Downloadable books

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Downloadable books

Post by mr friendly guy »

Besides Amazon's kindle, does anyone know of sites where we can download books for a fee (presumably cheaper than buying a paperback, plus no delivery charges) or even ones which are free (presumably such books are now in the public domain, although I am aware David weber puts some of his works for free).

As to why I don't buy more books, well there are some books I used to read which I enjoyed, but most probably not enough to buy them for my shelf, but enjoyable enough that I don't mind reading them on my computer.

I have discovered some sites where people upload various books notably http://www.scribd.com/ but I am hoping for others.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Re: Downloadable books

Post by Bounty »

Project Gutenberg would be an obvious first stop. It's all public domain, so few new releases, but if you're after the classics it's the place to go.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I heard about Mobipocket being decent. That might be worth a look.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

The only service I've used before for downloading books is DriveThruRPG, but it's largely for roleplaying games and related materials. So I don't know of how much interest it would be.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

If you want to go with audiobooks instead of using your peepers the old fashioned way, there's always librivox.org. Load it onto an mp3 player, and listen while you ride the train, or drive to work, or wash dishes, or suture wounds, as applicable. Totally public domain.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I've been downloading from Project Gutenberg for years now, either to my desktop or my pocket PC Jornada which is still chugging along after a decade of use.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Stanza is what I use on my iPhone and there are also desktop clientss for Windows and Apple. There are numerous free books to be found using the software.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I find most of the useful Stanza content is on [url=http://feedbooks.com/]Feedbooks[/s]. Sadly the Stanza interface is terrible and the search is actually worthless (turning up results that lack your term while ignoring items that are present and have the term). Hopefully the website is better.
Atavarius
Padawan Learner

Post by Atavarius »

As far as I know the main pay for ebooks sites are the aforementioned Kindle store and Mobipocket, eReader, and BN's ebook store. I haven't checked how all the prices compete, as I pretty much only use my Kindle now.
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

Baen is my source for all sci-fi related e-books. It's got a huge archive, many of which are free, and then continuous near releases.

They even have a newsletter-like subscription option where you can purchase in advance, and get a number of new releases delivered monthly.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Thanks for the advice guys. I will sure be perusing these links at my leisure. Oh, and to Zod, the rpg links are useful since I am also into those products and have downloaded some from websites prior. I am not necessarily looking for more right now, but I am sure it will be useful in future.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Any have links for good programming books?

I've been trying to find a copy of 'Game PRogramming Gems 5' but to no luck, via any avenue.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Some of the hardbound books of Baen's authors for some years now have included a free-to-copy CD with a collection of novels on them. Dahak's Orbit aka The5thImperium.com ( a David Weber fansite ) has a page with links you can view or download them at.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers