I apologize for my words about the Agents in Matrix Reloaded

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

nfact if he would have been in the room in Matrix the first movie, he would have easily dodged the minigun rounds,
How can you be sure of that? A vehicle-scale weapon that fires thousands of rounds a minute isn't the easiest thing to dodge while it's virtually hosing the area with bullets.

Your statement reeks of subjectiveness...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Omega-13
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Post by Omega-13 »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
nfact if he would have been in the room in Matrix the first movie, he would have easily dodged the minigun rounds,
How can you be sure of that? A vehicle-scale weapon that fires thousands of rounds a minute isn't the easiest thing to dodge while it's virtually hosing the area with bullets.

Your statement reeks of subjectiveness...
Ok, you are right, I will make it more clear
let me get my calculator
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 99#1688299
Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

Ok, the minigun has a firing rate of roughly 3000 rounds per minute
with a muzzle velocity of about 3000 feet per second

the helicopter was about 60 feet from the agents (the rotator radius is 20 feet on its own)

It took the bullets 20 ms to reach the agents, and there was a bullet every 60 feet in the air, so thats 1 bullet coming in every 20 ms.

The glock that was used by morph has a barrol velocity of about 1500 feet per second, fired at 3 feet, which only takes that bullet 2 miliseconds to reach the target, and it was dodged easily, a clip of it actually,

As you can see, JOhnson could have avoided the bullets indefinately from the minigun
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

I'm a useless pile of subhuman racist filth who attacked Darth Wong's heritage and accused him of abusing his wife and children!

Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

but the Glock does not fire at anywhere near the same rate as the mini-gun. The cyclic rates are way different. Besides Smith and the other agents were trying to return fire instead of dodging bullets.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Death from the Sea wrote:but the Glock does not fire at anywhere near the same rate as the mini-gun. The cyclic rates are way different. Besides Smith and the other agents were trying to return fire instead of dodging bullets.
Exactly. Distance is not the most important factor, the rate of fire is. It's one thing to be able to dodge a single projectile at point blank range, but it's totally different when you have to dodge at least 20 times that amount of projectiles in the same time frame as the Glock fires one round. It's the fact that there are so many rounds being sprayed that it quickly becomes almost impossible to dodge to anywhere because the entire area around you is going to be hit with bullets. There are no safespots.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The best bit about that scene is how Morpheus is completely untouched at the end of it. :D
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Illuminatus Primus wrote:[
Game mechanics blow for analysis.
Look at the hammering the smith clones took in Reloaded and compare it to how much the current Agents held up. EtM isn't the only source I'm using for that.
Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

lol, ok guys you really missed that one

Ok, it took the bullet from Morphs gun, 2 miliseconds to reach the Agent, he dodged it

It took 20 miliseconds for the minigun round to get to the agents in Matrix in the skyscrapper.

Each bullet was 60 feet apart, and each bullet came every 20 miliseconds,

SO!

Just to draw you a picture here,
1 bullet goes by, the next one is coming in 20 milliseconds, THE ENTIRE ROOM isn't filled like a spiderweb,

they have 20 miliseconds to dodge EACH bullet, and they coudln't,

Johnson or thompson (not sure which it was) dodged a bullet in 2 miliseconds,

who is faster?
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

SylasGaunt wrote:
Look at the hammering the smith clones took in Reloaded and compare it to how much the current Agents held up. EtM isn't the only source I'm using for that.
I just watched the movie last night again,
Neo flew away about 3 seconds after he kicked an Agent into a lightpost,
we didn't see the agents dead, and we didn't see a flash of light when they died (like we saw in the first movie) so it is easy to see that they didn't die, they were just stunned and getting up
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Omega-13 wrote:
SylasGaunt wrote:
I just watched the movie last night again,
Neo flew away about 3 seconds after he kicked an Agent into a lightpost,
we didn't see the agents dead, and we didn't see a flash of light when they died (like we saw in the first movie) so it is easy to see that they didn't die, they were just stunned and getting up
My brother recalls one getting hit with the lamp post and falling to bits in mid-air.
Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

Some of the msg's got deleted for some reason, but that wasn't the agent, ,that was the glass on the top of the lampost
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Omega-13 wrote:lol, ok guys you really missed that one
Ok, it took the bullet from Morphs gun, 2 miliseconds to reach the Agent, he dodged it
It took 20 miliseconds for the minigun round to get to the agents in Matrix in the skyscrapper.
SO!
Just to draw you a picture here, 1 bullet goes by, the next one is coming in 20 milliseconds, THE ENTIRE ROOM isn't filled like a spiderweb, they have 20 miliseconds to dodge EACH bullet, and they coudln't, Johnson or thompson (not sure which it was) dodged a bullet in 2 miliseconds, who is faster?
No, what they're saying is that Thompson (I'll just assume that's his name) only ever has to worry about one thing: where is Morpheus aiming right now? Every bullet Morpheus fires will be gone and irrelevent to where the next bullet is. The point is that Thompson may not be dodging the bullets after they're fired, he just isn't in the same place that they're going to wind up. The Agents in the minigun incident had to worry about not being in the way of a whole lot more bullets. It doesn't matter that they take longer to hit after they're fired, what matters is that they needed to dodge a bullet every .02 seconds.
I don't know what the rate of fire on Morpheus' Glock was, maybe you're right if it's high enough. You said muzzle velocity was 1500 ft/sec I think. But yea, my POV is that what's important is that what's important is how often the Agent needs to dodge a bullet, maybe Thompson only had to dodge one every .09 seconds or so?
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Sriad wrote:
Omega-13 wrote:lol, ok guys you really missed that one
SO!
Just to draw you a picture here, 1 bullet goes by, the next one is coming in 20 milliseconds, THE ENTIRE ROOM isn't filled like a spiderweb, they have 20 miliseconds to dodge EACH bullet, and they coudln't, Johnson or thompson (not sure which it was) dodged a bullet in 2 miliseconds, who is faster?
No, what they're saying is that Thompson (I'll just assume that's his name) only ever has to worry about one thing: where is Morpheus aiming right now? Every bullet Morpheus fires will be gone and irrelevent to where the next bullet is. The point is that Thompson may not be dodging the bullets after they're fired, he just isn't in the same place that they're going to wind up. The Agents in the minigun incident had to worry about not being in the way of a whole lot more bullets. It doesn't matter that they take longer to hit after they're fired, what matters is that they needed to dodge a bullet every .02 seconds.
I don't know what the rate of fire on Morpheus' Glock was, maybe you're right if it's high enough. You said muzzle velocity was 1500 ft/sec I think. But yea, my POV is that what's important is that what's important is how often the Agent needs to dodge a bullet, maybe Thompson only had to dodge one every .09 seconds or so?
Oh good grief, so now bullets fired from a precision Machine gun , automatically cover a huge area do they? It's a Minigun, not a shotgun! To put it another way, the stream of bullets can be seen as a long pole (and we'll say the pole reaches from the gun barrel to the far wall), whereever this pole goes is where the constant stream of bullets will land. To dodge them you simply go under or over the pole - end of problem, as long as you move faster than th pole can be reorientated, you'll never get hit.

This talk of a web of bullets and covering the hole room at once shows how little you understand what's actually happening here. To dodge all they had to do was duck or sidestep.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Actually, on the Agents abilities, does anyone else think they are play balanced? Strong enough to be unbeatable by normal humans despite inbuilt imperfections, but not enough to take on the One.

The agents, as programmes should never miss their target. They should never run out of ammo (as the gun is created from thin air when they take over a person, the ammo should be never-ending), they should be able to block any incoming attack as even Neo cannot move faster than the Matrix can render him, therefore the Agents should be able to match him.

However, what if they are limited in the same way as Game AI is, set so that people have a chance (especially if they miss normal people to), and therefore The One can get to the source and complete his function, but Only the One can do it, as Normal people simply can't get passed them.

I think the only unfettered Agent we've seen is the guy in white protecting the Oracle. He matched Neo with no problems, perhaps he is analogous to a Firewall ensuring that only the correct things are allowed near the Oracle, so there are no restrictions on him.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Rob Wilson wrote:Oh good grief, so now bullets fired from a precision Machine gun , automatically cover a huge area do they? It's a Minigun, not a shotgun! To put it another way, the stream of bullets can be seen as a long pole (and we'll say the pole reaches from the gun barrel to the far wall), whereever this pole goes is where the constant stream of bullets will land. To dodge them you simply go under or over the pole - end of problem, as long as you move faster than th pole can be reorientated, you'll never get hit.

This talk of a web of bullets and covering the hole room at once shows how little you understand what's actually happening here. To dodge all they had to do was duck or sidestep.
Don't get your panties in a bind sir, I am not a mental midget of the type you seem to assume you're dealing with. Your assumption that I'm talking about a "web of bullets" shows that you don't understand my point. You don't need to cover the WHOLE ROOM, only the portion of the room that the Agents can move to. What needs to happen is you need to make sure that a bullet will pass through a space that you know the agent will be occupying, to hit them all that needed to be done was shoot so that the place where they sidestepped to would have a bullet in it by the time they got there... oh what's the fucking point? It's late and I need to stop typing.

...I completely agree with you the Agents being play-balanced though.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Sriad wrote: Don't get your panties in a bind sir, I am not a mental midget of the type you seem to assume you're dealing with. Your assumption that I'm talking about a "web of bullets" shows that you don't understand my point. You don't need to cover the WHOLE ROOM, only the portion of the room that the Agents can move to. What needs to happen is you need to make sure that a bullet will pass through a space that you know the agent will be occupying, to hit them all that needed to be done was shoot so that the place where they sidestepped to would have a bullet in it by the time they got there... oh what's the fucking point? It's late and I need to stop typing.

