Lizard?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Lizard?

Post by Kitsune »

Ok, at work I saw an animal today. It had the same basic body shape as a Gecko Lizard and appeared to be brown or redish brown. The animal was pretty small, four inches long maybe. I am wondering if Gecko lizards (or a related species) can be found in the southern Virginia or if it is an escaped "Pet." I know some people have gecko lizards in their house to deal with cockroaches.

Did a quick search but could not find anything really useful
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Wanted add that while I am near water (ocean / brackish), I am not in a very wet area so I don't think it is an amphibian. Soon after I saw it, it hid under some wood steps.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Re: Lizard?

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Kitsune wrote:Ok, at work I saw an animal today. It had the same basic body shape as a Gecko Lizard and appeared to be brown or redish brown. The animal was pretty small, four inches long maybe. I am wondering if Gecko lizards (or a related species) can be found in the southern Virginia or if it is an escaped "Pet." I know some people have gecko lizards in their house to deal with cockroaches.

Did a quick search but could not find anything really useful
I cant think of anything of that color that is a gecko, could be a salamander, hold on, let me check my books....
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Kitsune wrote:Wanted add that while I am near water (ocean / brackish), I am not in a very wet area so I don't think it is an amphibian. Soon after I saw it, it hid under some wood steps.
You dont necessarily have to be in a wet area, so long as there is moisture under rotting logs and such.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

There are hundreds of kinds of Geckos....and I believe a few are found in Virginia...at least some Lizards are...

More description of the lizard is needed...like shape of the head, tail, body, etc.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Could you hunt it down and get a photo?

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Majin Gojira wrote:There are hundreds of kinds of Geckos....and I believe a few are found in Virginia...at least some Lizards are...

More description of the lizard is needed...like shape of the head, tail, body, etc.
Hmm, I saw it from about six feet away so my ability to see details is not very good. I think I may have narrowed it down to a could of possibilities. It did appear to be very slender and did have limbs so it is not a glass lizard. It did not appear to have stripes either.

I found a website on virginia lizards soon after sending the second message.

This is one possibility:

Little Brown Skink

Picture

I cannot completely rule out salamanders.
Thomas Paine

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

A skink is the most likely possibility.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

it is either the skink, or possibly a red eft(juvinile red spotted newt)
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/wildlife/sp ... 0065-2.jpg

Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

could also be a dusky salamander, but they are aquatic, so it is unlikely.

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:it is either the skink, or possibly a red eft(juvinile red spotted newt)
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/wildlife/sp ... 0065-2.jpg
Hmm, it was in direct sunlight so that is unlikely. I also did not see any spots.

The Southern Dusky Salamander has the range where I work (Norfolk Virginia) but I don't think the head looked like it and the front legs seemed to be bigger. Again, it was out during the day which seems to be something it avoids.
Thomas Paine

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Another note, according to my co-worker, it grabbed a spider. I did not see it but the skink eats spiders. She wanted to step on it and I said no.
Thomas Paine

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

I'm pretty sure it's not a gecko. They're mostly Old World. I don't think it would be an amphibian either. I say it's either a skink or an anole. If it looked vaguely like a gecko, it might be an anole. Problem is, I don't know if they're real common there.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Lazy Raptor wrote:I'm pretty sure it's not a gecko. They're mostly Old World. I don't think it would be an amphibian either. I say it's either a skink or an anole. If it looked vaguely like a gecko, it might be an anole. Problem is, I don't know if they're real common there.
I thought it might be an escapee as far as being a Gecko :)
...I did not see any Anoles listed for Virginia. Skink seems to be the far most likely creature. The water nearby has fish in it so that also is against amphibians
Thomas Paine

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Run! Gila monster! Ahhh! :lol:

And it could be one of those red salamanders. I've heard anecdotes of them being found in firewood and jumping out of fireplaces.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Old blue-tailed skinks turn a nice brown to reddish brown, sometimes with a red patch under their heads. When I read that description that's the first thing I thought of, but of course I could be wrong.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Run! Gila monster! Ahhh! :lol:

And it could be one of those red salamanders. I've heard anecdotes of them being found in firewood and jumping out of fireplaces.
No, those are Fire Salamanders in Europe. Though all tey are doing is escaping the heat of the flames...

ukamikazu
Youngling

Post by ukamikazu »

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txher ... cicus.html

I bet this is what you found based on your descriptions so far.
They're pretty cute and they control pests like you wouldn't believe. Kids love 'em, dogs and cats ignore 'em and they reproduce rapidly. I've seen some as long as 8 inches from nose to tail tip.

Also, something not mentioned in the article, they can change their skin color and texture to approximate whatever surface they're on.

And I do believe you are in the right area to host them.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

I have a rather large group of them that live outside my frint door.

ukamikazu
Youngling

Post by ukamikazu »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:I have a rather large group of them that live outside my frint door.
Tell me about it. I am pretty sure my geckos number vaery near a thousand or just slightly more.

I can hardly walk anywhere there is a light source at night without startling a couple of dozen of 'em. Of course, watching them do their kamikaze dive to the ground when they're spooked is pretty hilarious.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

It came out again today. I was not able to get a picture but it had a brown to burgandy body with red / orange stripes with a colorful head. It also had a blue to blue /grey tail. The tail seems to point it out as being a Skink. I think it is a juvenile five line skink or southeastern five line skink (could be an adult female of teh Southeastern)

Five line Skink

Southeastern Five Line Skink
Thomas Paine

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:

No, those are Fire Salamanders in Europe. Though all tey are doing is escaping the heat of the flames...
Ah, is that where the old fairy tales about salamanders being creatures of fire come from? I never understood before how cute little moist amphibians could be thought of as fireborn before.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Mayabird wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:

Ah, is that where the old fairy tales about salamanders being creatures of fire come from? I never understood before how cute little moist amphibians could be thought of as fireborn before.
Yep, that is where that comes from.

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Probably an Anole. I've seen some of them around here since I arrived.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I don't know if this is considered thread Necromancy but I was able to get a picture of the little beasty and thought I woudl post it:

Thomas Paine