Matrix Reloaded Discussion [Spoilers, Matrix Reloaded]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Durran Korr wrote:Something I noticed when I saw it again today; the Merovingian says "I have survived your predecessors." So the Merovingian has been a part of the prophecy each time, apparently.
Not necessarily. He may only be referring to the fact that the previous Ones have always failed to bring down the Matrix.

Besides, the only reason the Merovingian encountered Neo is because he had the Keymaker prisoner. If he didn't, they wouldn't have met.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

What is it with movies and the invincibility of car doors? They will stop some handgun and SMG rounds, not 5.56 from a carbine! Beyond that and a piece of mecha scum I liked it a whole lot.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Durran Korr wrote:Something I noticed when I saw it again today; the Merovingian says "I have survived your predecessors." So the Merovingian has been a part of the prophecy each time, apparently.
So does that mean are rogue programs really "rogue?" Or like humans, do they think they have free choice but it's all still in the master plan? Or are they scripted to play rogue? It just seems despite all the "incidents" such as Smith being freed, they all led to Neo going to talk to the Architect.

Maybe I'm stretching, but I want the machines to win!! :-)
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Oh no, Smith was an impediment to the plan. Smith did nothing but get in the way (and it's important that he did, because it shows that he is no longer part of the system). The Merovingian may have been part of the system, still, however.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Sea Skimmer wrote:What is it with movies and the invincibility of car doors? They will stop some handgun and SMG rounds, not 5.56 from a carbine! Beyond that and a piece of mecha scum I liked it a whole lot.
The mecha was funny looking. Actually it reminded of the scene in the Two Towers when the Easterlings marched past the black gates. You have humans or orcs, and then you have the mechs or big trolls.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

piece of mecha scum I liked it a whole lot.
I saw that and instantly thought of the HAB.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Darth Balls
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Balls »

I saw it today and was really let down by it. There was an awful lot of scenes that should have just been deleted, they really ruined the movie's pacing.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Darth Balls wrote:I saw it today and was really let down by it. There was an awful lot of scenes that should have just been deleted, they really ruined the movie's pacing.
I agree, I've been suggesting to everyone I see to wait for the IMAX, which will have to be cut down to 120 minutes. Since Revolutions is coming out on the IMAX the same day and the Theater, I'm gonna see it there.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

What are everybody's thoughts on Neo's control of the machines at the end?

I have two theories. First is that Neo's Oneness links him to the matrix and, by association, the machines. The other is more interesting; The 'Real World' is another Matrix. As such is would act as another failsafe against the humans beating the machines.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Re: I just saw the matrix reloaded [Spoilers, Matrix Reloade

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Ender wrote:I just saw the Matrix Reloaded

"I love cursing in french. It's like wiping your ass with silk"

The 1000 Smith battle, the freeway chase, Morpheus vs the Vampires...

HOLY CRAP THAT FUCKING RULED!

It's everything you could want in it. My only complaint is the first 20 mins or so are a bit harder to understand if you hadn't seen the Animatrix (who was that fanboy?), but really, this is the best fucking movie I have seen in a long time. Little bit more sex then the first one, but this is an adult orientated movie. Seriously, it has the symbolism of star wars, the most fitting soundtrack since LOTR, the mindjob plot worthy of the greatest authors ever, 1^1000 times the action of the first one.

My god. I'm still realing from some of the twists and the questins it asked. This ruled. I must see it again.
ok, just saw it. Ive heard a lot of negative press about it, but it was better then expected. first off. . . wow.

in sheer coolness factor, it beats lotr, and in action packed ness, it beats almost anything else out of the water. 3 or 4 times better then aotc, easy.

I expected the plot twist of double matrix - hell, if I were making a dreamworld, I would make several sets. I will need to review the bit with the architect. very deep. neo showing god powers in the zion matrix was pretty cool - follows with smith going to the next level of of program. the assorted battles rocked.

that said, what was the point of the orgy? it seemed out of place. . . though, if orgies were in church, I might show up more =^_^=
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Ghost Rider wrote:
Crown wrote:Also, how much does the council know? Why did the councilor take great pains in pointing out that without the machines Zion wouldn't survive? If the architect is telling the truth, then do the council members already know Zion's eventual fate? Is that why they were so willing to indulge Morpheus in his personal war? Because they too believed/knew that Neo was meant to make that choice in the end, to choose the next generation for Zion?

Interesting eh?
Now that is a damn frightening thought especially considering what the whole context of what he's supposed to be.

Damn depressing really.
I thot the entire system of zion dont know a thing, and smith did the damage in his new body. I mean, why would the council help destroy zion? they wouldnt be in the new one, almost certainly.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:20 minute dancing scene: MOST BORING MOMENT OF ALL TIME.

Other than that, OMG THAT ROCKED!!!! Neo kicked Smith's butt! Morpheus was able to smack down some baddies for once (and here I thought the Twins were gonna be the "upgraded" super-powerful beings Neo was gonna have trouble fighting, but, meh - they're body guards), and Trinity almost freakin' died - PLUS THE MOTORCYCLE!!!!! OMG THE CAR CHASE ROCKED!!!! Morpheus fought an agent on top of a semi-truck for goodness sakes! The sword fight with the French dudes cronies....WOW...

Revelations: Neo "isn't" the one who'll save the world, so says the "Architech" (the man who was "born inside the Matrix, could change it to his will" from the orignal, I think). But if you ask me, this is very suspect. Remember how the Oracle lied to Neo so he could become the One? Could be the same thing here, sneaky computers. And considering that all of Neo's predeccesors took the other door that led to the rebuilding of the Matrix, and Neo took the other one, he has an even better chance IMHO.

Smith is on the inside. Whoa.

But WTF is the deal with Neo being able to use the "Force" (as my friends and I jokingly reffered to it as) to defeat those Sentinals? Neo supposed to be a WUSS in the real-world.

Can't wait for Revolutions. The big war between the humans (with mecha!) and the robots heads to Zion. Smith makes his move. ROCK ON MATRIX!
of course he's a wuss in the real world. but zion isnt real, its a second level of matrix - its why smith can get out and posess, and why neo can stop sentinals. remember, zion keeps restarting - its just another comp program.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Originally posted by Mad:
When I saw that, the only way I figured it'd be important is if these people end up dying. Otherwise, it'd be completely unneccessary. And at the end of the movie, well... Zion had been attacked. The scene was still too long, though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, the counter-attack party is destroyed. Zion is still safe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
The Architect is another AI, as I understand it.

Maybe. Seemed to fit Morpheus's descriptions. Although this seemed to be another sinister AI, instead of a man who "released the first of [the humans]" from the Matrix.

quote:
Smith has his own agenda now, interresting. It's a change from his wanting out of the Matrix from the first movie.

His jibbring about "purpose" didn't make a whole lot of sense. He didn't want to exist in the first one. He wanted OUT and the only was to do that was to destroy Zion. He said he could've terminated his being IIRC, but decided to go back to serve his "purpose". Weird change of character.

quote:
I think he's tapped into the AIs' communications, and as such can transfer information to them. That would mean he can send commands for them to follow. In this case, it seemed he sent some commands that made them break.

Was has lead you to believe this? Not that I have a better theory, but maybe there's a certain series of events I didn't put together that could've lead you to that conclusion. Either way, all will be answered in Revolutions.

the human counter attack was destroyed - they only found one survivor. zion is toast.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Durran Korr wrote:
Very intriguing. Although, it is possible that Neo did not infact have anything to do with stopping the machines. Remember the other ship wasn't too far behind, they could have just EMP'ed the area, making it (coincidently) look like Neo affected the sentinels, when in fact he didn't.
Then why does Neo collapse after doing so?
my thot is that the architect tried to shut him down. no anomaly should be in the second layer.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Mad wrote:Ack, no edit button. Anyway, there's also the matter of the spoon in Reloaded. Either that means there is a spoon as he's in the real world (plus a gift from an old friend), or that if the "Matrix in a Matrix" idea comes to pass, then that spoon is a reminder of such. ("A spoon? But there is no spoon. So this must not be a spoon. Therefore...") That scene could go either way.
I love that spoon idea. shows him the second matrix is a second matrix.

-admires beauty of idea-
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

of course he's a wuss in the real world. but zion isnt real, its a second level of matrix - its why smith can get out and posess, and why neo can stop sentinals. remember, zion keeps restarting - its just another comp program.
Zion is not the second level of the Matrix. It exists within the real world; if it were just a part of the Matrix, the machines wouldn't need to waste time sending a huge sentinel force to destroy it. They would just unplug the Zionists, delete the city from the Matrix, and restart from there. It is the real world, it is just more controlled by the machines than the humans had realized.

