Bras made obsolete?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Bob McDob
Rabid Monkey

Bras made obsolete?

Post by Bob McDob »

dressy dressy dressy
"The advantage is that a woman with these implants will never have to wear a bra again," says Saylan.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Hmmm.....interesting. I think these will lessen or get rid of all together the soft, grabbable feeling of breasts, but that's an advantage tailored more to men so I'll wait for a female member to give her comment on this.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

I'm willing to beta-test grabbability. As long as it's scientifically rigorous, with an ample control group. 8)
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Oh yeah, the rigidness might also make some clothing harder to wear, since the chest has lost its......elasticity.

EDIT: Oh that's right, I just had another thought...

*walks by woman with large magnet....drags woman to a nearby hotel*

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Shinova on 2004-07-04 07:02am, edited 3 times in total.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Oh yeah, because every girl wants titanium tits.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Cyborg women....
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
jenat-lai
Jedi Knight

Post by jenat-lai »

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!!!

OSCAR MIKE GOLF!!!!!!

Official SD.net Simmer and Appreciator of Aircraft and Spacecraft.
Prolific vatsim pilot. See theOfficial Vatsim ATC and multiplayer traffic display
CorSec
Jedi Knight

Post by CorSec »

Actually, very interesting. However,
"It is well known that titanium meshes can lead to fibrosis in the tissue - unsightly lumps and bumps," he says.

Another potential problem is called erosion - the mesh works its way through the fat and starts poking through the skin.

More seriously, all implants increase the risk of infection.

Breast tissue can die if the blood supply is interrupted, leaving scarring.

Says Bowen: "Titanium is not biodegradable and stays in place permanently. It will be difficult to remove if things go wrong. Women may gain weight or change body shape as they get older. With a conventional bra, you can just buy a different size. A titanium implant cannot be swopped for a D cup".
not without its drawbacks. The real good news is that now comic book heroines have scientific (ahem) support for their breasts.
Saberslash
Youngling

Post by Saberslash »

Thats not right.... If women were supposed to have Titanium Breasts, wouldn't they have been born with them? Science is going too far. Whos idea was it one day to just say, "Hey, lets put Titanium in someone's boobs and see what happens!"
Big Bang----------first life-form-------Neanderthals---Birth of Jesus---Today
...................................................^
..........................................You're here
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

As we all know, unnecessary surgical procedures are much better than having a simple garment that does the same job with less risk and hassle.

I really fucking hate this trend of cosmetic surgery now. People seem to forget that "routine" surgery also has risks. Yeah, go and have that bra implant, but if you come off with having unsightly wounds or even better, an MRSA infection, don't even think of sueing.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: Bras made obsolete?

Post by Rob Wilson »

Can I just point out that the cups would be mounted to the pectoral muscles and breastbone. Any woman here want to think what the load on those would be like all day everyday - considering how much your shoulders and back can ache from supporting the same weight over a much larger surface? :shock:

God help any DD woman who tries these. :(
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Lilith
Youngling

Post by Lilith »

OK, so let's see. Women who wear bras or a long time (unspecificed) increase their odds of developing breast cancer so they should go under the knife get a titanium implant. Boobies don't stand up and say hello so insert a titanium mesh to make them "permanently" perky. Titanium makes it hard to detect lumps...what exactly is the benefit of this?

Oh YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

The benefits of bras are many. They can be comfortable, cute, or sexy. Different bras can make you look little bigger or smaller. Bras won't poke through your skin and best of all, you can take them off.
SoS:NBA

Coyote: You're a Mean Chick!
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

I'm sure this will eventually be the cause of some explaining at an airport metal detector...
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

What's next, a titanium rod in your dick?
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Wicked Pilot wrote:What's next, a titanium rod in your dick?
Shh, don't give them ideas!
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Wow... that's a bit foul. :shock:
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Saberslash
Youngling

Post by Saberslash »

Wonderful idea! I'll get right on that!
Big Bang----------first life-form-------Neanderthals---Birth of Jesus---Today
...................................................^
..........................................You're here
admiral_danielsben
Padawan Learner

Post by admiral_danielsben »

Absolutely ridiculous product. The risks (infection, lumps, difficulty to remove, etc.) far outweigh the benefits (no bra needed).
-DanielSBen
----------------
"Certain death, small chance of sucess, what are we waiting for?" Gimli, son of Gloin
----------------
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)
---------------
"If your lies are going to be this transparent, this is going to be a very short interrogation" -- Kira

"Then I'll try to make my lies more opaque..." -- Gul Darhe'el (DS9: Duet)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Wiskey Tange Foxtrot, indeed.

Why the FUCK would I want to surgically alter my perfectly healthy body for this? It's not like my tits are 34 Extra Long. Sure, they aren't as perky as when I was 18 - NEWSFLASH: I'm not fucking 18 anymore.

Sub-text here: Women, take on the risks of surgery and alter your body to please men who are so fucking immature they have no qualms about putting the health of another human being at risk to improve their eye-candy quotient.
'A woman with these implants will never have to wear a bra again'
In the past four months, more than two dozen women have undergone the procedure, which costs the equivalent of R47 000.
Let's see.... just how aggravating is a bra....? You know, properly fitted this is like bitching about my panties. Is there an operation this doctor has that would make wearing panties forever unnecessary?
"The advantage is that a woman with these implants will never have to wear a bra again," says Saylan.
Unless German women have taken to walking around topless I'm not sure how anyone gains by this.
'After a short while you will not even know it is there'
Assuming there are no complications....
Apart from the cos-metic effect, patients who go bra-less could get health benefits, too.

An American survey of almost 5 000 women showed the odds of getting breast cancer increased dramatically the longer women wore bras.
This is complete and utter fucking bullshit!!!!

Goddamn, where does this shit come from?

The odds of breast cancer increase with age - that's clear. The longer a woman has been wearing a bra, the older she is. Also, there is a correlation between obesity and breast cancer - and obese women are not only more likely to wear bras, they wear them more hours per day. Unless you account for and adjust your sample to take into account these two factors the fucking survey is meaningless.
The study concluded that the constricting effect of bras suppressed the lymphatic system below the armpits, blocking a network of vessels supposed to flush toxic wastes from the body.
:roll: Real basic concept here - if the bra is so tight it's cutting off circulation - it's too fucking tight!.
Mike Bowen, a gynaecologist in London, believes the implants could lead to less attractive breasts in the long run.
Oh, yes - because appearances are the most important consideration of long-term side effects of cosmetic surgery. :roll:
"It is well known that titanium meshes can lead to fibrosis in the tissue - unsightly lumps and bumps," he says.
This is true. In fact, the tendency of titanium to fuse to tissues and build up scar tissue and bone around it is, in fact, one of it's important features when used to replace/repair bone or teeth. There is no disputing it does these things. Removing titanium from the human body is no easy task.
Another potential problem is called erosion - the mesh works its way through the fat and starts poking through the skin.
Yep - that can happen with any implant. Actually less likely to happen with titanium than other implant materials, but it can and has happened.
More seriously, all implants increase the risk of infection.
Yep.

Folks with any sort of implant, in fact, are supposed to be on prophylactic antibiotics before many common medical procedures, including much common dental work. Gee, THAT might be a little inconvenient. Hope this doctor is informing his patients of that. Me, I'd rather wear a bra.
Breast tissue can die if the blood supply is interrupted, leaving scarring.
Yep - a risk with ANY surgery, no matter how routine. Scars from this sort of plastic surgery mishap look pretty much like what you get from third degree burns. Fortunately, it's rare, but when it happens it's a disaster.
Says Bowen: "Titanium is not biodegradable and stays in place permanently. It will be difficult to remove if things go wrong. Women may gain weight or change body shape as they get older. With a conventional bra, you can just buy a different size. A titanium implant cannot be swopped for a D cup".
Yep, yep, and yep. If the mesh manages to fuse to a rib, for instance, in order to remove it you're looking at cutting away bone and maybe needing some bone grafting done (perhaps using titanium fixtures, ironically enough...)

Not that removing silicone implants leaves a pretty result - it's pretty fugly, in fact - but removing these things could be far more devastating and scar-forming.
He also dismisses the idea that conventional bras could lead to back problems and even cancer.

"I've never heard of a well-fitting bra causing health problems and they are actually quite attractive items of clothing".
I take this postion as well, even if most of my bras are quite utilitarian.
"I was very happy with my new trim figure, but I noticed my breasts were hanging down. I had a boyfriend who made a jokey comment, which really hurt.

I was so self-conscious I would hide my breasts under baggy clothes. It got to a point that I would take my clothes off only in a darkened room. Wearing a bikini on the beach was out of the question.
All this because a boyfriend made a comment? This woman has mental problems. She's hiding her body from herself?. WTF?

It's a basic principal of ethical cosmetic surgery: the patient must be taking this risk to please herself, not at the request of, or under the pressure of, anyone else.

If this woman is doing this to her body to please other people then I have to seriously question the ethics of the doctor involved. If she is doing this SHE desires it for herself, in other words, she'd still want it even if she was on a deserted island and never had contact with another human being again - that's the only acceptable reason in my view.
"Before I decided to go ahead, he warned me the titanium bra can make it difficult to feel small breast tumours, so it's really important that I have regular mammograms and ultrasound examinations at least twice a year.
Yeah, it's going to REALLY fuck up cancer detection. Can't feel the small ones. Know something else? Titanium is opaque to x-rays. Assuming this mesh is cupping the lower half of the breast, and given the typical position/view for mammography - this is going to make mammography fucking useless!!! All you're gonna see is the fucking mesh. You won't be able to spot small tumors AT ALL! The mammograms are going to show shit.

Ultrasound for tumor detection is still unproven to the same standards as mammography. It's not as reliable by any measure. Granted, the technology is improving but there's a reason mammography is considered the gold standard.

MRI is being investigated as a possible tool for early cancer detection, but frankly I don't know if titanium is compatable with MRI machines.

This is going to make it a whole lot fucking harder to detect breast cancer early. Find it later, you have to carve away more tissue, assuming you won't need a mastectomy by them (which are still necessary at times, regretably). Oh, wait - this shit binds to tissue so well that you just may have to carve away lots more than you would have to otherwise to remove both cancer and implant. If it manages to fuse to bone you're looking at digging into bone as well as glandular tissue and maybe some muscle.

I hope this fucker explains this to the women before he operates.
"There were no complications and no pain. I was back at work in a week, although I had to wear a special sports bra with lots of support for 10 weeks until the swelling was gone.
I thought this surgery meant you could throw away those bras...?
"I work in the beauty industry and I know that it is natural for someone to desire a better body. The operation has changed my life and I feel a lot better about myself".
Well, skippy for you, lady - I hope things continue to work out for you. How about we hear from everyone else who had this surgery, too? Is everyone this happy? Or have the ladies who maybe aren't so deliriously overjoyed been ignored?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Oh, they've had those for awhile - they use them in men who have lost all hope of normal erections to allow them some ability to engage in sexual intercourse. It's not so much a stiff rod [snigger] as a thick, braided cord that can be bent to convenient postion to do the deed, but stiff enough not to bend at embarissing times. Well, it doesn't do that too often.

Actually, that sort of prosthetic is falling out of favor - they have newer implants that allow more natural-seeming erections in such men. Cost more, though, and have been known to lose hydraulic pressure at awkward times. More parts, so more to go wrong. Anyhow...

And, by the way - all the side effects of erosion, infection, lumps and bumps, etc. mentioned for the implantable mesh bras occur with these things, too. Not in all cases, but hey, you don't want to be one of the unlucky ones.
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

What kind of moron would want to get rid of lingerie? Bras are fine, keep them :P

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
frigidmagi
Sith Devotee

Post by frigidmagi »

Cancer and AIDS are killing hundreds of thousands of people (okay more in Africa). Birth defects are more common due to increased use of reproductive aids.

And these bastards are wasting time trying to get rid of bras!?!

Good Gott in Himmel this is the most retarded thing I have seen yet!!!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I have a distinct suspicious that this was thought up by one of those guys who got majorly embarrassed trying to unhook is girlfriends bra the first time. :)

"Ok... steady... found the first hook... damn it, why is that so much work... easy... success! Wheres the second hook? ...ok, working... working... it's off! Blast! The first one's back on again!"
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
KowaiYukiDono
Youngling

Post by KowaiYukiDono »

See, there's a problem going braless.

Back problems.

Another, which can be summed up in a product showcased on Engrish.com.... For bathing suit time, dance time, and t-shirt time as the package indicates.

I know a lot of women that like their own personal jiggle, and avoid wearing bras because they're allergic to the latex found in the bra itself.

I have a minor latex allergy, too. ACE bandages, when applied in the wrong spots, will cause me to break out in a rash, even with their minor amount of latex.

This makes me want to eat heads. Not only is this potentially bad for the back but it reminds me of heart surgery.

This has me livid. Practically breathing fire over here. I'm frothing and foaming.

And snickering up my sleeve.

But that's beside the point.

Imagine, if cosmetic surgeries keep getting safer and safer, cheaper and cheaper. What will people be like in a few decades? Will a single freckle on a half-visible part of the face suddenly become a major birth defect? Will my freckled arms become a mark of "un-date-ability"? Though the prospect of being genetically modified to have blue hair is appealing, the idea of it actually happening is utterly terrifying.

This doesn't piss me off as much for what it is, but for what it implies.

I should shut up, I'm getting frothy.
3y3 M ub3r thx 4 a5kn!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Going braless is a case-by-case thing. I know some girls who don't need nor want bras and are quite happy, others, well, the jiggling effect is the least of their worries.

Bras don't stave off sagging anyway, I make that point clear to those girls I know. But the support they give to the well endowed is needed usually.