shape-changing robot made of independent modules working in unison, perhaps made using MEM and nano assembler like models to allow components to break down to smaller slabs if need be. That way you could have bipedal, four, six or eight legged versions of the machine all in one model with the ability to hold various weapon systems if need be.
Eh, too advanced to be cool.
I want cold hard dirty gleamin' steel skeletons of brute force.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:I prefer the idea of a fractal shape-changing robot made of independent modules working in unison, perhaps made using MEM and nano assembler like models to allow components to break down to smaller slabs if need be. That way you could have bipedal, four, six or eight legged versions of the machine all in one model with the ability to hold various weapon systems if need be.
When the machine I'm talking about is already in prototyping in a British lab and has numerous applications once the cubs are around mm size, then we'll see which is better. Bang an emergent heuristic swarm program into this thing and give it set goals and the whole thing will act as one like our bodies do (we are, afterall, a collection of smaller cellular machines working in unison).

That and you could make these fit where you wanted them since they could flow into difficult spaces (would require more processing power than walking, but would help). And they could be as big as insects or tanks. I like the idea of bullets passing through them with little damage compared to normal systems. :D
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

His Divine Shadow wrote:

Maybe a crazy T-Meg which can seperate into several smaller but more flexible but less resilient and powerful T-1000s?
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
His Divine Shadow wrote:

Maybe a crazy T-Meg which can seperate into several smaller but more flexible but less resilient and powerful T-1000s?
Well, like the fictional T-Meg, potential future fractal robots could split into smaller versions if confronted with more enemies (a bit like the Prometheus in Trek). But it would also mean the AI would be less powerful since a good way in making such a machine work is having each micro or nanomachine contribute to processing and so on. It would get dumber the smaller it got just like the T-1000 unless a human controlled it remotely.

Of course such machines may not be seen like that for another few decades, but we will have larger versions doing stuff like looking for life on Mars since the design means all terrain.

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~robodyne/ ... lopers.htm

These are the basics so far.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
His Divine Shadow wrote: Eh, too advanced to be cool.

Well, like the fictional T-Meg, potential future fractal robots could split into smaller versions if confronted with more enemies (a bit like the Prometheus in Trek). But it would also mean the AI would be less powerful since a good way in making such a machine work is having each micro or nanomachine contribute to processing and so on. It would get dumber the smaller it got just like the T-1000 unless a human controlled it remotely.

Of course such machines may not be seen like that for another few decades, but we will have larger versions doing stuff like looking for life on Mars since the design means all terrain.

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~robodyne/ ... lopers.htm

These are the basics so far.
LEGO BOTS MAXIMIZE!!!!

It would be cool if like you have hundreds of inch long fractual robots, they shape shift into a T-rex and then......

But can they shift themselves (the current present day models) or does a man have to push them and stuff?
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
LEGO BOTS MAXIMIZE!!!!

It would be cool if like you have hundreds of inch long fractual robots, they shape shift into a T-rex and then......

But can they shift themselves (the current present day models) or does a man have to push them and stuff?
They work by using special EM magnets around the inside of the cube shell that work to move other cubes around one another.

The idea is to get these basic technology demonstrators miniaturised to at least 1mm cubed MEMS that would look like liquid moving or dust.