Most powerful Abilities.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Ezekyle Abaddon
Corpse-Fucker

Most powerful Abilities.

Post by Ezekyle Abaddon »

Having leafed through some of the Vs pages on the board I realised that if some of the normal people from some of these universes happened to meet and disagree and all they had access to was their own skills that they had learned what would be the skills to have?
My personal fv for martial arts would be Cwlwhl, a merial art from 40K that was so effective that it allowed one man with an empty rifle and a bayonet to hold off an entire platoon of enemy troops and on a seperate occasion fought a daemon to a standstill.
Another personal favrite would be Enuncia from 40K, in essense it is the language of magic and allows the user to do anything as long as they know the right words to make it happen.
"Horus was weak. Horus was a fool. He had the whole galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away."

And I stand by what I said.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

A language of magic in one tradition. It's still basically the same psyker voodo as everywhere else. Try to unmake the Emperor with it and see what happens. :P
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Ezekyle Abaddon
Corpse-Fucker

However it seems to have a larger mesure fo control when contrasted with other less "pure" indeviduals like penitant psykers.
"Horus was weak. Horus was a fool. He had the whole galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away."

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Ezekyle Abaddon wrote:However it seems to have a larger mesure fo control when contrasted with other less "pure" indeviduals like penitant psykers.
Penitent psykers are pretty much just poor sods whose brains have been wired. But yes, using words - be they Enuncia, High Gothic, or various other languages - as focussing tools seems to have a distinctly positive effect...

And of course, Demons are created with true names, that give power over them.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

In any case, this thread will soon become an unspeakable wankfest. "Q can do anything" or just general "Omnipotence, that's the skill to have" will appear dueced quick. I'm tempted to lock it, but I'll let it go for now to see if anything good comes of it.
Nyrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Nyrath »

NecronLord wrote:In any case, this thread will soon become an unspeakable wankfest.
Call me a cynic, but that does seem to be the fate of all threads that start with "...what if all the X of different universes could meet..."
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Nyrath wrote: Call me a cynic, but that does seem to be the fate of all threads that start with "...what if all the X of different universes could meet..."
Anything invoving "Most powerful" generally does...
Ezekyle Abaddon
Corpse-Fucker

Sorry about that I'll see about putting hard limits in place to try and stop this.

1.Forget Enuncia, no magic or anything else that is drawn from a source away from you, and this includes Ki and things like Dragonball.

2.No gods,Demi-Gods,angels, this is about humans and near humans duking it out with their fists,brains and hearts to see what will be the winner.

3.only martial arts, no cyber inhancements,anyone could have these and use them to improve their skills.

4."this is not about life,it's about death" consider this to be a fight to the death with something at stake that will make the people fight to their very best for what or who they believe in. :oops:

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

As far as martial arts go, you can't go past Hokuto Shinken, used by Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star. Not merely because it's horifically good at making people explode, it can be used to heal as well as alter your physical capabilities as well. I mean, it's mostly for making people explode, but other options do exist.

From 40k, you can't really go past the Mantis Legion's 'haze state', where their perception is dramatically increased, though that's more a function of their bizarre genetics before anything else.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Well then, for innate talents used by a human that almost anyone could have:
"Editor" - From Animal Man. Grant Morrison (The writer) had himself as a totipotent character in the last two issues of the series :P .

Apart from that, my favorite martial art styles would probably be:

"The Kick of a Thousand little legs" (Discworld).
The Luggage. It tramples you. Get the point?

Déjà fu
Quick & Dirty summary wrote: the practitioner travels in time as well as space. He can go back in time and hit his opponent with a series of punches. From the opponent's point of view, the practitioner is standing motionless in front of him, but he feels the effects from the past attacks. Also, the practitioner can put parts of his opponent's body out of time with respect to the rest of the opponent, making attacks ineffective, preventing the opponent from moving or causing the opponent to trip.
In short, your opponent has truly lost the fight before he even met you :P.
Therefore the famous Rule: wrote:"Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!"
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Many abilities demonstrated by Amberites and Lords of Chaos in Zelazny are pretty powerful. Maybe not IMMEDIATELY powerful (lacking in instant effect), but definately more powerful than any 40k stuff that I've seen.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Similar to Déjà Fu, is temporal fugue from Creatures of Light and Darkness. A master can travel back in time a bit and strike the enemy in the past, loop himself in time for an army of alternate selves, and survive the demise of those alternate selves.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Would a Spikard from Amber count? It's tied to thousands of various power sources and just gives its owner a massive amount of power. I believe the Chaos Lord had one, Merlin does and Oberon might have...
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
kinnison
Padawan Learner

Post by kinnison »

The truname magic from the Earthsea series sounds quite cool; know something's true name (given to it at creation) and you can do pretty well anything with it. Basically, it's magic based on words.

The balance for this is that you have to have the innate talent and a hell of a lot of knowledge; even if you have the talent you don't get the powers for free.
Vegi
Redshirt

Post by Vegi »

Time Lord Regeneration. That would be a really cool thing to have. Oh you're gonna die....not so fast...new body....good to go for another few hundred years.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

DEATH wrote: Apart from that, my favorite martial art styles would probably be:

"The Kick of a Thousand little legs" (Discworld).
The Luggage. It tramples you. Get the point?

Déjà fu
(snip)
In short, your opponent has truly lost the fight before he even met you :P.
Therefore the famous Rule: wrote:"Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!"
See, stuff like this is why Douglas Adams isn't funny, and pretty soon Terry Pratchett won't be either. DEATH, do your favorite authors a favor and stop quoting them, because you make it sound so incredibly lame when you do. Call it the Monty Python and the Holy Grail Effect if you must.

Anyway, back on topic, I thought one of the best natural abilities I've ever seen was the one displayed by the mouse-like aliens in the Conqueror's Heritage trilogy: the ability to manipulate your enemies into cooperating with you, or even killing each other, without having to lift a finger. Whether it's being done by Sun Tzu or Grand Admiral Thrawn or the Second Foundation or Puss in Boots, who looks too adorable to fight. Winning without wasting resources is sexy.

Who needs super-duper martial arts when you can just stack the deck ahead of time.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Aside nifty psi powers without the problem of going insane? Or shape shifting?

Well, I once saw a movie called "spy game". The spies were able to notice allot of information and put it together like it was a simple puzzle that normally wouldn't be noticed. It was incredible. The guys could bluff and argue very well as well. If I could do that, that would be very cool.
Ezekyle Abaddon
Corpse-Fucker

Sort of like the Bene Gesserit from Frank Herberts Dune series who have abilities like minute perception witch allows them to notice fighteningly small details that would go unnoticed by anyone else and formulate plans and stratagies because they can draw on the experiance of the others in theri family line thanks to their other memory.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I absolutely loved the Guide Mark II from 'Mostly Harmless', and its main abilities (reverse temporal engineering and unfiltered perception of the Whole Sort Of General Mish Mash) were pretty ridiculously powerful.