Urge to beat mother rising...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Urge to beat mother rising...

Post by MKSheppard »

She says that this is useless, and that she'd like to throw it away...

Link to 1500 x by whatever image

:banghead:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

If she's really got a hard on to get rid of it, at least give it to a library or museum.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
AidanMcfay
Youngling

Post by AidanMcfay »

Wow, I've stumbled onto someone who quite possibly has a mother as bad as mine. Seriously what the fuck. Why does she want to get rid of it?
Aquatain Wrote:
"Why would they name a weapon that fires physical shells "Turbolasers" ??"
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

How nice to know that your first reaction to this is to beat your own mother.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Durandal wrote:How nice to know that your first reaction to this is to beat your own mother.
I doubt there's family violence to be had here. Wellll...

Would she still be like that if you just accidentally found a copy of the Declaration of Independence there or the first edition of Action Comics?

Mucho dollari.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

So, what is it?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:So, what is it?
Yeah, I was going to wait for someone else to ask first...

What the hell is that, and why would you beat your own mother over it?
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

It's the signing in document of President Cleveland, if I read it right.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I'll give you $20 for it, Shep.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Infidel7
Youngling

Post by Infidel7 »

Looks to me like it is official documentation of the appointment of one, Edward Shanahan, to the office of Postmaster by Grover Cleveland.
You are an intelligent human being. Your life is valuable for its own sake. You are not second-class in the universe, deriving meaning and purpose from some other mind. You are not inherently evil—you are inherently human, possessing the positive rational potential to help make this a world of morality, peace and joy. Trust yourself. –Dan Barker
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Shep, why do you have a historical document lying around your house?
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

No wonder why so many historical items are lost, they're trashed by mothers who don't know better!

Postmaster of Amsterdam in the county of Montgomery New York it reads. Given how many towns there must be in the nation even back then, he must've done a lot of signings!
Adrian Laguna wrote:Shep, why do you have a historical document lying around your house?
Specifically, a document that probably should have stayed in New York as well. Did you have family or friends in Amsterdam, Shep?
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Take it on the touring antique roadshow and see how much you can get for it.

And stop beating your mom.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I understand the frustration, actually. My mom had collected together a bunch of Rudyard Kipling 1st and 2nd printings and pretty much had them packaged up to be tossed when she asked me to "go through that old stuff and see if there's anything you want".

When I freaked out that she was going to throw it away she just looked at me with that half deer-in-the-headlights look and the half-bemused look of seeing a child discover that some random old toy had been thrown away in a housecleaning. She just had zero sense of how anyone could see that stuff as valuable or interesting.

The odd thing is, she does see the value in collecting antique kitchen appliances-- somewhere in my parents' house is a stack of old potato mashers, pickle jars, salt bowls (before there were salt shakers, it was kept in tiny finger bowls, I understand) and hand-crank meat grinders.

I dunno what it is about a lot of moms that gives them the sense they can just chuck anything they want without at least asking first. It's very disrespectful.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

I don't understand the urge to beat one's own mother. But I don't think like most other men. Not saying that's a bad thing (the urge and actually doing it are two totally different worlds), just that I never understood it. When my mom threw away something of mine when I was a kid, I ran away from home and didn't give a thought about "beating" and didn't get angry :D. But yeah I doubt he really means beat.
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Coyote wrote:I understand the frustration, actually. My mom had collected together a bunch of Rudyard Kipling 1st and 2nd printings and pretty much had them packaged up to be tossed when she asked me to "go through that old stuff and see if there's anything you want".

When I freaked out that she was going to throw it away she just looked at me with that half deer-in-the-headlights look and the half-bemused look of seeing a child discover that some random old toy had been thrown away in a housecleaning. She just had zero sense of how anyone could see that stuff as valuable or interesting.
Rudyard Kipling 1st and 2nd Printings? :shock:

I try to twist my head around to see how anyone could view those as garbage, but I just can't.
Coyote wrote:I dunno what it is about a lot of moms that gives them the sense they can just chuck anything they want without at least asking first. It's very disrespectful.

Several of the Nag Hammadi scrolls were lost since the mother of the shepheard that found them used them as kindling.

I think there's something about women that see things that way at times, since they wouldn't have any special attachment to such an item, and since they can't remember seeing you making a fuss about it they assume its worthless.

Not all women, and men can make the same mistakes at times, but sometimes there seems to be something there...
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I can understand the mom. I never understood collectors. This is just some old crap that attracts dust and seems of no use other than lying around.
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

salm wrote:I can understand the mom. I never understood collectors. This is just some old crap that attracts dust and seems of no use other than lying around.
There are plenty of ways to value an item. Sentimentality, the history of it, the craftsmanship, the notoriety, etc.

Artwork is collecting too, would you call them old crap that attracts dust?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Trytostaydead wrote:
salm wrote:I can understand the mom. I never understood collectors. This is just some old crap that attracts dust and seems of no use other than lying around.
There are plenty of ways to value an item. Sentimentality, the history of it, the craftsmanship, the notoriety, etc.

