The worst TV sci-fi ending ever

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Re: The worst TV sci-fi ending ever

Post by aieeegrunt »

JediToren wrote:
Gramzamber wrote:He seriously thinks abandoning all technology and culture is justified on the grounds that it'll break the cycle or at least "buy us 150,000 years."
Imagine a drunk driver goes to prison for 20 years after killing a kid with his car. 20 years later he is up for parole. Having no access to alcohol or a car while in prison, his lawyer exclaims "He's learned his lesson! Why, he hasn't even had a drink in 20 years!"
You can't claim someone (be it an individual or a civilization) has learned its lesson until it has the means to make the same mistake but makes a conscious choice not do so.

nBSG's ending really illustrates why films and TV shows are at their best when the writer's influence stops when the cameras start rolling. Writers often fall in love with their own ideas. On the DVD commentary for the Back to the Future trilogy, Bob Gale says that writing with another person really helps keep your work in check and prevents you from over-indulging.

Most of the problems with the finale really come down to this idea of Hera being the mother of us all. In order to make it fit you had to have a bunch of things happen that don't make sense. Ellen says that they should send the centurions away in oder to "break the cycle," yet in the preceding episodes it had been established that metal and meatbags going their separate ways had been tried TWICE, and Ellen witnessed both attempts!
But the presence of a functional self-repairing interstellar warship with advanced robots aboard cannot fit into our history, so that's why they make that decision.
Even though their tech base was gone and they were going to have to accept a less advanced lifestyle eventually, reverting to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle is not only a bit extreme, but doing so immediately without any kind of learning period betrays the show's realism.
But the arrival of a technologically advanced civilization 150,000 years ago would have left traces, so it is required that they act that way in order to disappear into history.

I know that some are tired of hearing this, but I think setting it in the future would have been a much stronger ending for many reasons. While many have pointed out how it makes more sense in terms of logic and evidence (and they're right on about that) it really caps the storyline of the cycle of man-machine violence and prophecies much better.
When the cycle began, their civilization stopped progressing forward and has been caught in a loop ever since. Now that they have finally learned from their mistakes, it makes sense that they return home, where it all started, to continue where they left off.
But the best part is that by setting it in the future we (the audience) have no idea how it will turn out! Up to this point they had been stuck either fulfilling grim prophecies or playing their part in a cycle of tragedy. Their future was always written one way or another. Now that they have broken the cycle, they can look forward to writing their own story, whatever that may be. There are no more plans or visions or prophecies to look to. Whatever lies ahead for them, their future will be whatever they make it, and neither they nor the audience knows that story. After the lives that they and their ancestors had been living, an uncertain future is a hopeful one.

Of course, there are other benefits of setting it in the future. You no longer have to explain why there is no evidence of an advanced civilization arriving 150,000 years ago, therefore, no need to have characters making irrational decisions or having to burn screen time on a political subplot about how to settle the planet.
The one true god's actions and plan now make sense as we understand that it's ultimate goal was to get the colonials and cylons to break the cycle and then go home to begin anew.
It still wouldn't explain why he killed off starbuck and then brought her back.

Anyway.
It is truly astonishing how RDM completely butchered the series just so he could make Hera be "special". I think the fact that her rescue inspired the Cylons and Colonials to work together, and also led to the extermination of the "bad" Cylons, and then led them to find Earth would be "speciallness" enough.

Kara Thrace's Special Destiny was covered when she plugged the coordinates for Earth into the Galactica's final jump.

There really was no reason to have them arrive in Earth's past, other than RDM wanting Hera to be "mitochondrial Eve". I've also seen that he wanted the final shot of the show to be him in Time's Square reading a magazine with Head Six looking over his shoulder.

Looks like George Lucas Effect to me. I agree that having them arrive on a future Earth with a remnant hunter gathering population would have made a lot more sense.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Honestly, I just pretend the series faded to black right after the camera panned up from the moon in the last episode. If that had been the actual ending, a lot of people would have been (rightly) livid about all the loose ends left undone, but I think throwing a surprise like that at the audience and then leaving the follow-up ambiguous would have been cool and ballsy. Probably to really make it work, you'd have to rework the final couple episodes to resolve character arcs ahead of time (Adama and Roslin's final goodbye before the battle, for example).
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Vympel wrote:The ending didn't really ruin nBSG at all for me - ... - The point of a ride is the journey, not the end, as far as I'm concerned- it was the sci-fi show of the 2000s, for me.
I dunno... I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening. Even if it was fun at first, the realisation of what was actually going on tarnishes the earlier memories. :lol:
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Kuroji
Padawan Learner

Post by Kuroji »

Steel wrote:
Vympel wrote:The ending didn't really ruin nBSG at all for me - ... - The point of a ride is the journey, not the end, as far as I'm concerned- it was the sci-fi show of the 2000s, for me.
I dunno... I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening. Even if it was fun at first, the realisation of what was actually going on tarnishes the earlier memories. :lol:
...I am totally stealing that for my sig later. That sums it up so perfectly.
Steel, on nBSG's finale: "I'd liken it to having a really great time with these girls, you go back to their place, think its going to get even better- suddenly there are dicks everywhere and you realise you were in a ladyboy bar all evening."
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Cpl Kendall wrote:V:The Final Battle pulled out one of the worst cop-outs in TV as far as I'm concerned; after the Resistance releases the red dust, takes over the LA mothership, Diana sets it to self-destruct. The human-lizard kid uses her "magic" to disarm the bomb. Magic that basically appeared out of the blue. There were vague references to her being special in the show but nothing to that extent.
I fully agree, you had shows like voyager that pulled off a weak ending to the show or the unesscary slow paced last episode of N-BSG (still better than the orignal was) but the ending to V was a cop out because unlike the other shows, mentioned it got better during each episode, and it was a shame because it had some moments of awesomeness such as Michael Ironside's character stuffing red dust on one of the vistor's and walks off as the vistor dies by it. So to turn a a episode that utilized every member of the series to that one kid turning off the bomb by magic was a big let down.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

The novelisation of the original V was somewhat better. Instead of holding the two detonation keys and going 'all glowy', its mentioned that yes, Elizabeth is special, but what she does is essentially hacks the computer and puts it into an infinite loop so that the self destruct doesn't get triggered.

Now, the weekly V series that came after Final Battle. It had potential but it killed off Martin, the Visitor Fifth Columnist, Robert Maxwell, numerous other cast members. Diana and the blonde visitor Lydia ended up squabbling like something from Dynasty. One of better characters from it was Visitor Lieutenant Scott, played ably by Judson Scott (Joachin in Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan). However, at the end, the Leader decided to make peace and Elizabeth leaves in his shuttle, looking as if she's been doped up to the eyeballs. It then cuts to an imprisoned Diana and Scott who had tried to assasinate the leader mentioning that the Leaders shuttle had a bomb in it.

Of course, nothing was heard ever since until the V reboot.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.