...I completely agree with you the Agents being play-balanced though.
The web-o-bullets part was in reference to Spanky's post, and again how can you hit them when all they have to do is duck, jump or sidestep (they are dodging bullets - they are moving faster than you can traverse the gun). The only way to hit them is if they are too slow to move out the way of your traverse and therefore as slow as Omega-13 was saying. :wink:

Either way, the Agents in Matrix reloaded were much faster (they could dodge bullets at pointblank range, they could almost land a blow on Neo and they were confident enough in their new abilities to take him on at the beginning despite knowing that he could beat the older version from the first film.).

Image Image
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Rob Wilson wrote:Actually, on the Agents abilities, does anyone else think they are play balanced? Strong enough to be unbeatable by normal humans despite inbuilt imperfections, but not enough to take on the One.

-snip

I think the only unfettered Agent we've seen is the guy in white protecting the Oracle. He matched Neo with no problems, perhaps he is analogous to a Firewall ensuring that only the correct things are allowed near the Oracle, so there are no restrictions on him.
One quick question. In an FMV sequence of Enter the Matrix, Ballard seemed to be able to match Seraph hit for hit. Does that indicate that even Seraph's combat routines are scaled to the opponent's?
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Lord of the Farce wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
One quick question. In an FMV sequence of Enter the Matrix, Ballard seemed to be able to match Seraph hit for hit. Does that indicate that even Seraph's combat routines are scaled to the opponent's?
I take it Seraph is the guy in white, in which case did this Ballard beat Seraph, or did it end in a stalemate as Seraph tests him (like Neo).

Image Image
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Rob Wilson wrote:I take it Seraph is the guy in white, in which case did this Ballard beat Seraph, or did it end in a stalemate as Seraph tests him (like Neo).
Ballard managed to land a few good ones, but Seraph stopped the fight before it went for long. And judging from Ballard saying "The only thing you know about me is that I was about to kick your ass", it was still pretty inconclusive... *shrug*
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Lord of the Farce wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:I take it Seraph is the guy in white, in which case did this Ballard beat Seraph, or did it end in a stalemate as Seraph tests him (like Neo).
Ballard managed to land a few good ones, but Seraph stopped the fight before it went for long. And judging from Ballard saying "The only thing you know about me is that I was about to kick your ass", it was still pretty inconclusive... *shrug*
If Seraph stopped the fight, I'm going to go with him only puting out enough to test Ballard. To stretch my Play balance analogy some more, it's like a computer that will keep rampng up the difficulty level until it finds your level. I doubt Seraph was ever worried about a normal human, it might be different if he met a rogue programme, no need to test levels, just kill the thing before it can threaten his protectee.

Image Image
Omega-13

Post by Omega-13 »

Either way, the Agents in Matrix reloaded were much faster (they could dodge bullets at pointblank range, they could almost land a blow on Neo and they were confident enough in their new abilities to take him on at the beginning despite knowing that he could beat the older version from the first film.).
Do not forget, they were also much stronger, when Neo said "agents are coming' the reinforced steel door deformed several inches, and knuckle marks were scene from the Agent. Later the roof of the car was ripped off with a simple back hand. In the first film, it took smith a few seconds to get Morphs hands off his neck, so I don't think Morph is as strong as thompson or johnson...
just something to think about
derek_m_p@hotmail.com

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Omega-13 wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:HEY!!! SMITH IS NOT WEAK!!! HE PWNS OTHER AGENTS!!!!

He even assimilated Thompson, right?

Smith is still superior.
Sorry man, maybe his acting and character but not abilities,
I just saw the matrix reloaded again tonight,

he is sub par to other agents
Well that fucking sucks and blows at the same time, Smith is supposed to be best.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Subpar to upgraded agents. So he's still pretty cool. :D
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

neoolong wrote:Subpar to upgraded agents. So he's still pretty cool. :D
Ahh, but can't he like upgrade himself to them too? I mean smith is my favorite character, he must rock, or else I shall become terribly dissapointed :P
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Illuminatus Primus
All Seeing Eye

Post by Illuminatus Primus »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Omega-13 wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:HEY!!! SMITH IS NOT WEAK!!! HE PWNS OTHER AGENTS!!!!

He even assimilated Thompson, right?

Smith is still superior.
Sorry man, maybe his acting and character but not abilities,
I just saw the matrix reloaded again tonight,

he is sub par to other agents
Well that fucking sucks and blows at the same time, Smith is supposed to be best.
Smith isn't an Agent anymore.
"You know what the problem with Hollywood is. They make shit. Unbelievable. Unremarkable. Shit." - Gabriel Shear, Swordfish

"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi in reply to an incredibly stupid post.

The Fifth Illuminatus Primus | Warsie | Skeptical Empiricist | Florida Gator | Sustainability Advocate | Libertarian Socialist |