Anaconda vs..

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lukedanieljames
Padawan Learner

Anaconda vs..

Post by Lukedanieljames »

To start, and I will make the font larger cause I'm sure someone is going to ask, the snake isn't in the water or near water unless i specify

Its a big Anaconda, say 30feet long and close to 500-600lbs.

Ok, So both are looking at each other, both want to kill each other, here are the matchups,

Anaconda vs Kodiak Bear
Anaconda vs Walrus (in water, then out of water) *pretend the water temperature is ok for both animals*

Anaconda vs White Rhino
Anaconda vs African Elephant
Anaconda vs Tiger
Anaconda vs Great White (obviously in water)

So those are the matchups, opinions anyone?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Bear and tiger will rip it up before it can coil around them. It has to get up the elephant's legs; it's asking for a stomping there. Walrus can probably puncture it with its tusks. Rhino is iffy, but probably another stompage candidate. Great White is actually possible, but the fucker's fast and can bite its head off.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

If the snake is out of water -- its natural habitat -- it's at a huge disadvantage; there's a reason anacondas live in and around water. One possibility is to let the snake start out in a tree; that might help level the playing field. However, anacondas are ambush hunters; removing that advantage alone could quite possibly lead to defeat in every scenario.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Yep; all of those animals have lots of sharp things all over them that could be used to rip up the snake, except for Rhino/elephant, and by then size is a crushing (ahem) advantage for them. A 30 foot anaconda would only be able to coil around an adult elephant about twice.

Walrus and Great White are the only ones where I can see victory for the anaconda as feasible.
skotos
Padawan Learner

Post by skotos »

Are animals with gills even vulnerable to constriction? I suppose even if the answer is no then it might still have a shot at the shark if it can get the shark to stop swimming - but who will suffocate first, the air breathing anaconda or the motionless shark?
Just as the map is not the territory, the headline is not the article
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Anacondas don't work that way. They don't chase prey; they ambush it, and they don't go after big game like that. They don't tend to eat things much bigger than sheep and wild pigs, though I suppose one that big might be partial to a cow.

Most of the animals you've got listed are far too big and fast a hassle for the anaconda to hunt. They generally go for months between kills and even over a year. Anacondas need to catch and constrict their prey, which takes alot of work. Something better not dangerous will come along eventually, so in virtually all those cases, the animals will ignore each other and move on. Or in the last scenario, the snake drowns, because anacondas like in the shallows of rivers, not in the ocean where you find sharks.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Sriad wrote: Walrus and Great White are the only ones where I can see victory for the anaconda as feasible.
Given the natural behavior of the Great White and an Anaconda I'd give it to the White easily. Unless you specifically give the Anaconda some sort of first strike attack it's going to lose, and even then I wonder what the White's natural response would be? Go deep?

Great White's hunt from below looking up. Once they spot their prey they make a mad dash to the surface from behind and at a 45 degree angle from their intended victim. The snake will never see it coming.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Lukedanieljames
Padawan Learner

skotos wrote:Are animals with gills even vulnerable to constriction? I suppose even if the answer is no then it might still have a shot at the shark if it can get the shark to stop swimming - but who will suffocate first, the air breathing anaconda or the motionless shark?
actually snakes that coil around their prey don't sufficate them, they kill them because of cardiac arrest. Its not suffication, its constriction, as in constricting the blood
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

skotos wrote:Are animals with gills even vulnerable to constriction? I suppose even if the answer is no then it might still have a shot at the shark if it can get the shark to stop swimming - but who will suffocate first, the air breathing anaconda or the motionless shark?
Presumably, constriction also crushes internal organs.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Lukedanieljames
Padawan Learner

Surlethe wrote:
Presumably, constriction also crushes internal organs.
yes and rib cages
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Given the natural behavior of the Great White and an Anaconda I'd give it to the White easily. Unless you specifically give the Anaconda some sort of first strike attack it's going to lose, and even then I wonder what the White's natural response would be? Go deep?

Great White's hunt from below looking up. Once they spot their prey they make a mad dash to the surface from behind and at a 45 degree angle from their intended victim. The snake will never see it coming.
The footage of such a sneak attack slowed 40x for Planet Earth shows it would probably rip the snake in half more than anything. Only Orcas toy with Great Whites.

Anyone remember the pictures of an anaconda that tried to get a crocodile? The croc suffocated and the snake burst.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

Are you by any chance from those discovery.com forums that talk about that show "Animal Face-off" or whatever?
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
squidman001
Padawan Learner

hmmm

Post by squidman001 »

anacondas dont do trees, reticulated pythons do.
"Generally I find that killing mice is easier if you use your mind." Ford Prefect

"It's like a camel pissed on raspberries and then they bottled it."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Pffft. Anacondas are wank.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!