NFL 08 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Dark Flame wrote:And thanks to the monumental collapse of Dallas' offense, my fantasy playoff run is officially fucked. 2nd best offense in the fucking league gets held to 6 points. I guess it makes sense, though, because the Dolphins won and the 2nd worst defense (I think) pitched a shutout against the Bills. Damn the NFL. :x
Oh, bitch, bitch, bitch... Two of my three WRs (Lee Evans and Braylon Edwards) played in a blizzard. My TE (Antonio Gates) and backup runner (Michael Turner) were hurt and only played a few series. On top of that, my third WR was Shaun McDonald, who plays for a team that (a) gave up early and (b) is quarterbacked by a guy who forgot what color jersey his own team wears: 5 PICKS! Did I mention my lead runner was Kevin Jones?

My opponent had a shitty week, but still won in spite of scoring 79 points total.

:banghead:
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Oh that's not so bad. I dominated the regular season and led my league in scoring thanks mainly to my 4 Dallas players. The 4 of them (TO, Romo, Witten, and Barber) usually combine for almost a hundred points. They totalled 22 points for me, worst of the year. :x Romo was actually in the negatives.

I didn't have him, but Tom Brady, the best fantasy player, was held to 2 fantasy points. :lol:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

And with the conclusion of the Browns Game, this Bills fan is now in Full Draft Mode!(tm). Hopefully next year Poz will be over the broken radius and ulna and be playing Mike for us in the 240s, rather than Digi at 229. Props to DJ for making Draft mode start in week 15 rather than week 10.

This Defense is scrappy and fast but it very much needs an infusion of size and physicality in the Box...*Has delusions of Terrel Suggs playing RLB*. Also, Marshawn's a tank but his touches are getting up there, and though I like Fred Jackson as a duo, a real Fullback would save them the short yardage and goal-line punishment.

I'm starting my Mock Draft at Michael Hardy, 6'7", 225 WR from Indiana. Hopefully Marv's scouting Gestapo will sort out the girlfriend issues satisfactorily. Otherwise, Adarius Bowman, 6'5", 216 WR.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

SPC Brungardt wrote:WHAT were the DOLPHINS THINKING! A week early damnit! Now they'll have no motivation to beat the Pats and it's up to the Giants.

Congrats I guess and to all AFC West teams not the Chargers: enjoy the post-season on a couch.
Well on the plus side the Giants play at Buffalo first and damn will the Bills be hungry for a win, plus we've already seen how bad weather can fuck up NY.Then if DC and NO win the Giants will be playing for their playoff lives against the Pats who will already have wrapped things up and, I would bet, wouldn't be willing to risk losing important players for the postseason just to have a perfect regular season.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Brian Westbrook wins my "good guy" token of the day, Roy Williams gets the "bad guy" token. A suspension a long time coming, too.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So Sean Taylor got elected to the Pro Bowl.
I'm torn on this...
On one hand it is a very nice gesture and way for the fans, coaches and players to give him one final thumbs up.

On the other hand, the guy is dead. He doesn't care if he gets to the Pro Bowl. Maybe just make him an honorary PBer and give the spot to someone alive who can still benefit from it.

What do you guys think?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

havokeff wrote:So Sean Taylor got elected to the Pro Bowl.
I'm torn on this...
On one hand it is a very nice gesture and way for the fans, coaches and players to give him one final thumbs up.

On the other hand, the guy is dead. He doesn't care if he gets to the Pro Bowl. Maybe just make him an honorary PBer and give the spot to someone alive who can still benefit from it.

What do you guys think?
It's not that big a deal. Players fail to show up for the Pro Bowl all the time, usually because of injury. when that happens the next guy gets to go instead.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Elfdart wrote:
havokeff wrote:So Sean Taylor got elected to the Pro Bowl.
I'm torn on this...

What do you guys think?
It's not that big a deal. Players fail to show up for the Pro Bowl all the time, usually because of injury. when that happens the next guy gets to go instead.
Yup. Hamlin will be starting in Hawaii, and if Hamlin can't go then the alternate can go, and then the second alternate, Dawkins.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Brian Westbrook wins my "good guy" token of the day, Roy Williams gets the "bad guy" token. A suspension a long time coming, too.
I concur. However, I think Williams should be suspended for the rest of the season, regular and post (if not into next season), should Dallas go all the way. This clown has horse-collared players three times this year, violating a rule that came into being because he's done this before:
The rule against the horse-collar tackle, where a player is pulled down from behind by grabbing the uniform near the neck, was enacted in May 2005 after three such tackles by Williams in the 2004 season and another in preseason caused injuries.
He's a dirty player and apparently the fines mean little to him.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

FSTargetDrone wrote:He's a dirty player and apparently the fines mean little to him.
Teams need to be more Old School about this kind of chickenshit. One of McNabb's teammates should have busted Williams' chops in retaliation. Nothing dirty, just a vicious hit well after the whistle to get the dumbfuck's attention.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I'll take the Steelers over the Lambs tonight.

