A good UFO report

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

A good UFO report

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Check out this report for a day time UFO sighting.
http://www.rense.com/general29/astn.htm

What do you think.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Nick
Jedi Knight

Re: A good UFO report

Post by Nick »

KhyronTheBackstabber wrote: What do you think.
"Name withheld by request"
Bad start - no way to check reliability of source.

"No evidence of digital tampering"
The main problem I have with this statement is the first two pictures. With the way the focus is in those pictures, that camera must have an extraordinary depth of field. I'm not a photography expert, so I'd be very interested in seeing what a reliable professional had to say about those shots.

"Did anyone else see it? No."
Yet another black mark. Amazing coincidence no-one else was looking up at the time.

Opinion:
I suspect deliberate fakery, either by throwing a silvery object around (gets around the sharp focus, and apparent speed problems because it is a small, near, slow-moving object, rather than a large, distant, fast-moving object), or by playing with an image manipulation program like Photoshop or the GIMP.

The UFO people should be concerned about the prevalence of digital image maipulation programs these days - unless a large number of credible sources all agree on a sighting (i.e. news crews and professional photographers all seeing the same thing), then it is going to be dismissed as fakery by someone either tweaking the nose of the UFO twits ("Hey, you know that image you've all been going gaga over? Well, I created it on my PC in 20 minutes!"), or else a misguided enthusiast manufacturing evidence for their own cause.
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Its been super-imposed that much is obvious on two of the pictures, third the scallings off, if it where real it must be staying at EXACTLY the same distance though its obvious from his pics it does not

That or its a very tiny space-ship just 100 feet away :roll:

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

i like the enlarged pics on which you cant see shit. hasnt this guy got this xfiles programm which can on some magical way transform the shitties picture into a high res image?
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

salm wrote:i like the enlarged pics on which you cant see shit. hasnt this guy got this xfiles programm which can on some magical way transform the shitties picture into a high res image?
I kinda like the 'speculative rendering' myself. . .

Want to bet that's the original that was used to manipulate the others?
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

it looks very close, and seems to be a set of childrens ballons taped togeter. some of them have clearly been digitally enhanced. e.g. number two, there is an offset in light scource position between it and the cloulds, so wither it's digital, or made of that self reflecting stuff amidala's ship is made of in TPM, oh wait, tht IS digital. :twisted:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Whinges:

Scaling is waaay off. Its size relative to its environs could be the result of a special lense effect, but seeing as he was using a camcorder and had come straight out of an event where he would have been holding a close focus on the foreground, this is highly unlikely. This also would indicate that the object was either absolutely massive and way in the background in shot 2, or barely behind the light post and teensy weensy.

Lighting is fucked. The reflections off the craft don't match with cloud illuminations in several of the pics, notably 3 & 4.

This guy is a hack.
C.S.Strowbridge
Sore Loser

Post by C.S.Strowbridge »

If it is a real object and not digitally added then it looks like a weather balloon.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I don't know. I have a friend whose friend has an uncle who has a cousin, who has a former roommate who has a brother who knows a friend who works at Area 51. My friend said that he heard from his friend, who heard from his uncle, who heard from his cousin, who heard from his roommate, who heard from his brother, who heard from his friend that the government has UFOs just like the one on that web site.

Did I mention that I have a fire breathing dragon in my garage?
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Evil Jerk
Moderator Emeritus
Location: In the Castle of Pain on the Mountain of Death beyond the River of Fire

Post by Evil Jerk »

What a total hack! Who does he think he is posting up photos of my Evil Mind Control Spaceship!
I mean, does anybody know the meaning of privacy any.. more...

Uh.. shit.

*runs away*
Evil Horseman, ready to torment the damned!

YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Am I annoying you yet?
YOU SHALL BE AS GODS
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

All he did was just put the rendered image into the video stills and tried to match it to the blur and grain.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Re: A good UFO report

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

KhyronTheBackstabber wrote:Check out this report for a day time UFO sighting.
http://www.rense.com/general29/astn.htm

What do you think.
I'm still skeptic. If they want to prove that it's a real UFO, they should show the photos to scientists to scientists, track it, and focus in closer. It just might be a balloon they released, or something like that. They should stick to black and white pictures of blurry objects.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB