What the *bleep*ck is wrong with *bleep*ing TV censoring?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Dominus Atheos wrote:
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
Repost of my relevant part:

What's even worse is word censors on forums, particularly if they're stupid ones. A good example of this can be found here. Hint: Look in any thread for the word 'cockpit'. :lol:

:)
Asterisks? That's not that funny. It would be a hell of a lot funnier if they replaced it with "Penis." :P

But yes, it is stupid.
It's supposed to not be funny. That's what makes it all the stupider.
Image Image
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

really bad would be running acceptable elesabethian high school english through a filter program....

made new double entendres where they didn't exist before, and Sheriff Dogberry (also refered by everyone in Much Ado About Nothing as "An UInsufferable Ass), get's his nickname delteted, but the whole pun about his name being litterially shit caught in the hairs of your ass. escapes.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
wilfulton
Jedi Knight

Post by wilfulton »

But one question: If the overprotective soccer moms all decide to boycott the TV/radio stations that don't bleep their swear words, what are they going to do when they're at home? They can't watch anything on TV because they're boycotting it, and they're not listening to the radio because they're boycotting that.
Gork the Ork sez: Speak softly and carry a Big Shoota!
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

I remember a TV interview with some sort of rock star in Swedish TV.

He said fuck at one time and then sorry do you want to reshoot that part.

The answer, no this is Swedish TV you can say whatever you think, and then he said "Goddamn I wish I could do that back in the states, it is fucking crayzy there"
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Kojiro wrote:Penn and Teller always say it well. If you're going to censor it, get rid of it entirely. Half assed censoring isn't.
IMHO, the more relevant point they make is that the people who call for censoring have absolutely no problem with hateful thoughts, speech, and actions. They only want people to express their hate without saying certain words. Like the dipshit soccer mom they had on their Censorship episode who objected to people using "Jesus Christ!" as an ejaculation, but had absolutely no problem spouting blasphemies of other religions whenever she gets mad.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

The only time I hear the "bleeping" is when I watch American shows on MTV.
Apart from that there's no censorship like that here. That bleeping is highly hilarious, in my opinion.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

I recall a very early episode of South Park where 70% or more of an angry rant was bleeped out. Quite frankly, the absurdity of that made it a great deal funnier than if the dialogue had been uncensored.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Dahak wrote:The only time I hear the "bleeping" is when I watch American shows on MTV.
Apart from that there's no censorship like that here. That bleeping is highly hilarious, in my opinion.
Same here to be honest, though they tend to blankout the more obvious swear words before the watershed, though most shows get away with Bloody, Moron, etc.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0