College Football 2006

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I'm not going to put much stock in anything that happened this week. Going much beyond "looked prepared" and "looked unprepared" is overanalyzing at this point IMHO.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Joe wrote:Wow, that new offensive staff is really working out for Miami, eh? 8)
As long as Coker remains head coach, the entire program will be mired in lethargic mediocrity.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

What is Coker's winning percentage, like 84 percent? Do you know how many coaches have a record like that? You 'Canes fans are bloody stingy. Who else are you gonna bring in?

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

With the kind of talent that Miami can and does pull in compared to other schools the fans have a right to be a little stingy with their praise.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

Oh, come on, Miami doesn't pull in more talent than Penn State, Notre Dame, USC, Florida State and Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, and all those schools would accept a coach with that kind of winning percentage. Of course, Larry Coker is a backstabbing bastard who deserves any shit he gets.
theski
Sith Marauder

Post by theski »

Galvatron wrote:
Joe wrote:Wow, that new offensive staff is really working out for Miami, eh? 8)
As long as Coker remains head coach, the entire program will be mired in lethargic mediocrity.
Miami is not the same team anymore.. Recruting classes have not been as good. The program is faltering just like Mich.
Sudden power is apt to be insolent, sudden liberty saucy; that behaves best which has grown gradually.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

CarsonPalmer wrote:Oh, come on, Miami doesn't pull in more talent than Penn State, Notre Dame, USC, Florida State and Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, and all those schools would accept a coach with that kind of winning percentage. Of course, Larry Coker is a backstabbing bastard who deserves any shit he gets.
I was comparing them to the majority of other college schools but your point is still valid.

It's funny, a few years ago Arizona made the mistake of hiring a coach who had previously coached at Texas. The mistake being that his best season there had been a 9 win season. The rest of the time they were generally much worse than that. I'm sorry, but if you can't do better than that at a school with a football tradition like Texas then you aren't going to do much at a place that's never been considered an elite football school.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Joe wrote:What is Coker's winning percentage, like 84 percent? Do you know how many coaches have a record like that? You 'Canes fans are bloody stingy. Who else are you gonna bring in?
Mark Richt. 8)

Although right now I'd settle for bringing back Butch.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Mark Richt.
He actually has a slightly lower winning percentage than Coker. His 10 million dollar buyout would probably keep most programs away, anyway. Still, if he's going to go anywhere, I can't imagine it being any other place than Miami.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I could also see him going back to FSU after St. Bobby leaves. No way do the Noles let Jeff Bowden take over as HC.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The thing about FSU is the fact that Richt has moved over 30 friends and family members from Tallahassee to Athens, and he moves more every year. I doubt he'd move them all if he had to plans to go right back.

Plus, FSU's athletic department hasn't been so profitable as of late, so they'd have trouble outspending UGA.

Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

In any case, the biggest reason Miami's been less successful in the last few seasons isn't Coker, it isn't recruiting, it's the fact that they're not in the Big Least anymore.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I don't buy that. Miami always had to play FSU and VT during the Big East years. It's the lack of any kind of discipline or motivation from that zombie Coker that's responsible for us dropping winnable games against GT, UNC and Clemson. Same shit happened to us during the mid to late 90s against the likes of WVU, Syracuse and Pitt.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I don't buy that. Miami always had to play FSU and VT during the Big East years.
And no one else, pretty much. The ACC, like the SEC, is simply a much more difficult conference to play in, where even the conference lightweights can give you one hell of a game - hence the Tech and UNC losses.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Joe wrote:And no one else, pretty much.
As I said: WVU, Syracuse and Pitt.

At least we always beat the Gators. :P
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Is Syracuse supposed to be any good this year?
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Bama is 2-0

Post by jegs2 »

... though just barely, after beating Vandy by a score of 13 to 10.

Roll Tide!

North Alabama, ranked Number 3 in the nation for Division II, won 22 to 10. Started rough, as it was their first game of the year, but finished strong.

Go Lions!
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

Even though our defense carried us through the game I have to give a mandatory

Go Hokies!

