Dangerous Fun In The House Of The Scorpion

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Post by Raoul Duke, Jr. »

Okay, kids -- after a long break, Walking With Ghosts is back on the road. Day Five deadline is tomorrow by 1300PST, Day Six shortly thereafter. We've almost come to the end of the subseries, too, so it'll be back to the standard Miscellaneous hijinks soon!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Good to see you back on the ball. I see Kelly wove her usual magick.
Keep'em coming!

On a totally unrelated note, that is propably the weirdest Trek limerick I've seen to date.

I Like it :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

I'm a little late hitting the keys today, kids, but I'm logged on and getting ready to rock -- a cup of java and a Lucky from now, I'll be burning through the rest of Day Five.

By the way... thanks, Kelly. You got me back on my tired old feet, sweetheart, and I owe you one. If you weren't so far away, I'd... make you blush. ;)
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Day Five complete. :D
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Raoul-this is bloody brilliant, in case you care.
And very sad, too.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Anytime, sweetie. And great chapter. Very angsty. I like angst. :D
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

I like it. I really like it. But one question: How'd you record all this stuff?
The revolution is successful, but survival depends on drastic measures. Your continued existence represents a threat to the well-being of society. Your lives means slow death to the more valued members of the colony. Therefore I have no alternative but to sentence you to death. Your execution is so ordered.

Signed,
Kodos, Governor of Tarsus 4.

The Justice League
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Baron Mordo wrote:I like it. I really like it. But one question: How'd you record all this stuff?
Well, the visual descriptions are all from memory. The particulars of the more "interesting" segments were all recorded the old-fashioned way: notepad and ballpoint. :D
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

This stuff is brilliant! I've payed the price for my lack of conviction towards the SLAM forum. (the last time i visited SLAM on a regular basis was when Armini-ass and the WCOTC DRSoW's were here)

Keep up the good work Raoul, i'm amazed you were once a VI.

One question: Just why is it called Dangerous Fun in the House of Scorpion?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Cap'n Hector
Padawan Learner

Post by Cap'n Hector »

2000AD wrote:One question: Just why is it called Dangerous Fun in the House of Scorpion?
Because that's a cooler name than Tame Fun in the Hotel of the Rabbit...
Cap'n Hector

Q: How do you play religious roulette?
A: You stand around in a circle and blaspheme and see who gets struck by lightning first.

F u cn rd ths u cnt spl wrth a dm!

Support bacteria: The only culture some people have!

Gonna Be a Southern Baptist. Music to piss off the fundies.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

2000AD wrote:One question: Just why is it called Dangerous Fun in the House of Scorpion?
Well... that's complicated, sort of -- and yet, not. *has confused himself*.

Okay, well most of these things are kind of dangerous -- to liberty, if not life and limb -- and the other half is a sort of lift from Stephen King's novel Desperation, in which he describes the desert as, "The House of the Wolf, The House of the Scorpion". Stephen King being one of my early literary influences, I guess that bit of phrase just sort of stuck with me all these years. Call it an homage, call it laziness, there it is. :)
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Now then, if I could only figure out where Cap'n Hector has gone... grr. lol
Zathras
Redshirt

Post by Zathras »

I love your site, and I especially love this article, Duke! Keep up the good work!
No one ever listens to Zathras. "Quite mad," they say....
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Day Six: Fallen Angels Never Weep

Something wet is moving through my hair, down my forehead and into my eyes. Pregnant raindrops splatter across my face. I roll onto my side; my entire body is soaked. Thunder crawls away across the city as rain beats the desert in angry sheets.

"Oh, fuck!" I try to stand, disoriented by the sudden waking and by the growing viciousness of the freezing torrent. The world spins, almost fades, but I catch myself on the tree I'd been sleeping next to. I manage to pry open my sleep-glued eyes... still dark. I have no idea what time it is.

I make my way, shivering, toward where James, Meredith and Sparky crashed out -- they're already on their feet and moving. The wind gusts, driving a frigid sheet of water against us and staggering Meredith. James catches her, but she shrugs him off.

We leave the muddy access road, and take the street that parallels University Drive. The rain lightens -- a little -- but the wind is really gusting now, its icy fingers caressing me like a sadistic lover, crawling up my sleeves and ruffling my hair. I'm shivering so violently I can barely focus on where we're going.

I'm surprised when we don't turn left onto Mill. "Where are we going?" I growl through teeth clenched against the spasms of shivering.

"I hop down the street!" James replies.
"What?" I don't get it. "What the hell are you talking about!"
"I.H.O.P.! International House Of Pancakes!" Sparky fishes a cigarette out of his pack before he realizes that it's nothing more than a stick of mush. He tosses it aside in disgust.

By the time we reach IHOP, the rain has faded completely. The wind is slacking off, too, and seems a touch warmer now; maybe that's only because my body heat has warmed the now-clinging fabric of my clothes. I realize almost too late that my chest hair is now visible through my t-shirt. Ick. I zip up my jacket, which produces a most unpleasant feeling.

"Hi, guys." our hostess, Didi, greets us. "Little moist out there, is it? Ha, ha.
"Ish." James says dryly.
"Coffee for four?"
"Thanks."

It turns out to be about 6:15 A.M. Not too bad. Our waitress delivers four snow-white coffee mugs, two small bowls heaped with creamers. As she pours our coffee from a massive egg-blue pitcher, I ask if I might have a pen and a pad of paper.
"Sure, hon." she smiles, and ambles away, leaving the pitcher.

I take the pad of previously collected notes from my pocket -- they're as saturated as Sparky's cigarettes, practically useless. I put them back in my pocket, on the off chance that the drying process won't turn totally solidify the pages and make later transcription impossible.

The coffee is heaven -- with one sugar, one cream, it becomes an elixir against the cold.
"Oh, this is good." James declares. James doesn't even like coffee.

"Here you go, sweetie." Didi chirps as she sets a dry, full pad of lined yellow paper before me.
"Thanks," I smile up at her, and go to work writing questions on the pad.
"What'cha doin'?" Meredith asks, peering across the table.
"Ssshh." I smile at her. "It's the next phase in the operation."
She giggles.

After a couple of minutes, the questions are composed, and it's time to start -- as promised -- the "next phase in the operation."
"Okay, guys," I clear my throat to get their attention. "I have some questions I'd like to ask you, and I need the most complete and honest answers you can give me."
There is general consent from around the table. I get the pen ready for their answers, and off we go:

Me: Are you living on the streets by circumstance, by choice, or both?
James: To be honest, a little of both.
Meredith: I'm here by choice.
Sparky: I'm just stuck out here until my disability money kicks in.

Me: Was there a particular event or events in your life that led you to be here?
James: I used to be in automotive sound systems, married... but I had a low-level clinical depression. When my ex-wife and I got divorced, that sort of kicked it into high gear. I lost my job, and that didn't help. I've been doing what I can since then, but I can't afford meds for the depression, because I can't hold a job long enough. Not being able to hold a job makes the depression worse.
Meredith: I couldn't stay at home anymore, so I left a long time ago. I've been surviving okay, so I just never went back. It's been about eight years.
Sparky: I'm loony, too. They tell me I'm manic something -- I these big-ass mood swings! (laughs, then frowns, laughs harder) I -- there's no way I could make it in an office, and other stuff doesn't pay enough to live on anyway, not in this town.

Me: Do you have a plan for getting out of this living situation?
James: Actually, I was going to tell you about that! I have an interview set up Monday for rebuilding amps. I also went to Value Options --
Me: What's Value Options?
James: It's this place that helps out with free helath insurance, 30-day bus passes, all kinds of cool shit. Anyway, I've got low-income housing in the works, and getting insurance set up to get me on anti-depressants.
Meredith: Jimmy and I are getting a place, and I'm going to try to go back to school at Mesa Community College to be a massage therapist.
Sparky: I'm waiting on my disability. When that comes through, I can get Section 8 housing. I won't have a lot of money, but it's better than getting rained on.
James: Hear, hear!

Me: If you could say just one thing to the people who pass you by everyday, the ones who look down on you or ignore you or call you names just because of where you're at in life, what would you say?
James: I'd say, "Watch out. You don't know how I got here, and your best guess about what tomorrow holds for you still isn't a sure thing. Don't be too proud to wonder what it's like.
Meredith: I'd say, "Do you know where I've been? I've slept in silk and I've slept on gravel, and I can tell you how little distance there is between the two. You only have to slip real bad just once, and suddenly you're here, fighting your way out.
Sparky: I wouldn't say anything. Even if I thought they'd listen, I still wouldn't say anything, because that wouldn't help. People like that, they won't get it -- they'll refuse to get it -- until they're in in, man. So when I see 'em, I just think, "Here, but for the grace of God..." I hope they never understand me, for their sakes.

I thank them for their answers, and close the notepad. Didi brings us a fresh pitcher, and a plastic zippable baggie for the notepad. The sun warms the city, and we move outside to enjoy it in a strange and suddenly awkward silence.

"The park?" Sparky asks James.
"Yeah." he nods, giving Meredith a one-armed hug, his blue eyes squinted against the sunrise. They move off. I'm somewhat uncomfortable; I'm not sure if I've said something wrong. I stand near the door of IHOP, staring toward the disappearing darkness.

"You comin', dude?" James asks over his shoulder.
Yeah. I follow them down to the park, where we find warm, already-drying grass, warming breezes, and the sounds of the lake lapping at its basin.

There is rest. There is the afternoon, sandwiches and sodas brought by friendly strangers and consumed in a cloud of half-consciousness. Then there are the evening, and the morning, and the Sixth Day.
Last edited by Raoul Duke, Jr. on 2003-05-11 10:55pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cap'n Hector
Padawan Learner

Post by Cap'n Hector »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:Now then, if I could only figure out where Cap'n Hector has gone... grr. lol
I've been experimenting with alternate data access routes...now, the latest version of Dangerous Fun is available as punch cards...just mail $99.95 plus shipping and handling for a subscription. Your handsome set of 450 punch cards will be mailed out, ten per month, for the the next 45 months!

In other news, there's now a Dangerous Fun store at CafePress, where you (currently) can't get Dangerous Fun boxers, thongs, or backpacks. However, you can get lots of other stuff...
Cap'n Hector

Q: How do you play religious roulette?
A: You stand around in a circle and blaspheme and see who gets struck by lightning first.

F u cn rd ths u cnt spl wrth a dm!

Support bacteria: The only culture some people have!

Gonna Be a Southern Baptist. Music to piss off the fundies.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Cap'n Hector wrote:
Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:Now then, if I could only figure out where Cap'n Hector has gone... grr. lol
I've been experimenting with alternate data access routes...now, the latest version of Dangerous Fun is available as punch cards...just mail $99.95 plus shipping and handling for a subscription. Your handsome set of 450 punch cards will be mailed out, ten per month, for the the next 45 months!

In other news, there's now a Dangerous Fun store at CafePress, where you (currently) can't get Dangerous Fun boxers, thongs, or backpacks. However, you can get lots of other stuff...
Cap'n Hector is just weird enough for this job... :D

EDIT: And holy shit, Cap'n! Those are some bad-ass T-shirts! The new merchandise logo not only kicks ass, it goes looking for asses to kick! :D :D :D :D :D
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Okay, kids -- Day Six will be done by tomorrow, 1900 hours, I swear to my cat. (Sometimes I swear at my cat... nevermind.)

In the meantime, I need you all to pimp these stories all over the place. Freelance work is getting thin, and as much as I hate to admit it, I need these stories and the web site to start making some money to support the time I put into them. Otherwise, it's back to making someone else rich, and that's 40 less hours a week I can devote to keeping these stories rolling. :(
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Cap'n Hector wrote:

Sweet! If I had money, I'd buy!
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

One last thing for tonight before I wander off... I posted this for the Stardestroyer.Net Poetry thread, but it sort of fits in here, too...

Ghostwalk With Me

I walk your streets
Alone, tired, and dim
I stared through the windows,
Once,
Of your shops, multicolored exuberances
Reflected on my face, but never shared.

I walk your streets
Through these endless nights
The wind my companion,
But,
We speak not; there remains little left to say
The moon keeps her own council, watching me still.

I walk your streets
The death of afternoon
Burns away the excess,
Now,
What remains is purer, cleansed in pain-striped emptiness
The mind, unmoved and moving still, gains clearer, sharper vision.

I walk your streets.

That one's for the Regulators.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:Cap'n Hector is just weird enough for this job... :D
Actually, he's weirder.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Okay, this is taking slightly longer than anticipated. Axis will be very upset. Anyway, stay tuned... it's coming. :D
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Six down, one to go! I'd like to express my hope that the shorter length of Day Six doesn't detract from its function in the narrative; because of the events of that morning, we really didn't have enough energy to do much of anything during the normal waking hours that day... although we did get some interesting things done on the morning of Day Seven.

I hope they're decent; as you know, I've recently received my share of "criticism" for them elsewhere. There's a poem a few posts back, inspired by the Regulators, as well. I don't do poetry often, so you'll have to forgive me for inflicting that on you. lol

Enjoy, kids!
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Duly enjoyed :P

Only one more to come... I know this was more or less clear from the beginning, but I'm still going to miss it.
Not to criticize your other work, Raoul, but Walking with Ghosts somehow got to me in a way the other stuff didn't. Maybe its's the contrast to your lighter work, maybe it's because its something I didn't think about much before, I dunno.
All I know is it got me thinking, and that really takes some doing :wink:

EDITed once more because of formatting
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Cap'n Hector wrote: In other news, there's now a Dangerous Fun store at CafePress, where you (currently) can't get Dangerous Fun boxers, thongs, or backpacks. However, you can get lots of other stuff...
WOW! he got those looking great! Now.. where's my credit card.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Batman wrote:Duly enjoyed :P

Only one more to come... I know this was more or less clear from the beginning, but I'm still going to miss it.
Not to criticize your other work, Raoul, but Walking with Ghosts somehow got to me in a way the other stuff didn't. Maybe its's the contrast to your lighter work, maybe it's because its something I didn't think about much before, I dunno.
All I know is it got me thinking, and that really takes some doing :wink:

EDITed once more because of formatting
Hey... don't look so glum, soldier! Day Seven is just the last day of the Walking With Ghosts subseries. Dangerous Fun in the House of the Scorpion will go on long after Ghosts is done.

When the TrekBBS trolls tried to take the fire out of this writer, they should've paid attention to the work. They didn't figure out what kind of guy I am. :D

BTW, Lady Tevar, I plan to do some shopping at the Dangerous Fun store myself. Khaki logo cap, maybe a nice frosted mug for my Killian's... the real project, though, is going to be finding some luscious young ladies to model the women's logo tank tops for a picture on the main site. Yeeaaahhh!!! :D