Most Minimalist Science Fiction

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Most Minimalist Science Fiction

Post by General Mung Beans »

Although pretty much most science fiction seems to be minimalist in some ways, what is the most minimalist?

I would have to say Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is the most minimalist one I've come across. Trantor, a planet-spanning city is said to have only forty billion people and it is mentioned that less than ten ships of the line were needed by Cleon II's father to conquer much of the Galaxy from his predecessor.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Iosef Cross
Village Idiot

Re: Most Minimalist Science Fiction

Post by Iosef Cross »

At the time that the foundation series were written the world had only 2.4 billion people and there were sci fi settings were the world had incredible 5 billion people (with most trying not to starve).

A population of 40 billion was the 500 trillion of nowadays. :D
Iosef Cross
Village Idiot

Post by Iosef Cross »

The Planet of the Apes movie series were a bit minimalistic, considering that the clash of a few dozen monkeys with some mutants in the ruins of a cathedral in new york caused the end of the world in the second movie.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Iosef Cross wrote:The Planet of the Apes movie series were a bit minimalistic, considering that the clash of a few dozen monkeys with some mutants in the ruins of a cathedral in new york caused the end of the world in the second movie.
I thought that was because the Cobalt Bomb was so powerful it blew up the Earth?
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

This is an inherently vague topic. Does a planet with only a single person left alive count as "most minimalistic"
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

General Mung Beans wrote:I would have to say Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is the most minimalist one I've come across. Trantor, a planet-spanning city is said to have only forty billion people and it is mentioned that less than ten ships of the line were needed by Cleon II's father to conquer much of the Galaxy from his predecessor.
On the other hand the Galactic Empire encompasses 25 million worlds, which is pretty impressive.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Battletech.

Hundreds of planets with populations ranging from the millions to the billions are conquered by a force of several of the clans, which have in total less total fighting men than what the US has deployed in Iraq and replaces them very slowly.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
NDR-113
Redshirt

Post by NDR-113 »

I would have to say Isaac Asimov's Foundation series is the most minimalist one I've come across. Trantor, a planet-spanning city is said to have only forty billion people and it is mentioned that less than ten ships of the line were needed by Cleon II's father to conquer much of the Galaxy from his predecessor.
I'm not sure what you mean by "minimalist," but if you're talking minimalist technology, then the Foundation series is a good one. Generally in those books technological warfare is trumped by the use of trade, superstition, mutant mental power (in the Mule's case), political machinations (in Bel Riose's case), or even differences in confidence and weakness of attack (in Stettin's case). It doesn't matter how many ships the enemy has, it is inevitable that the Foundation wins.
I'm also rather fond (as my username suggests) of Asimov's robot novels and short stories. All of Asimov's work is fairly "minimalist" in that he focuses more on psychology than on technology. He presents possible technological advances, like robots, and does it plausibly (I think), but what he is really dealing with is the reactions of humans to technology. You see it over and over again in his short stories.
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Samuel wrote:This is an inherently vague topic. Does a planet with only a single person left alive count as "most minimalistic"
It depends on the scale of the setting. So a post-apocalyptic world with one person alive wouldn't count.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
avianmosquito
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by avianmosquito »

Zor wrote:Battletech.

Hundreds of planets with populations ranging from the millions to the billions are conquered by a force of several of the clans, which have in total less total fighting men than what the US has deployed in Iraq and replaces them very slowly.

Zor
I second that, just their low total population is enough to convince me of that.
将功成りて万骨枯る

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for life, give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." -Anonymous

"If at first you don't succeed, call an airstrike." -Anonymous

"Moral indignation is jealously with a halo." H.G. Wells
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

The topic name alone has blown my mind. Most minimalistic?

Highlander, I suppose. Does that count? We never learn anything about how the Immortals come to be, or why they work like that. They just are.

Because the sequels never happened.

-edit-

Wow, I used a lot of Italics.
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
jamsy42
Redshirt

Post by jamsy42 »

I wouldn't say 40 billion people is minimalist. I mean a colony in another star system starts with say 2000 people to start with I think it would take a very long time to even reach the billion mark.
Kif I have made it with a woman, inform the men
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

What about Back to the Future?
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'll second the Foundation stories. Not for the "minimalism" of technology, because the details were very sparse and I'm sure there are way more minimalist sci-fi stories out there when it comes to numbers. But precisely because of the Foundation stories' sparse details, I'd say it's one of the most minimalistic in terms of prose. Isaac Asimov's descriptions were very minimal, yet he was able to convey a very effective series of stories.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Edit: I apologize as in retrospect I realized that this idea got a bit away from me and the OP, but I'm posting it nonetheless.
Iosef Cross wrote:At the time that the foundation series were written the world had only 2.4 billion people and there were sci fi settings were the world had incredible 5 billion people (with most trying not to starve).

A population of 40 billion was the 500 trillion of nowadays. :D
The problem with that approach (and sadly that is what most authors and script writers do); is that it assumes humans, human culture, and human populations are going to continue to behave as and resemble what they do now; i.e., people continuing to live about the same length of time, have x number of babies at the same period of their life, etc. Just expanding it to its logical Malthusian end.

We are currently on the verge of many potential major medical and technological advances that combined could in theory radically extend human life. Now if we see a radical extension of human life coupled with some sort of reverse aging / regenerative treatment (not to mention more transhumanistic elements), combined with radical decreases in the need for cheap human labor do to advances and expansions in the development and use of robots and other forms of automation (from dumb to AI), then human life and culture as we know it is going to radically change.

One only need look at the differences in developed nations compared to undeveloped ones (or requisite historical examples). The average life expectancy is different, the birth and death rates are different, etc. All from a relatively modest development and application of science and technology. Now factor in some truly radical developments and much as life as we know it will be radically altered if not disappear entirely.

Of course people will argue that the average reader/watcher won't be able to relate and thus get into it, but I believe that a proper writer could pull it off. Certain things would have to be altered, some things could be altered in a minor way and kept up as a kind of nostalgic following, while other elements of the human condition would remain steady. Its just a question of consistency.

So I guess what I'm getting at is you don't necessarily need to have worlds stuffed full of people; just make sure the background of the story reasonably supports what you do write.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

If you want minimalism showcased, the SF episodes of The Twilight Zone certainly all qualify in spades: particularly episodes like "Death Ship", "Elegy", and "The Lonely".
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Isolder74 wrote:What about Back to the Future?
I'd say that's more simplistic than minimalist. Sure just one scientist invents time travel but he does so with wanktech that runs on plutonium or lightning strikes.
Nothing is really explained other than "the flux capacitor makes time travel possible", but then nothing needs to be explained.
If you count the sequel then it's as far from minimalist as possible. Flying cars? Personal fusion reactors that run on garbage? In 2015? Heh.
Actually if we don't have hoverboards in 5 years I will be very disappointed.
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker