BSG: "Home" Part 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

InnocentBystander wrote:So was I the only one that found it strange that Caprica Boomer knew something that dead-in-the-morgue boomer heard? Regarding when Boomer said "You asked why", after Adama was finished choking her, in case no one knows what I'm talking about.
Galactica Boomer could still be essentially a "hot-michrophone" for lack of a better term. Still picking up sights, sounds etc and transmitting them back to the other Cylons.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Skylon wrote:
InnocentBystander wrote:So was I the only one that found it strange that Caprica Boomer knew something that dead-in-the-morgue boomer heard? Regarding when Boomer said "You asked why", after Adama was finished choking her, in case no one knows what I'm talking about.
Galactica Boomer could still be essentially a "hot-michrophone" for lack of a better term. Still picking up sights, sounds etc and transmitting them back to the other Cylons.
Yes, but that leads me to believe there's some non-living bits inside the human-cylons. And non-living bits might be detectable, ya know?
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

LadyTevar wrote:as for the BSG Wiki... make sure that's for neo-BSG, not oldBSG. IIRC, that information was true for the original.
Well it's an "all series" wiki which segregates the entries for subjects. The mentioning of the 13th tribe leaving after the others was referenced as "Mini Series".

Funny thing is that after watching all the stuff in the TV series I still don't feel much urge in watching the Miniseries.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Funny thing is that after watching all the stuff in the TV series I still don't feel much urge in watching the Miniseries.
I would recommend it. If you have enjoyed the series so far and aren't a fanatical Old BSG purist (as most who commented on it here were apparently), you'll probably like it. It makes some of the earlier episodes clearer, and contains some of the better scenes of the series IMO.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Noble Ire wrote:
I would recommend it. If you have enjoyed the series so far and aren't a fanatical Old BSG purist (as most who commented on it here were apparently), you'll probably like it. It makes some of the earlier episodes clearer, and contains some of the better scenes of the series IMO.
It's possible he'd hate it too. I love the series, and to think I almost missed it because the mini sucked balls so bad.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Knife wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:
It's possible he'd hate it too. I love the series, and to think I almost missed it because the mini sucked balls so bad.
The mini was hit and miss. Several great scenes but alot of boooring stretches in between.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

From what I've seen, people who got into the series without watching the Mini, then who saw the Mini rather liked it. Its mostly people who saw the Mini first, then the series who dislike the Mini.

I myself saw the first two episodes of BSG before I saw the Mini (truth be told I only saw the second half of the Mini) and what I saw of the Mini looked very good and felt just like the series. I liked some of the chilling moments like when Apollo has the fleet jump and leave behind the non-jump capable ships. You hear them pleading over the radio asking for cordinates to try and head to at sub-light speed. Then just as they are preparing to jump, a massive Cylon strike force enters the area and launches a barrage of missiles to wipe out the ships. All those people, dead.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

I rather liked the Mini, it was great sci-fi. Then again there wasn't much "good" sci-fi to compare it to at the time :?
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Alyeska wrote:From what I've seen, people who got into the series without watching the Mini, then who saw the Mini rather liked it. Its mostly people who saw the Mini first, then the series who dislike the Mini.
That's somewhat like myself. I thought I'd give "33" a shot despite a lot of negative word about neo-BSG on the net... and I thought "WTF?!? That was the tightest TV show script I've ever seen."

A few weeks later I saw the first half of the mini and I thought "What a slow-moving show, compared to the series!"

After "Kobol's Last Gleaming" I finally saw the whole mini through, only then I found out that while the mini wasn't a stinker, it had a lot of missed storytelling opportunities. All the character interaction weren't as snappy as the writing on the series and they didn't show as much tell us that there was a nuclear holocaust going on.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

I was hardly thrilled about the prospect of the new BSG. I was hardly a fan of the old one to begin with. Watched the mini mainly because my roommates were, but I was pretty damn cranky having mono at the time and all. Thought it had some potential, but again I was cranky so I think I short-changed it.

Watched "Bastille Day", then dug up the previous two episodes and felt myself sucked into a sci-fi show in a way I hadn't since Babylon 5 ended.

On re-watching the mini, it was a very good pilot, and did a great job setting the series up and even stands alone nicely.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

You know, in most cases people tend to like something, then once the honeymoon period is over they manage to convince themselves that they really hate it. Here it seems to be the opposite happening.
:D
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Spyder wrote:You know, in most cases people tend to like something, then once the honeymoon period is over they manage to convince themselves that they really hate it. Here it seems to be the opposite happening.
*shrug* if you say so. I think that the series is a better quality of story telling that makes the mini pale in comparison. If the series were of the same caliber of the mini, I'd not watch it.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Did the nebula remind anyone else of the opening sequence of the original BSG?
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

I am starting to get the feeling that the Earth the Colonials have found is a Cylon fabrication.

