Torchwood Ep. 1x02: Day One [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Drooling Iguana wrote:I just hope that having this earthbound show running will force the Doctor Who writers to actually start setting some episodes on alien planets next season instead of having them just hang around Earth all the time like they've been doing for the past two years.
Sorry but no. Theres an interview with Davis on the bbc where he discusses season 3 and says that its going to be focused on earth, just like the first two.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Well, at least there's a chance that they'll cut down on the number of episodes on contemporary Earth.

Ah well, a guy can dream, can't he?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Doctor Who is always about contemporary Earth being a big part of the story thread. From day one this has been the case, so it's not something I'm getting too worked up about.

Besides anything else, it costs a lot to go to new and fantastic planets. That's why even spaceship shows rarely do it.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Thats a point, when will we be hearing from our Knurd Defender of Doc Who, Stark? He must have seen it by now! I like to know what he thinks of such things.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Wow. That story was stolen STRAIGHT from that 90s remake of "The Outer Limits".
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

weemadando wrote:Wow. That story was stolen STRAIGHT from that 90s remake of "The Outer Limits".
Yeah, but it's set in Britain. That makes it all seem fresh to me.

I think a few Torchwood eps are going to be spruced up versions of old stories, to be honest, and I think they can get away with it because the setting and environment is sufficiently different.

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

Lord Woodlouse wrote:
weemadando wrote:Wow. That story was stolen STRAIGHT from that 90s remake of "The Outer Limits".
Yeah, but it's set in Wales. That makes it all seem fresh to me.

I think a few Torchwood eps are going to be spruced up versions of old stories, to be honest, and I think they can get away with it because the setting and environment is sufficiently different.
Corrected.
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wales isn't part of Britain now, Dorsk?
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

No. Shit, read it as England...
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Dartzap wrote:Thats a point, when will we be hearing from our Knurd Defender of Doc Who, Stark? He must have seen it by now! I like to know what he thinks of such things.
It's not as dark or serious as I'd expected, but it's neat. I particularly enjoy the blue 'distract the driver' Torchwood neons on the Torchmobile. :) The utter non-secretness of Torchwood was also surprising: they don't even attempt to impersonate others, just happily announce themselves as Torchwood.

I'm happy with the Big Gay Agenda and the hilarious 'swearing Welsh people' thing, though. And Ianto Jones is the greatest receptionist ever. 'Do you want me to do any attacking, sir?'
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Well, it was alright. I wouldn't go mad on it yet. I thought it tried a little too hard to impress with its 'adultness.' Hopefully they're just doing that for the first few to differentiate it from Who, though.

And I wonder why the hand is so important to Jack... Obviously it's the Doctor's, but still...

And, incidentally, Jack's swordfighting is pretty novice and unpracticed, not like the Doctor's at all. This is a good thing. Nice to see his wristwatch-sonic-screwdriver back, and one wonders whether that's an ordinary revolver... And if he's got another Compact Laser Duluxe anywhere...
Last edited by NecronLord on 2006-10-25 05:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

You can certainly see that Torchwood, while not officially announced it seems, are pretty open. A bit like a common local, ET investigating version of MI6 who were only officially recognised in the '90s.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Presumably they're moving towards openness. They must do so to be so well known and rememebered in the future.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

NecronLord wrote: And I wonder why the hand is so important to Jack... Obviously it's the Doctor's, but still...
Perhaps he thinks he can use it as a kind of biological scanner to locate the Doctor if he turns up again.
Presumably they're moving towards openness. They must do so to be so well known and rememebered in the future.
Well realistically they would need to be somewhat open in order to have some pull without going to the PM every time. Otherwise they show, say there Torchwood, and get thrown out as some idiot science club. Plus the more often they show up, the more they be talked about by officers who were on the scene when this group took over things.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Russel T. Davies: "Oh wow, lets be more adult by inserting naughty words like "twat", "shit" and "fuck"! And lets have lesbian sex and a alien gas entity that is addicted to sex! And BLOOD!!!" :roll:

Apart from RTD overdoing things on the "adult" front, I enojoyed the first two episodes so far, though how come their Torchwood headquaters is so understaffed and pretty dingy? And while Daleks and Cybermen is not good news for any business, I doubt the Torchwood Institute at London would be permanently out of action after last season's final (despite the need for decorating and staff hiring).

And I really find it odd that the Torchwood operatives will go to convoluted lengths to cover deaths of civilians at the hands of aliens as it seems a little pointless now. Especially after the public has seen evil shop dummies on the rampage, UFOs (or Daleks) in the sky and Cybermen marching everywhere.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I think it's pretty amusing that many people I've spoken to simply didn't notice the man gayness, but think the woman gayness is lame. I thought it was funny. :D
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Will this show show up anywhere besides the U.K.?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Wow, that was an enjoyable show. I was somewhat shocked to see someone wanking on TV. Though I couldn't help wondering what would have happened if the alien had inhabited an ugly person.

In short, I'm hopeful about this new show. I'm wondering how long Gwen will remain the odd one out of the group, and who will be the first to die.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Gandalf wrote:Wow, that was an enjoyable show. I was somewhat shocked to see someone wanking on TV. Though I couldn't help wondering what would have happened if the alien had inhabited an ugly person..
I kinda of liked the scene with the voyeuristic club manager, but to be honest I thought the girl who was possed was rather unremarkable looking (although she was not ugly as such).
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Big Orange wrote:And while Daleks and Cybermen is not good news for any business, I doubt the Torchwood Institute at London would be permanently out of action after last season's final (despite the need for decorating and staff hiring).
Except for all we know they were all converted by cybermen or shot down like dogs by the Cult of Skaro.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Enigma wrote:Will this show show up anywhere besides the U.K.?
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation are partners for the series, so they'll probably start airing it before it finishes. It'll probably be marketed internationally just like Doctor Who was.

As for the adultness of it all, well, I think the language was all fairly realistic. It was not totally overboard and I speak among friends with that kind of language easily enough. That being said RTD has said he purposefully dropped an F bomb at the very begining of the series so any parents sitting down to watch the show with their kids would know to stop watching it or get their kids out of the room.

The only potentially overboard bit was the sex-addicted alien, and that episode was not written by RTD (he only wrote the first ep, and that's all he's writing. The main writer appears to be Chris Chibnall).

Darn
Redshirt

Post by Darn »

Big Orange wrote:Russel T. Davies: "Oh wow, lets be more adult by inserting naughty words like "twat", "shit" and "fuck"! And lets have lesbian sex and a alien gas entity that is addicted to sex! And BLOOD!!!" :roll:
I thought it was hilarious, especially that bathroom sex scene, that they showed three times. :lol: It's like, "We can do this now, look, whee!" Awesome. Honestly, after all those violence OK/sex eeeevil american shows, something like this is just glorious.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

It's nice they use proper language too, since the US networks seem to be so strict on profanities or sexual references. Not even 24 allows you to say "goddammit" or "fuck", which you'd expect if you'd just found a nuke with seconds left on the timer or something. Neo-BSG could've had that treatment too, given they have to resort to "frack".

It's not like these shows are on before the 2100 watershed.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:It's nice they use proper language too, since the US networks seem to be so strict on profanities or sexual references. Not even 24 allows you to say "goddammit" or "fuck", which you'd expect if you'd just found a nuke with seconds left on the timer or something. Neo-BSG could've had that treatment too, given they have to resort to "frack".

It's not like these shows are on before the 2100 watershed.
I don't believe the watershed even exists in America, mate.

...and I'm glad BSG has frack, it's a nice nod to the old series. Especially since it's gone from an "Oh bugger!" phrase to an obvious "Oh fuck!" phrase through context. :)

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Not really. After 10 things get a little edgier, but not to the level of the Fuck.

'cept on Premium channels.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran