Superstitions

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Superstitions

Post by Jim Raynor »

Does anyone here have any stupid, irrational superstitions?
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

If you see money on the ground, pick it up and mark that spot with an X. Later that day, you'll be sure to find money. This is stupid and irrational, but it works!
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

:twisted: I hit idiots on the head for good-luck :twisted:

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

I have this irrational superstition that if I ever use a countdown on my superweapons, some plucky hero type person will infiltrate my evil lair and stop it with 1 second left, therefore I never employ countdowns.
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

*Peeks gasmask covered head over sand bags around PC sitting in a pit dug into the floor of super hardened bunker, eyes protective screen of Beaver cyborgs with railguns and F-22 ready for immediate launch with rocket boost, returns to typing*

No superstitions hear, just plenty of nice...healthy...paranoia...
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Evil Jerk wrote:I have this irrational superstition that if I ever use a countdown on my superweapons, some plucky hero type person will infiltrate my evil lair and stop it with 1 second left, therefore I never employ countdowns.
On my super and Uberweapons, stopping the countdown is what actually causes them to activate.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mine are set to go off at 2 not 0 :D

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Evil Jerk wrote:I have this irrational superstition that if I ever use a countdown on my superweapons, some plucky hero type person will infiltrate my evil lair and stop it with 1 second left, therefore I never employ countdowns.
On my super and Uberweapons, stopping the countdown is what actually causes them to activate.
Hmmm.. hadn't thought of that..

*has his underlings make the necisarry modifications*

Edit: On second thought, I also have this superstition that jobs done by my underlings will always be done badly, so I'll do it myself!
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

yeah, you just cant get good help these days...
Nick
Jedi Knight

Re: Superstitions

Post by Nick »

Jim Raynor wrote:Does anyone here have any stupid, irrational superstitions?
Mostly ciricket related:

Don't talk about how well a batsman is batting - they will get out.

Don't talk about how good a batsman is before he bats - he'll get out for a low score.

Don't let the captain express any definite plans on 'what we will do when we beat the follow-on' or 'what we will do when we pass their score' or similar situations - whatever condition the plan hinges on will not be achieved.

Don't let Dave umpire.

(OK, that last in neither irrational, stupid, nor a superstition. It is, however, very good advice)
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

aaah... sports, well back in the days when i played baseball, we used to hang up a dead fish near our dug out. befor batting everybody had to touch the fish with his bat for good luck.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ahh I see this was to get rid of the Catch right :D

Bet you then tried to touch the bat to his lips(Preably while swining at a pitch) for luck to right?

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

we needed the bat to smell like the catchers wife, so he´d touch it and we´d get a base on catchers interference.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I only hold the "traditional" superstitions of a region and culture that I might be visiting in order to fit in better and not to offend them. Other than that...

Well what they say about crazy people and full moons is true. Its not a true "superstition" but I thought I coud still work it in.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I have a superstition that the women of this world are united in one big orginazation to keep themselves from dating me. But, that's more of a conspiracy theory. I believe it because whenever I'm within 10 feet of a single woman, they suddenly become a lesbian, or get a boyfriend.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:I have a superstition that the women of this world are united in one big orginazation to keep themselves from dating me. But, that's more of a conspiracy theory. I believe it because whenever I'm within 10 feet of a single woman, they suddenly become a lesbian, or get a boyfriend.
You might want to a) lower your standards b) check your face hasn't melted off.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

You might want to a) lower your standards
no, no dont lower your standards! raise them!