It is however a trap, set carefully and deliberatly by the Cylons. It is just far enough out for Boomer to have her child before the fleet arrives. Once the Cylons have the child, the commandment from their god to reproduce has been completed and they are free to wipe out the fleet at large.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I have a theory, but as I've hear rumors of this as a spoiler before I'm going to protect it. The folowing broken link is to an image of the URL of an image that has the spoiler/theory in it. Thus if you don't want to read it there is not way you can

++http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8332/spoil29tl.jpg
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Spyder wrote:Has anyone got a torrent? Mininova and torrentspy have failed me and it will be many, many months before BSG filters it's way down here.
They're posted regularly on alt.binaries.multimedia.sci-fi. You're an ASVS reg, you should know how to get them better than most of the yahoos here ;)
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Managed to get it in the end. My news server sucks balls, doesn't even carry that group. :(
Even if it did, often half the binaries wind up getting stripped out. Considering signing on for a proper NNTP service.
:D
Thag
Jedi Knight

Post by Thag »

Something I was thinking about after the episode ended: according to the prophecy, Roslin only has to find the path to Earth before she dies. Well, they've got the path now. Does that make her expendable?
"And the sign said, 'Anybody caught tresspassing, will be shot on sight.' So I jumped over the fence and yelled at the house, 'Hey! What -'" BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM*BAM
Srynerson
Jedi Knight

Post by Srynerson »

Thag wrote:Something I was thinking about after the episode ended: according to the prophecy, Roslin only has to find the path to Earth before she dies. Well, they've got the path now. Does that make her expendable?
That might have been the original intention, but presumably no longer is. The special Sci-Fi ran on nBSG some months ago included an interview with the actress stating that the President was originally going to die relatively early in the series, but as the first season progressed, Moore and the other execs on the show thought that there was "more to explore about the character" or words to that effect. The implication I took from that is that the character will be around for awhile.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

5/5

Fucking AWESOME! :mrgreen:

Six fucking with Baltar just to get her shits and giggles. Zareck continuing to be the butt-monkey of the show. Boomer mixing truth and lies willy-nilly. Dr Coddle!

Okay what we know for certain; Cylon's do indeed upload when they die, but the point of 'death' is a bit unclear. Boomer 'claims' that she doesn't know anything about what the 'other' Boomer did, and yet she manages to make the old man's blood go cold with four little words.

Is Boomer really free of any 'sleeper' programs though? I don't think so, not convinced yet.

Poor Chief/Helo. Can anyone say 'awkward'?
Akaramu Shinja wrote:Caprica-Boomer said "Ask me why" and while it's a hint at what he said to dead-Boomer, she clearly didn't know. She just knows he wants to find out the truth behind it. Or maybe I'm the only one that managed to follow it like that, if anyone disagrees, I expect boot licking when we find out I'm right later on in the series :P
Actually she said; "And you ask why." :wink:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Crown wrote:Actually she said; "And you ask why." :wink:
Hm I went over it again, closed my eyes and yeah, you're absolutely right. Curious...
アカラム

I melt two faces in the morning. I melt two faces at night. I melt two faces in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I melt two faces in time of peace, and two in time of war. I melt two faces before I melt two faces, and then I melt two more. - Ballad of a PK
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Akaramu Shinja wrote:
Crown wrote:Actually she said; "And you ask why." :wink:
Hm I went over it again, closed my eyes and yeah, you're absolutely right. Curious...
I thought she'd said "you ask(ed) why". Thanks for clearing that up :)

Uranium? I'd never thought of the comparsion until you'd mentioned it, but you're right the oldBSG did start with a very nice picture of a nebula during the "Life here started out there" opening.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

MariusRoi wrote:I have a theory, but as I've hear rumors of this as a spoiler before I'm going to protect it. The folowing broken link is to an image of the URL of an image that has the spoiler/theory in it. Thus if you don't want to read it there is not way you can

It's not showing up for me... there's just a white page with the img code on it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Just saw it...

Might Six be something other than a Cylon? This series' version of Count Iblis, perhaps? The physical one we saw in the mini might be a real Humanocylon (since we've seen more of her on Caprica), but are there any real evidence that shows us whatever Baltar's imaginary Six learns affects the rest of the Cylons in any manner?

Oh, and "Fracking hypochondriacs! There's one on every bloody ship!".

Priceless. :lol:
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

LadyTevar wrote:
MariusRoi wrote:I have a theory, but as I've hear rumors of this as a spoiler before I'm going to protect it. The folowing broken link is to an image of the URL of an image that has the spoiler/theory in it. Thus if you don't want to read it there is not way you can

It's not showing up for me... there's just a white page with the img code on it.
I thought that at first too, but it's actually an image telling you the URL for the spoiler image.