In a way, it is a very effective, brilliant tool; it cleans the anomalies out of the Matrix without the machines really having to do anything except for rebooting it every hundred or so years.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Aeolus wrote:
Joe Momma wrote:
Ender wrote:I think the rave was good actually. It served a purpose. It showed that they were still humans. If they were a totally militaristic society, bent only on war with the machines, then they would be almost exactly like machines themselves. That scene hammered home the point that they are still human, they still dance, celebrate, and love, they are still alive and not dead inside.
I don't object to the "eat, drink, and be merry" idea (which isn't quite what you're getting at, but along the same lines), but it seemed like a lot of people were pissing away vital moments when they should have been preparing for the wolves at the door, as it were.

quote]

But why? They can't actually win. Even before the fleet was defeated it was basically hopeless. They party was to reaffirm thier humanity and get pumped up...a giant pep rally basically
If I know Im going to die, I want sex before going. :lol:
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

SolidSnake wrote:When Neo kissed that chick to get to the keymaker, i was half expecting the chick to turn into an agent in mid-kiss.

<kiss>

Ohhh... That was the best kiss i've ever had...

<morph>

Mr. Anderson...
utterly amusing.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

[quote="Sea Skimmer"]Why didn't they use the EMP against the incoming bomb? It could have brought them a little time at least, even if another one was sent right after it.[/quothttp://bbs.stardestroyer.net/posting.php?mode=quote&p=510509e]

I was thinking it was a projectile - not stopped by emps.

you dont stop howitzer shells with emps.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

zombie84 wrote:The systemic anomoly was not the One, but the human rebellion. 99% of the people plugged in accepted the Matrix, but the 1% that didnt were the ones who woke up and began the human resistance. This anomoly was not one that could be solved through any sort of computer equation because of the human factor--random emotion cannot be computed by the machines.

So, to deal with this, the machines created the One--his purpose is to reboot the system. When your harddrive has an error on it that cant be removed, the only thing to do is to reboot the entire system and re-install the operating system.
The machines set-up zion and give them the 'prophecy' to keep them busy. Rebellion is inevitable--this is something the machines dont have any way to stop. So what do they do? Control the rebellion. The human resistance is being shaped exactly the way the machines want it to be, keeping them busy with Zion and prophecies and messiahs until the One can be created and the system reloaded to start fresh once again. The humans think they are free but they're not--it's all just another level of control. The prophecy was a lie. (Brilliant twist IMO!)
When the humans are destroyed, the One must choose 23 humans to repopulate Zion with, giving them the prophecy, before returning to the Source, so that he may be reborn again later on. This has happened five times already.
brilliant analysis
just to clear it all up. I'm pretty sure that is how the story goes, feel free to correct me.

The thing that makes Neo unique is that he has been able to control outside of the Matrix. I dont buy this Matrix-with-a-Matrix stuff. The Real World is the Real World.
The reason Neo is able to "feel" the Sentinels at the end and control them is because of Smith. Smith tells Neo that when Neo killed him, part of Neo was copied onto Smith, and that the two are now somehow linked. Smith gained some of Neo's human abilities--he began to rebel against his programming (and this may also explain his new ability to copy himself, both into machines as well as a human mind, as he does with that goatee guy). Likewise, Neo gained some of Smith's abilities--he is now linked to the machines. That is why he is able to stop them at the end of the film.

The machines did not count on this. Now Neo can control the machines in the Matrix as well as in the Real World, and he has truely become "god". This is how Neo will finally be able to overcome the Reload cycle and finally bring down the machines.

my two cents...
I would disagree. it would make much more sense for the anomaly to have an effect in a second matrix, then for someone to gain powers of god in a real world for a bit of elecricity from a computer game. this isn't freakazoid.

if you were designing a prison, wouldnt you place several levels, so they think they are free, but still yours? 8)
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

is he a computer program? what purpose does he have?

or is he another 'one'?
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Durran Korr wrote:
Zion is not the second level of the Matrix. It exists within the real world; if it were just a part of the Matrix, the machines wouldn't need to waste time sending a huge sentinel force to destroy it. They would just unplug the Zionists, delete the city from the Matrix, and restart from there. It is the real world, it is just more controlled by the machines than the humans had realized.

In a way, it is a very effective, brilliant tool; it cleans the anomalies out of the Matrix without the machines really having to do anything except for rebooting it every hundred or so years.
they would if the machines were in a second matrix and didnt know - thats why smith was so confused.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Enforcer Talen wrote:
is he a computer program? what purpose does he have?

or is he another 'one'?
Just an old computer program. He may have had a purpose at some point but at this point he doesn't appear to. He just enjoys living in the Matrix.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Sea Skimmer wrote: Beyond that and a piece of mecha scum I liked it a whole lot.
You mean you haven't heard? An army of those is what's going to save the day at the end of movie 3! :P
JADAFETWA
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

IG-88E wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote: Beyond that and a piece of mecha scum I liked it a whole lot.
You mean you haven't heard? An army of those is what's going to save the day at the end of movie 3! :P
Against a bunch of robot tanks no less. :D