Annual local flame-fest

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Zathras
Redshirt

Annual local flame-fest

Post by Zathras »

Well, it's that time of year again in my town. The gay and lesbian community has petitioned for a gay pride week, and the shit is hitting the fan.

City hall has declared such a week again this year, again for the wrong reasons. Not because they want to, or think it's a good idea, but because the gov't says it is discriminatory not to, so they have to.

Of course, there can be only one "logical" solution to this situation: turn the local tv station, the news papers, and every other public forum into a flame-fest. The fact that, being in Ontario, there is both a public and a Catholic school board only makes matters worse.

So we have school officials, priests, ministers, Joe Sixpack and every other idiot yelling about "them damned fags" while hefting the Big Bad Book as the entirety of their argument, while a few more open-minded people get their heads ripped off when they try and point out that this proclamation isn't hurting anyone!

Well, now I feel better after venting all that. Anyone else suffering through this shit in their town lately?

And no, I'm not gay, I just think this kind of thing is damned annoying, not to mention disturbing.
No one ever listens to Zathras. "Quite mad," they say....
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Well just ta let ya know, StarDestroyer is populated by mostly atheists, and there are several gay members here. So you're (excuse the awful metaphor) Preaching to the Choir. :)

(POKE!) Enjoy your stay! :)
Image Image
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

Heh, a catholic school board, that reminds me of a python song:
Every sperm is sacred...
Poke of course
Now go fix things
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

I wish people could just get over homosexuality. How can it have an effect on most jobs? I'm not gay myself, however, so I'm not sure....
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:Heh, a catholic school board, that reminds me of a python song:
Every sperm is sacred...
Poke of course
Now go fix things
I remember that song... Be lucky I have my MP3s blasting :)
Image Image
Captain Jack
Padawan Learner

Post by Captain Jack »

The way I see it: The more gay men in the world, the more women for me.
(This is a joke and is not meant to offend anyone.)
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

*summary pokage*
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Captain Jack
Padawan Learner

Post by Captain Jack »

JediNeophyte wrote:*summary pokage*
When can I start poking?
*Pokes n00b anyway*
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I have absolutely no problem with the local G&L community setting up such a week, but I do have a bit of a problem with the government mandating a celebration of it. The government shouldn't be celebrating ANY religious, ethnic, or sexual groups.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

*pokes teh n00b*

Bigots are fucking twats.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Hobot
Jedi Knight

Post by Hobot »

Personally, I think a Gay Pride parade is stupid. It seems like all it does is antagonize those who are already not too fond of homosexuals. Is there any real reason for having such a celebration? I mean you don't see people having Straight Pride parades.

Btw, I have nothing against homosexuals; I'm just interested in equality for everybody including the 18-49 year old WASP males. I HATE affirmative action and things similar to it, they're just another form of discrimination imo.