VT 35 UNC 10
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Well Notre Dame cockslapped Penn State today, didn't it? If I followed college football I'd probably be pretty upset.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

RedImperator wrote:Well Notre Dame cockslapped Penn State today, didn't it? If I followed college football I'd probably be pretty upset.
And yet I still feel that they're overrated.

Guess we'll see what happens when they roll into the Big House next Saturday. They took us to school last go around when they were the underdogs (and we were sans His Lord and Savior, RB Mike Hart) so we can only hope the trend continues...

Damn, the Longhorns got right fucked by the Buckeyes tonight, too. Colt McCoy is no Vince Young, I'll tell you that. And Troy Smith is gonna need a towel to wipe all the jizz off his face shield while we're at it.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
jegs2
Imperial Spook

OSU Dominates

Post by jegs2 »

Ohio State travelled down to Texas and laid down the smackdown by a score of 24 to 7. So early on, the early 1 vs. 2 debate is firmly decided, and OSU controls its own destiny. The Longhorns are humbled.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Arizona got spanked, and hard, by LSU 45-3. They have a should win game next week and then they play USC.

Iowa using it's back-up QB survived 2OTs against Syracuse. I don't think the closeness of the game was due to the back-up QB. Also, what did Syracuse do to their uniforms? I hope this weekend was a throwback day for them or something because they used to have some rather cool, if somewhat plain, uniforms.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thoughts:

-Echoing the sentiment I heard on ESPN Radio the other day but, Larry Coker is highly overrated, having inherited a great program and instead of continuing the momentum he had built Miami has slipped from the top tier of contenders. In fact looking back at that game against OSU the only person from that game whose stock has dropped as fast as Coker's is Maurice Clarrett.

-Iowa is not going to fulfill some of their expectations at this rate, even if they get Drew Tate back. Better toughen it up when the Big Ten season starts.

-We won't know if ND is for real until they get their hands on a real opponent. Penn State is good but lets see how they handle teams like USC later on in the year.

-Northwestern losing to 1-AA UNH. I know UNH is good since my beloved NOrthern Iowa PAnthers have played them a few times in the 1-AA playoffs but got-damn they stuck it to a Big Ten school in their own stadium, that is going to be tough to beat.

-Akron over NC St. The MAC grows in strength. How long before the best in the MAC and the best in the Big East form a conference worthy of a BCS spot while the rest of them play chump school to a top ten team in the first week of the season for about a million.

-Ohio State = Legit. And it absolutely KILLS me to say it.

-USC, holy crap they're still good? Didn't think it was possible but my local team of choice has a great chance to succeed this year. But lets not go as far as some people in LA might say and be thinking another shot at the National Title. Pete Carroll is a damn fine college coach. Looking forward to their game against Nebraska this week.

-SEC, once again stands for Slaughter Each other Conference. I was going to say "good luck getting a contender out of there" but unlike last year there aren't two teams destined to finish unbeaten, and it should be rather interesting to see who makes it. Espiecally if OSU gets upset.

Predictions for next week (some select top 25 games):

-Iowa over Iowa State, tough rivalry game
-Auburn over LSU, only because Auburn is at home
-Clemson over FSU, should be the upset of the week
-Oregon over Oklahoma
-Notre Dame over Michigan
-Louisville over Miami
-USC crushes Nebraska

Should be a really fun week!
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Infidel7
Youngling

Post by Infidel7 »

Oh come let's sing Ohio's praise
And songs to Alma Mater raise
While our hearts rebounding thrill
With joy which death alone can still
Summer's heat or winter's cold
The seasons pass the years will roll
Time and change will surely (truly) show
How firm thy friendship ... O-HI-O!

Finally OSU will get the respect that we deserve. Everyone has been dismissing the defense as too young and inexperienced, but what they fail to see is that OSU consistently fields a great defense every year because of how deep we are. It is much more a simple reload of personel and not at all restarting from scratch.
You are an intelligent human being. Your life is valuable for its own sake. You are not second-class in the universe, deriving meaning and purpose from some other mind. You are not inherently evil—you are inherently human, possessing the positive rational potential to help make this a world of morality, peace and joy. Trust yourself. –Dan Barker
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Yeah, finally, because it's been all of like five years since your last national championship :roll: