A Question on the Nature of LTA craft

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Moonstone Spider
Youngling

A Question on the Nature of LTA craft

Post by Moonstone Spider »

A Blimp gains it's density from a baloonet inside a balloon, the Balloonet is filled with air and you can pump air in and out of it. As you pump in air, it becomes denser and the Zeppelin sinks, pump air out and density drops and it falls.

Here's the question, where is the potential energy for the Airship coming from? Obviously if 2,000 tons of steel and hydrogen just rose up a thousand feet in the air it has vastly more potential energy than before, but I don't see where the energy going into that came from.
Webcomic Junkie.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: A Question on the Nature of LTA craft

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Moonstone Spider wrote:A Blimp gains it's density from a baloonet inside a balloon, the Balloonet is filled with air and you can pump air in and out of it. As you pump in air, it becomes denser and the Zeppelin sinks, pump air out and density drops and it falls.

Here's the question, where is the potential energy for the Airship coming from? Obviously if 2,000 tons of steel and hydrogen just rose up a thousand feet in the air it has vastly more potential energy than before, but I don't see where the energy going into that came from.
The energy would be coming from the atmosphere. As the gasbags expand, they displace more and more air, which then pushes back, providing the lift and energy.

At least that’s how I understand it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Sea Skimmer wrote:The energy would be coming from the atmosphere. As the gasbags expand, they displace more and more air, which then pushes back, providing the lift and energy.

Ah, I just figured out how the energy balance actually works: the net change in GPE is ZERO.

Think about it: the airship is displacing a volume of air with equal mass. So, as the airship changes height, it is replaced by air at its previous height. The GPE of the airship has increased, but the GPE of an equivalent amount of air has decreased.

Cool, I'd never thought about that:> Neat question Moonstone!
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Thanks for the info, I never considered that some air lost GPE. I've been going nuts for the past 3 days trying to figure this question out myself.
Webcomic Junkie.
Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Hmm, thinking on this, would it be possible to make a pseudo-perpetual motion machine off of bouyancy? The power to pump the air in and out of the Balloonet is probably less than it a blimp rising and falling turned a turbine. . . interesting thought. Probably impractical though.
Webcomic Junkie.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Moonstone Spider wrote:A Blimp gains it's density from a baloonet inside a balloon, the Balloonet is filled with air and you can pump air in and out of it. As you pump in air, it becomes denser and the Zeppelin sinks, pump air out and density drops and it falls.

The energy would be coming from the atmosphere. As the gasbags expand, they displace more and more air, which then pushes back, providing the lift and energy.

Sounds simple and logical enough.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Moonstone Spider wrote:Hmm, thinking on this, would it be possible to make a pseudo-perpetual motion machine off of bouyancy? The power to pump the air in and out of the Balloonet is probably less than it a blimp rising and falling turned a turbine. . . interesting thought. Probably impractical though.
If nothing else, Entropy will eventually have its way with it. All the laws of Thermodynamics tie in to make perpetual motion machines impossible.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Remeber that classic joke about PM machines?

So hows the Preptual Motion machine coming?
Not good but I can't seem to stop trying

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton