Fighting Machines or Zombies

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Which World do you go too?

War of the Worlds
25%
Dawn of the Dead
75%

Total votes: 36

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Twenty days? Then I'm set for both scenarios. I grab my car, load up provisions (food, water, toiletries) and haul ass to a remote region full of forests. I could get there in about four hours, which leaves six for preparations and two for unforeseen difficulties. A can of ground beef should be enough to get me through a day, meaning I'd need about twenty cans (10 kilograms). Add ten litres of water, soap, toothbrush and paste, a knife, tent, sleeping bag, lighter, compass, a good map, water purification tablets, etc. and my existence load for twenty days should be about 30 kilograms - carryable, so I could change my camping spot. Actually, I think I'd choose the Martians to zombies, since I wouldn't have to be afraid of zombified animals in the forest. Humans would be dangerous in either case.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Rye wrote:I've not seen WotW yet, but I'm probably fucked either way. I think WotW tripods would be better, though, since it's likely they've got bigger fish to fry than me. I just take a load of quilts and shit and go hide under a nearby disused railway tunnel, making periodic lootings for food and the like. If it's zombies, I'll get eaten, probably.
Forget that. Go to the country, get as far from urban areas as possible. The fighting machines were blowing up shit indiscriminately and in economy size (four days was enough to waste pretty much all of New Jersey and the military there, 20 would mean harvesting time entirely). A near miss means bursting in flames or being thrown a few klicks off somewhere.

With both scenarios, I'd go to the most remote area. You can't fight off zombie armies (I don't believe animals are made rabid by the DOTD 2k4 virus, but may be carriers like Rabies) no matter what the gun nut wankers say (one man and a month worth of ammo ain't going to stop dozens of Olympic sprinting, no pain feeling eating machines) so getting as far away from humans is a good thing and riding it out, just like the shopping mall, but without the retards holding you back. Same with WOTW, although the aliens had a habit of following mass refugee caravans and, uh, harvesting them in no nicer way than zombies eating you.
Jalinth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jalinth »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Forget that. Go to the country, get as far from urban areas as possible. The fighting machines were blowing up shit indiscriminately and in economy size (four days was enough to waste pretty much all of New Jersey and the military there, 20 would mean harvesting time entirely). A near miss means bursting in flames or being thrown a few klicks off somewhere.
If this is summer, no problem. Go into the North Shore Mountains and start hiking away with backpack, tent, and sleeping bag - although find . Climbing the mountains is a bitch, so zombies are likely to start munching on the lowlanders. Give me 3 days, and I'll be well away from any humans - meaning I stand a pretty decent chance of surviving since it isn't clear how quickly they move away from urban areas and on what basis.

I wish I could get guns, but no chance in Canada.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: no matter what the gun nut wankers say (one man and a month worth of ammo ain't going to stop dozens of Olympic sprinting, no pain feeling eating machines)
Which is why we "gun wakers" like high places with good views of the surronding area that to top it all off are also out of the reach of all zombie kind for quite some time(Unless you get a zombie pyramid going which you will need a few hundred thousand zombies for)

And in the case of the Water tower, it doubles as a backup source of purfiable water.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

I'd go with the zombies and the water tower plan... though instead of playing snipe the zombie 24/7, I'd just figure out a way to knock off the ladder behind me... unless they bite Spider-man, I'm safe! :lol:
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Mr Bean wrote: Which is why we "gun wakers" like high places with good views of the surronding area that to top it all off are also out of the reach of all zombie kind for quite some time(Unless you get a zombie pyramid going which you will need a few hundred thousand zombies for)

And in the case of the Water tower, it doubles as a backup source of purfiable water.
You need to have a good sniping position because you won't be taking them on any other way unless you're jumping into a proverbial tank or another building soon after. Even automatic weapons need to reload and when they do, that's a big chance for them to surge in on you. Those bastards are nasty, but killable, unlike a 50 metre fighting machine.

I'd do just like Andy if I could, find a building with enough supplies and barricade it and have a rifle by my side or shotgun just incase.
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I'd do just like Andy if I could, find a building with enough supplies and barricade it and have a rifle by my side or shotgun just incase.
well... hopefully not just like Andy... :wink:
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I find it in my best interests to avoid becoming a zombie. And I always follow my best interests.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
You need to have a good sniping position because you won't be taking them on any other way unless you're jumping into a proverbial tank or another building soon after.
Yes which is why a water tower
Fits the bill well, see the nice walkway around the entire thing?
Notice how nice and tall it is with only one way up?(The ladder which can be destroyed cause you won't need to come down or brought up with you)

Much better than most builings as far as view goes but worse because your exposed.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I can see supplies and general exposure being a problem after 20 days. If you could get into one and store stuff on or even in it, that'd be fun, assuming you have time before the virus strikes. And make it a tripod water tower for effect. They look cooler.
petesampras
Jedi Knight

Post by petesampras »

Chance of survival isn't the only factor though.

Getting blasted with a heat ray isn't as bad as getting eaten alive by zombies.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

But getting your blood drained out through an oversize straw is about as bad. Zombies for me, at least I can fight them off long enough to get away.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I keep picturing heading to the Titan Missle museum with a bunch of supplies. Assuming the water supply is still working I won't even need to bring more water.

Not only is it a fair ways away from the city once it's closed no zombies are getting in, and it's very unlikely that the Martians would be all that interested in it either. They certainly aren't getting in easilly either.

I suppose an outside chance the Martians might be interested in the missile that is there but they should easilly be able to tell that it's not armed. Plus, I have a feeling that part of the reason for their EMP storm is to take out stuff like that. Wouldn't want anyone nuking part of their new world now would they?

Power might be a problem for the place with the Martians but I'm not sure it would be problem with the zombies. It might depend on how automated the local power grid is.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
mechayahiko
Redshirt

Post by mechayahiko »

Hmm, for the case of surviving war of the worlds, where do the aliens attack? Would they attack small towns and villages? If so, I just head to a small town or a farm and ask or pay them so i can stay there for 20 days.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

mechayahiko wrote:Hmm, for the case of surviving war of the worlds, where do the aliens attack? Would they attack small towns and villages? If so, I just head to a small town or a farm and ask or pay them so i can stay there for 20 days.
They use humans for fertilizer for their world-shaping plant-things. Would you negotiate with food stuffs and farm equipment?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

To be completely honest, I mostly picked going against the aliens because zombies totally and utterly freak me out. Can't deal with them. I can handle exterminating aliens, but I can't handle zombies.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

I'd go WOTW. In either case, I'd drive from where I am (southern WI), to the woods in the northern part of the state, far away from anything resembling humanity, with as much food as I can carry.

The reason I go with WOTW rather than DOTD is because fighting machines are *BIG* and *FAIRLY OBVIOUS*. If I'm heading to the woods to rough it for the better part of the month, and find a supposedly empty cabin to do so in, what's more likely? That I'm going to find a reanimated corpse in there, or that I'm going to find a giant fighting machine in there? I go WOTW because, when you're miles away from civilization, it's much harder for a giant fighting machine to jump you by surprise that it is for some reanimated corpses.

~Damienkitty
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Noble Ire wrote:
mechayahiko wrote:Hmm, for the case of surviving war of the worlds, where do the aliens attack? Would they attack small towns and villages? If so, I just head to a small town or a farm and ask or pay them so i can stay there for 20 days.
They use humans for fertilizer for their world-shaping plant-things. Would you negotiate with food stuffs and farm equipment?
Well, you could say you'll become a people farmer, raising fertilizer for their crops. You're only going to be there for 20 days, anyway. Who cares if you keep your word?
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Erik von Nein wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:
Well, you could say you'll become a people farmer, raising fertilizer for their crops. You're only going to be there for 20 days, anyway. Who cares if you keep your word?
The point I was trying to make was that its extremely unlikely that the aliens would negotiate anything. From what we saw in the film, they either combust you on sight or turn you into blood stock. The aliens might not go after every little village on Earth, at least not in only 20 days, but if a Fighting Machine finds you, your pretty much screwed.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

The aliens won't negotiate. That's like having a cow ask if you can spare it's life so it will herd the others into the abbatoir so long as itself isn't killed in the process. They don't give a shit, pretty much like the zombies, only they flew a little further here to stamp out the insects we call humans.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'd take the WoTW scenario. I can hide here easily enough, I could easily live on tinned spaghetti and such for 3 weeks.

Also, zombies can multiply easily. Living in suburbia means there's a lot of potential undread running around. Despite the fact that the tripods are unstoppable, at least they don't multiply.

Plus, it's easy enough to see a tripod coming and try to hide. Zombies are harder to see coming until it's too late.

Although, a WoTW scenario has a greater chance of looters coming to take my stuff and kill me. That's a risk I shall have to take.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
mechayahiko
Redshirt

Post by mechayahiko »

Sorry if it caused confusion but i meant negotiating with the farmers that live there and not the aliens, since it would take them at least a few days to conquer the major cities. How powerful are the Martian's sensors?
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

They can shoot down airliners, so you're not going to go unnoticed walking around a field or town when something that can look right over a block or two is present.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Sharpshooter wrote:Hell, if the thing's still operational, maybe I could figure out how to get it to dive and submerge it a few feet..
The Croaker hasn't been operational for years. If you tried to submerge it, you wouldn't be coming back up again. :wink:
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Or, in the zombie world.. find a suitable apartment, stock it full of supplies, disable the elevator and mortar/cement the fuck out of the stairwell. Then just live comfortably when the shit hits the fan.