Is religion increasing?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Re: Is religion increasing?

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Dooey Jo wrote:People from different religions, such as Islam and Christianity (which really isn't that different but never mind that), claims that their religion is the one that is expanding the most in the world and they all agree that religion as a whole is expanding rapidly and atheism is getting less and less popular. I've never acctually met one who could back up his claims about this but if it were true what could the reason to this be? One would think that in these "enlightened" times people would get less religious, not more.

Have anyone else heard about this religious increase or should I asume that they are taking their claims right out of their asses?
Yes. Both Christianity and Islam are growing at very rapid rates throughout the Third World.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Dark Hellion wrote:An interesting thing i learned from the German student that came to our school was that germany doesn't have good history programs. Whereas in america we will spend a month on World War 2, talking about the different conferraces, players, major battles, and the like, German history classes tend to just barely mention that a couple million people died between '39 and '45.
Not surprising, given how ashamed the Germans are over The Second World War.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
NapoleonGH
Jedi Master

Post by NapoleonGH »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:The horoscopes would be much more amusing if they actually made specific predictions.

For example, instead of some vague bullshit like "seize opportunity when it beckons", it could say "you will get diarrhea tonight".
They'd be even funnier that way if they were made by LSD addicts.

"You will be hunted my giant insects!"

LSD is a non-addictive substance, there are no LSD addicts. the correct term for someone who uses alot of acid is an Acid Freak
Festina Lente
My shoes are too tight and I've forgotten how to dance
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

NapoleonGH wrote:
Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:The horoscopes would be much more amusing if they actually made specific predictions.

For example, instead of some vague bullshit like "seize opportunity when it beckons", it could say "you will get diarrhea tonight".
They'd be even funnier that way if they were made by LSD addicts.

"You will be hunted my giant insects!"

LSD is a non-addictive substance, there are no LSD addicts. the correct term for someone who uses alot of acid is an Acid Freak
Ooops.

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote:People from different religions, such as Islam and Christianity (which really isn't that different but never mind that), claims that their religion is the one that is expanding the most in the world and they all agree that religion as a whole is expanding rapidly and atheism is getting less and less popular. I've never acctually met one who could back up his claims about this but if it were true what could the reason to this be? One would think that in these "enlightened" times people would get less religious, not more.

Have anyone else heard about this religious increase or should I asume that they are taking their claims right out of their asses?
Yes. Both Christianity and Islam are growing at very rapid rates throughout the Third World.
But in the more developed, industrialized nations, those religions are growing slower than "no religion" and a shitload lot slower than deist.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
But in the more developed, industrialized nations, those religions are growing slower than "no religion" and a shitload lot slower than deist.
I wonder if the category of deist was only recently added, accounting for the sudden percentage gain, otherwise, you are correct. However, the demographic trends favour the third world numbers-wise. Economically power will be in the industrialized--and relatively a-religious--countries for a long time to come--but the majority of people on the planet? They will be quite religious for a long time to come.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:wait... were you in Germany??? And was the girl German???

I know that Birget was asked some horribly stupid questions by American teens...

"Is Hitler dead yet?"

"Do you have tv in Germany"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That made my day, it really did.

On topic, I don't know a single practicing Christian. I know a few that claim to believe it, but they haven't been to church in such a long time that I have to doubt they believe in it with any type of fervour. It's kindof strange because when I was in primary school we were taught the bible as fact, not as a belief, so I'd expect there to be more religious people about from that year group.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

OOPS!!!

I stand corrected corected on my demographics for Germany...

I made the mistake of skimming the state dept report on religion in Germany...

And missed the stuff in this paragraph. Though addmitedly, this was not a self-identification survey, so the number of people who actually believe this shit is probably lower.

No census that could provide official statistics on religions and creeds has been conducted since 1987. However, unofficial estimates and figures provided by the organizations themselves give an approximate breakdown of the current membership of the country's denominations. The Evangelical Church, which includes Lutheran, Uniate, and Reformed Protestant Churches, has 27.7 million members, who constitute 33.8 percent of the population. Statistical offices in the Church estimate that 1.4 million church members (or 5.1 percent) attend weekly religious services. The Catholic Church has a membership of 27.5 million or 33.6 percent of the population. According to the Church's statistics, 5 million Catholics (or 18.2 percent) actively participate in weekly services. Muslims make up approximately 3.4 percent of the population, or about 2.8 million persons.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Another strike against homeschooling is that the students involved sometimes fail to develop social skills.
Which means they won't be able to breed :lol: .

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Unfortunatly reality does not agree with your conclusion there :cry:
Talon Karrde
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Talon Karrde »

I think the tide is indeed turning. Many people are feeling a call back to religion because people are realizing that money and their own selfish lifestyles can wholly fulfill them, there will always be something more. As for who is garnishing more converts, it is the Muslims right now. In the middle east and Africa and even Asia now the Muslims are preaching heavily and gaining many converts.
Boycott France
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Talon Karrde wrote:I think the tide is indeed turning. Many people are feeling a call back to religion because people are realizing that money and their own selfish lifestyles can wholly fulfill them, there will always be something more. As for who is garnishing more converts, it is the Muslims right now. In the middle east and Africa and even Asia now the Muslims are preaching heavily and gaining many converts.
Bah, I hear that all the time but the figures don't add up.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Dark Hellion wrote:An interesting thing i learned from the German student that came to our school was that germany doesn't have good history programs. Whereas in america we will spend a month on World War 2, talking about the different conferraces, players, major battles, and the like, German history classes tend to just barely mention that a couple million people died between '39 and '45.
The hollocaust and hilters rise to powers is considered more important than
WW2 in germany. Talking to much about WW2 could backfire. e.g. students
start to admire german WW2 heroes.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Thunderfire wrote:
The hollocaust and hilters rise to powers is considered more important than
WW2 in germany. Talking to much about WW2 could backfire. e.g. students
start to admire german WW2 heroes.
It's very clear that, to paraphrase Lt. Worf, that they do not like to talk about it!

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Simon H.Johansen wrote: It's very clear that, to paraphrase Lt. Worf, that they do not like to talk about it!
How often are documentaries about the holocaust shown in Europe? They're on almost constantly over here--I'd say, averaged, near to nightly, in fact (reruns, mind you), albeit on the cable history channels which don't get many viewers, and poor time slots. Not many new ones, of course, those are pretty rare--but the material is still out there and relatively available. Most universities even down to the community college level also offer courses on the Holocaust--a full quarter's credit for taking one--and of course there are numerous publications (along with a Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C., and others in places like Houston, El Paso, Virginia, Tampa Bay, etc.). Does the Holocaust get that much attention in Europe?

Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:How often are documentaries about the holocaust shown in Europe?
Every once in a while. Historical documentaries don't really get reruns here, so they show documentaries about the Holocaust when new ones come out.
NapoleonGH
Jedi Master

Post by NapoleonGH »

Family guy i think it was had a great joke about that, the american family was visitng germany and was taking a tour. They noticed that their pamphllet (i dont remember the exact circumstances, this is paraphrasing what happened) was blank between 1939 and 1945 when they asked the german tour guy what happened between 1939 and 1945 the response was "Whole country went on vacation, NOTHING HAPPENED"

and there are some admirable people from the German military of WW2 who should be admired, like Rommel, one of the greatest military genius' of our times. Same with Durniz.
Festina Lente
My shoes are too tight and I've forgotten how to dance