Re: The point I made before about the need for players to retaliate immediately, here's a link to Super Bowl X, when Jack Lambert of the Steelers taught Cowboys safety Cliff Harris a lesson in why you don't fuck with one of Lambert's teammates.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=btTDF91RLHE
Skip to @3:40 for Old School fun.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Heh.

By the way, gotta love those old car commercials for that boat of a Torino. "Half-vinyl roof! And more!"
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Damn. How things have changed. That Super Bowl is eminently watchable even barring the poor video quality. Basic coverage of the game —no hype, no frills, and few commercials per break. You've also got a very hard-fought contest going on, one worthy of a championship game.

That's the NFL I remember.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Patrick Degan wrote:Damn. How things have changed. That Super Bowl is eminently watchable even barring the poor video quality. Basic coverage of the game —no hype, no frills, and few commercials per break. You've also got a very hard-fought contest going on, one worthy of a championship game.

That's the NFL I remember.
Check out XIII. Curt Gowdy, Merlin Olsen and John Brodie combined don't yap half as much as any two-man teams working today. Gowdy was the best by far. I miss Charlie Jones and Pat Sumerall, too.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

okay

Dallas at Carolina - curses
Philadelphia at New Orleans -yay
New York Giants at Buffalo - curses
Green Bay at Chicago - curses. The punting job may be open in Wisconsin.
Cleveland at Cincinnati - blast
Kansas City at Detroit - somehow
Houston at Indianapolis - not really a surprise
Oakland at Jacksonville - and wow was this scary
Tampa Bay at San Francisco - I didn't know they were gonna pull starters >_<
Atlanta at Arizona - woo
Baltimore at Seattle - woo again, Seahawks to go all the way <3
New York Jets at Tennessee - darn it
Miami at New England - darn it
Washington at Minnesota
Denver at San Diego
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Go Skins'

That was just awesome. Total domination in the first half followed by one of the craziest play sequences I have ever seen. Michaels and Madden were right because whomever told Gibbs to throw the challenge flag for 12 men deserves a raise. The Skins had lost momentum and needed it badly so to turn the ball over with the Vikings feeling their oats would have been monumental. Instead the skins keep the ball and drive in for 7 to keep themselves in the drivers seat. So next week at home, against Dallas who has nothing to win and plenty to lose the Skins could get into the playoffs the hard way: win the whole end of the season.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Christ, Patriots, where were you that second half? You sure as hell weren't in Foxboro.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Christ, Patriots, where were you that second half? You sure as hell weren't in Foxboro.
Meh, I don't think the Browns even arrived in Cincinatti. The end of the first half was absolutely atrocious, and might end up costing us the playoffs. :evil:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
The Star Marshall
Redshirt

Post by The Star Marshall »

Dark Flame wrote:
Fleet Admiral JD wrote:Christ, Patriots, where were you that second half? You sure as hell weren't in Foxboro.
Meh, I don't think the Browns even arrived in Cincinatti. The end of the first half was absolutely atrocious, and might end up costing us the playoffs. :evil:
As a lifelong Bengals fan, and Browns basher, I can only hope Indy rests its starters next week. :twisted: Rough day for your guys.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

New England at New York Giants
Buffalo at Philadelphia
Seattle at Atlanta
New Orleans at Chicago
San Francisco at Cleveland
Detroit at Green Bay
Jacksonville at Houston
Carolina at Tampa Bay
Cincinnati at Miami
Kansas City at New York Jets
Pttsiburgh at Baltimore
Dallas at Washington
St. Louis at Arizona
Minnesota at Denver
San Diego at Oakland
Tennessee at Indianapolis
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Qwerty 42 wrote: Dallas at Washington
Man why the hatin' on the skins? I mean that is 4 weeks running that you've been picking the other guys. Where is the love for the geriatric christer and his misfit bunch of crazies?

-Kingdom of Heaven
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Alright, Pats, let's make this perfect.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Giants strike first: 7-0.

Update:

Giants led at the end of the first quarter, 7-3, but the Patriots have opened the second by pulling ahead, 10-7.

And as soon as I typed that, Giants scored with a 74-yard run. 14-10.

Update:

46-yard FG from the Patriots leaves things at 14-13 for the moment with the Giants still in front.

(as an aside, too bad Harry Kalas isn't calling the game on TV. He does do football on the radio, but his voice-overs at the end of the commercial breaks are more interesting than the dull-as-dishwater play-by-play effort from Gumbel. *Yawn*)

Update:

Another FG brings the Pats back in front, 16-14.

Update:

Wonderboy Manning connects with his receiver Boss for the score. 21-16 Giants as the first half ends.

Update:

Interesting. In the 3rd we see the Giants score again resulting in a 28-16 lead...

Update:

Patriots score, but still trail the Giants, 28-23.
Last edited by FSTargetDrone on 2007-12-29 10:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Patriots reply, 28-23.
JADAFETWA
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

So the 3rd quarter ends. 28-21, Giants.