15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense

Post by aerius »

I was flipping thru some magazines in school today when I came across this article. Here's the link, read and go bash more creationists.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articl ... =1&catID=2
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Those are pretty good, even if they only brush the surface. I will try to use some of those the next time an idiot attacks evolution. Thanks.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

That's just athiestic propoganda used to attack God and his chosen people (white Christian Republicans with short/proper haircuts). Evolution is the work of Satan.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Kahlis
Redshirt

Post by Kahlis »

Meh, the nearly automatic dismissal of Behe's work at the end was dissapointing. They point out nothing about what "irreducible complexity" actually means biochemically nor the huge number of I.C.s that appear at first glance. Yeah, a lot of work has been done in recent years on the subject, but IIRC biochemical evolution still doesn't have anything resembling a concrete answer. They also may have gone a bit too far in how they drew their parallels between the standards of proof in evolution versus those in physical field theory and the like, but oh well. Pretty much stuff that needs to be heard.

Alas..
Fact 1: Ninjas are Mammals.
Fact 2: Ninjas Fight ALL the Time.
Fact 3: The Purpose of a Ninja is to Flip Out and Kill People.

Student of Mathematics and Physics at the University of Puget Sound.

Wielder and Author of the CRYPTICISM, the preferred tool of The Great Thinker.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

The Creationists will just take it, rearrange the words, translate it into Japanese and back, and say that the reposrt says "Evolution is impossible". Creationists will do anything to support their outdated theory.

Over time, the church as accepted that the Earth is round, it is'nt the center of the universe, and it's older than 6000 years. So, why can't these people just accept Evolution, like so many others.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:The Creationists will just take it, rearrange the words, translate it into Japanese and back, and say that the reposrt says "Evolution is impossible". Creationists will do anything to support their outdated theory.

Over time, the church as accepted that the Earth is round, it is'nt the center of the universe, and it's older than 6000 years. So, why can't these people just accept Evolution, like so many others.
It would have something to do with that large vacuum cavity in their cranium that was developed to ward off logic and common sense.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:The Creationists will just take it, rearrange the words, translate it into Japanese and back, and say that the reposrt says "Evolution is impossible". Creationists will do anything to support their outdated theory.

It would have something to do with that large vacuum cavity in their cranium that was developed to ward off logic and common sense.

I have a cure for that, it's called electroshock therapy, administored with an electric chair of course. :D But in all seriousness I don't think there's much hope in going after the hard core creationists, rather we should be devoting our time to flip people who are "on the fence" so to speak, or those that aren't completely brainwashed yet. Logic and sense should still get thru to them. How this would be done given our semi-retarded and ignorant society I don't know. What's working on a very small scale is educating friends, coworkers, and other people that I know so that the creationists won't be able to get to them, but other than that I have no answers.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P