Artwork is collecting too, would you call them old crap that attracts dust?
Really depends on. If the artwork is stashed away and has no purpose besides "having it" then it´s old crap. If it´s hung up somewhere for decoration or put to some other use it´s obviously useful.

I have a freind who collects these little hot wheel cars. He doesn´t unpack them and he stores them in a box at home. I mean if he´d at least open them and set them up or play with them or something but they just sit there in their orignal packing stored away in a box in the dark. What the hell is that supposed to be good for?
I mean apparently there is some sort of satisfaction that some people drieve from collecting stuff, i´m just saying that this concept is completely alien to me and perhaps to the mom. :wink:
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Throwing out stuff that is almost certainly worth a bit of money is not a good idea. Even if you don't have any use for it you can always sell it.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I mean apparently there is some sort of satisfaction that some people drieve from collecting stuff, i´m just saying that this concept is completely alien to me and perhaps to the mom.
Owning a piece of history - be it a document or a Hot Wheels car - allows you to be part of it. You become the caretaker of something with all the legacy and significance it carries. I feel every old thing is like a small time machine; it's seen things and been places that only exist in history books now. Haven't you ever held a two thousand year old coin and wondered who paid his breakfast with it all those lifetimes ago? Or bought an old toy just because you couldn't stand the idea of it ending up in a landfill? Never teared up when you looked at a painting, trying to take in just how many people before you stood in that same place, thousands of souls from across the ages who had that one experience in common?
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I'm deeply puzzled why some thoughtless person would throw away an important looking old document like that - it fills me with the same kind of anger when I see valued family photos getting burned or beautiful buildings getting demolished.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Bounty wrote: Owning a piece of history - be it a document or a Hot Wheels car - allows you to be part of it. You become the caretaker of something with all the legacy and significance it carries. I feel every old thing is like a small time machine; it's seen things and been places that only exist in history books now. Haven't you ever held a two thousand year old coin and wondered who paid his breakfast with it all those lifetimes ago? Or bought an old toy just because you couldn't stand the idea of it ending up in a landfill? Never teared up when you looked at a painting, trying to take in just how many people before you stood in that same place, thousands of souls from across the ages who had that one experience in common?
No, never felt that way. However i know what it feels like to have too much unnecessary stuff lying around and blocking up living space. That´s why 3 or four times a year i go through all of my stuff and throw out or give away everything that i don´t need. Books, finished computer games, comics, old legos, clothes etc... everything has to go. Owning a lot of stuff makes you dependant. Dependant on a large appartement, on your parents basement, on transport companies in case you want to move and so on. If i own little i can just pack up my stuff and move somewhere completely different without large inconveniences.

I admit though, should this document be of any value i´d of course rather sell it or give it to whoever would want it.
drachefly
Jedi Master

Post by drachefly »

Grandma sold some furniture that had been in our family for several generations. Prior to her generation, that is.

And she didn't even mention that it was for sale, thereby giving us the chance to buy it!

Similarly with the fisher-price airport set. And the bath toys, except for the sailboat (which my daughter is happily uses now, though sans sail until she learns not to chew on things). And most of the micro-machines (one was saved by my losing it under a dresser).

We managed, barely to save the baby pictures of her husband's grandparents.

On a much smaller scale, I told mom not to throw out the nintendo. A few months later, I found out she had thrown out 'the atari'. Mom, the word 'atari' does not appear on that box. What word appears on it? Yeah. 'nintendo'. I knew I should have taken it.

But then it would have been stolen with my lego collection when my apartment was broken into.
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

drachefly wrote:Grandma sold some furniture that had been in our family for several generations. Prior to her generation, that is.

And she didn't even mention that it was for sale, thereby giving us the chance to buy it!
When that thing happens it is usually a "I had no idea you wanted that old junk!" (even if you said so repeatedly) with a bit of not wanting the old garbage to clutter up another family home.
drachefly wrote:Similarly with the fisher-price airport set. And the bath toys, except for the sailboat (which my daughter is happily uses now, though sans sail until she learns not to chew on things). And most of the micro-machines (one was saved by my losing it under a dresser).
"Why on Earth would anyone want this? They haven't used it or talked about it in ages, they must have forgotten entirely."
drachefly wrote:We managed, barely to save the baby pictures of her husband's grandparents.

On a much smaller scale, I told mom not to throw out the nintendo. A few months later, I found out she had thrown out 'the atari'. Mom, the word 'atari' does not appear on that box. What word appears on it? Yeah. 'nintendo'. I knew I should have taken it.
In one ear, out the other, and "Does he want me to keep this junk around forever? I'll just throw it out and he'll never notice."

Note all explanations are based on personal experience ;)

Women can often be amazingly bad at figuring out what men, even family members, want and cherish.
drachefly wrote:But then it would have been stolen with my lego collection when my apartment was broken into.
Awww that sucks!