They want to delete us again

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Out of curiousity. Why do we care? A file that had damn near no actual information about us that few people are ever gonna see got deleted. So what? Is it Pride? Is being on Wikipedia a prestigious event?
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Captain Cyran wrote:Out of curiousity. Why do we care? A file that had damn near no actual information about us that few people are ever gonna see got deleted. So what? Is it Pride? Is being on Wikipedia a prestigious event?
My view initially. But when the 3rd VfD came, it became a matter of principle.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I'm with Kaz on that one, it'd be one thing if they did it twice and got it the second time, I really wouldn't mind so much it'd just be proof that the world is full of assholes. Still now that we've survived two votes and less than a freaking month later they try to vote us out AGAIN just smacks of assholes who should be shot down because they aren't everyday jerks but serious assholes who shoud be removed from the gene pool for the safety of the rest of the monkeys out there.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Did anyone else notice that a user "FCYTravis" has signed up here at SD.net? FCYTravis is the same name as the Wiki admin who deleted us.

"Prepare the SmackDown for our latest newbie, FCYTravis" currently shows on the main page.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I'll activate him. Let's see what he has to say.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Hah, some anon chickenshit deleted my link on the SW vs. ST article, saying that my site had a "tenuous" connection at best to the debate. I guess he missed the ten fucking megs of fanfic.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
WyrdNyrd
Jedi Knight

Post by WyrdNyrd »

Why were the SDNet forums created in the first place? Wasn't ASVS good enough?

I don't know the all history, but I'm guessing that you wanted a moderated forum to get away from all the annoying noise of Usenet, where any damn fool with a modem can make as much of an ass of him/her/it-self as possible.

And now you're upset that Wikipedia isn't playing by the rules? Wikipedia, where any damn fool with a modem can make as much of an ass of him/her/it-self as possible?

In this respect at least, Wikipedia is a giant step backwards in the evolution of the Internet.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

You want to be credible on Wikipedia, register and participate in articles that interest you. Don't edit without registering.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:
Captain Cyran wrote:Out of curiousity. Why do we care? A file that had damn near no actual information about us that few people are ever gonna see got deleted. So what? Is it Pride? Is being on Wikipedia a prestigious event?
My view initially. But when the 3rd VfD came, it became a matter of principle.
After the last battle with Alistair McMillian, I deleted Wikipedia from my links. It was the first SD.net VFD that had me put Wikipedia back into my links.

It is indeed a matter of principle.

I would recomend that anyone interested in putting this article back up establish themselves as Wiki members. That was the defining thing that lost the most recent vote.

40 keep votes, only 17 granted. 29 delete votes, 27 granted. Those that voted against were established members.

Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

40 keep votes, only 17 granted. 29 delete votes, 27 granted. Those that voted against were established members.
I still don't understand the logic behind that. A vote by someone with few contributions but who supports his arguments well should be worth more than the vote from an established member who uses fallacious reasoning.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Wikipedia, the encyclopedia that welcomes all to edit, but only wants established members to vote on whether or not articles should be kept.

Wonderful contradictory logic.

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

FCYTravis can suck my dong, fuck wikipedia and it's pro-troll stance.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Meh, it's really only a problem with articles of such nature. It seems that 95% at the least of the rest of the articles don't have such a problem
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Seems like vanity to be honest. Perhaps if there was a single article that gathered all active Sci-fi forums up with their corresponding articles allowing people to essentially research the Sci-fi online community through the mother article, sure. But that's not what this was, I also think the Spacebattles one should be removed or added to my suggestion above.
アカラム

I melt two faces in the morning. I melt two faces at night. I melt two faces in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I melt two faces in time of peace, and two in time of war. I melt two faces before I melt two faces, and then I melt two more. - Ballad of a PK
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

WyrdNyrd wrote:Why were the SDNet forums created in the first place? Wasn't ASVS good enough?

I don't know the all history, but I'm guessing that you wanted a moderated forum to get away from all the annoying noise of Usenet, where any damn fool with a modem can make as much of an ass of him/her/it-self as possible.

And now you're upset that Wikipedia isn't playing by the rules? Wikipedia, where any damn fool with a modem can make as much of an ass of him/her/it-self as possible?

In this respect at least, Wikipedia is a giant step backwards in the evolution of the Internet.
Actually, I think of Wiki as itself a form of forum that takes an encylopediac form. People register (and some who don't) make posts. Only there, the posts are called "articles". Everybody is then allowed to edit that man's post.

And how can you claim it is unmoderated. It has admins who has the power to ban people and delete articles.

Anyway, ASVS was good enough, but ASVS embraced the AOTC:ICS with open arms too. As is pointed out (initially by me) in the Wiki article on Star Trek vs Star Wars, when you do that, debate pretty much stagnates - what else is there to debate.

Besides, ASVS was dying before then. When the battle was still going on, of course it was fun. I think it was when the two Mikes had their debate that it really began to end.

As for moderation, I barely noticed moderation even exists on this board until the recent overt crackdowns by our dear webmaster. As far as I was concerned, the mods existed to manage (deleting posts in places where the Delete function is disabled, fusing posts, splitting off tangents...). It is a place you can get into wars with mods on an equal footing (you have to watch yourself if the mods are harsh).

I don't think I'm endangered. But it did remind me this is a moderated board in fact as well as in name.
Dalton wrote:I'll activate him. Let's see what he has to say.
Let's be nice to him too, even if that means tolerating any idiocy he does for a bit longer than the norm. Maybe after his investigation, he'd realize his mistake in allowing idiots to guide his thinking.
Dalton wrote:Hah, some anon chickenshit deleted my link on the SW vs. ST article, saying that my site had a "tenuous" connection at best to the debate. I guess he missed the ten fucking megs of fanfic.
I'd have to admit I won't exactly scream about it. FanFics ain't debate. SDR is what happens when you use a debate mentality in a FanFic - as we all know, that didn't work out well.

The positions in most of those FanFics, while "pro-Wars" in the sense that a Star Destroyer can take out several top of the line Fed ships, are often not the kind of positions their authors would have taken in a debate even at the time. This became even more true for any story that came out after the AOTC:ICS.
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:And how can you claim it is unmoderated. It has admins who has the power to ban people and delete articles.
It's unmoderated because the voice of an ignorent troll is considered to be equally as valid and informed as the voice of an expert. As was made clear, post count is what matters, not the quality of your posts.
Besides, ASVS was dying before then. When the battle was still going on, of course it was fun. I think it was when the two Mikes had their debate that it really began to end.
That "debate" happened long after the creation of these forums.
"I have also a paper afloat, with an electromagnetic theory of light, which, till I am convinced to the contrary, I hold to be great guns."
-- James Clerk Maxwell (1831-1879) Scottish physicist. In a letter to C. H. Cay, 5 January 1865.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Couple things.

The admin who deleted the article as per the VFD results signed up on SD.net for the sole purpose of explaining the results of the VFD. Since I questioned the results in the discussion page, the need for him to post here disapeared and so he isn't going to bother.

Second item. Some idiot recreated the SD.net article and now got SD.net protected deleted. This makes any attempt to recreate the article almost impossible.

Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

didn't take long for out dear friends at TK to try and claim responsibility for the deletion.

http://ww w.trollkingdom.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30076

:roll:
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

No doubt some votes came from there, but they aren't responsible. I doubt seriously TK members are established Wikipedia members. The primary people trying to kill the article argued on bad logic, or were previously banned trolls from SD.net.

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

if you wish to spit upon Assassin X, he is in the AIM Chat, gloating..
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Alyeska wrote:Second item. Some idiot recreated the SD.net article and now got SD.net protected deleted. This makes any attempt to recreate the article almost impossible.
*Bets that it was one of the delete voters, doing it for that express purpose.*
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Rogue 9 wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Second item. Some idiot recreated the SD.net article and now got SD.net protected deleted. This makes any attempt to recreate the article almost impossible.
*Bets that it was one of the delete voters, doing it for that express purpose.*
Unlikely. The IP of the user who did the recreation doesn't match.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

So anyway: Now we've established that Wikipedia is fascist, along with being editable by any idiot, possessed of an absolutely retarded absolute neutral point of view policy (thus meaning that facts have no weight if they're disputed), and prone to have incomplete articles and information. Yep, I really detest the place.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

I would say that this VfD was analogous to a secret election.

We were not allowed to tell anybody about this, because that would be vote-garnering, and meatpuppeting.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr