Kill Bill (possbile spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Actually, in a Newsweek article, QT compared "Kill Bill" to sex, saying that you want it even more after the first time.

And I must admit, this is the FIRST movie this year that sucessfully lived up to all the hype (except for that bit about it being a ripoff).
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

Just got back from seeing it and holy FUCK was that a great flick. I thought the first 20 minutes were dull and started wondering if QT made his first dud, but once Uma wakes up in the hospital the film picks up and just doesnt let up. The whole film was just so fun and exciting--i had a huge grin on my face from beginning to end. I cant remember the last time a film did that to me. The last 35 minutes are fan-fucking-tastic, and this is by far one of the goriest films to recieve an R-rating in a long while.

speaking of which, did anyone notice the black and white photography during the end battle where Uma takes on 100 bodyguards? Im willing to bet my life that that was put in just so that they could get away with an R-rating--a full-colour version of that scene would never pass the censors.

And speaking of that scene in particular, i couldnt help but think that it was like a real-life version of the Burly Brawl scene from Matrix Reloaded. I kept expecting Agent Smith to step in and say "more" before being cleaved in two by Uma Thurman.

And that animated sequence is fucking great.

This may be QT best film yet. Cant wait for part two.

And BTW, did anyone else see the final Matrix Revolutions preview before the film? GOOD GOD!! The preview alone was easily worth the 13 bucks. Christ that film is going to be the best film of the decade. All the Reloaded naysayers are going to have their foot in their mouths come November.
I'll swallow your soul!
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

Isn't anyone upset by the fact that Mirimax is double-dipping with the whole two volume thing? Would a 210 minute feature really have been that bad? Don't get me wrong, I LOVED this movie, but I feel really cheated by the whole splitting it up in to two movies thing.

QT says that they did this because he didn't want to cut any of the film, but that hardly makes sense as a three and a half hour movie isn't exactly unheard of. Besides, Peter Jackson had a bunch of extra footage that he couldn't add to LOTR, so he created a kick-ass extended edition DVD (which is EXACTLY how it should be done).

This is hardly a deal breaker for me, it's just that this movie didn't strike me as the kind of flick that gained anything from being split up into two chapters. Am I the only one who feels this way?
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

zombie84 wrote: And BTW, did anyone else see the final Matrix Revolutions preview before the film? GOOD GOD!! The preview alone was easily worth the 13 bucks. Christ that film is going to be the best film of the decade.
BS. "Kill Bill" is a better movie, even if "Revolutions" is better than the first Matrix movie (which it won't be). Not to mention that there are plenty of great serious films that are actually DEEP, instead of just pretending to be. :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

Even though the whole two-volume thing may not be entirly necessary, i have no problem with it. The film is not hurt at all. Theres an intro, a body and it builds up into a huge finale that could easily be a stand-alone film on its own. When the movie is finished, even though the story is really only half done, it feels as though there has actually been an ending of sorts. Matrix and TTT just sort of abruptly ended, like the projectionist accidentally turned off the projector or something, but KB Volume I had an ending of satisfaction and it leaves you drooling for more. A 3 1/2 movie is really fucking long to sit in a theatre for. QT could have done a proper 'extended cut' thing on DVD but he wants people to see the whole story i guess, not just the hardcore fans. It didnt bother me at all really. The whole two-part idea was conceived of when they were making it--it was dropped initially, but the studio i guess realized they could double their profit. The way the movie is divided into chapters gives the story a good structure for a two-part film so it doesnt feel abrupt. Matrix Reloaded had people booing at the "to be concluded" title but Kill Bill didnt feel like i had been ripped off. Maybe its just me. I hate to have to pay for the second half of a movie i should have already seen but im willing to make an exception here.
I'll swallow your soul!
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
zombie84 wrote: And BTW, did anyone else see the final Matrix Revolutions preview before the film? GOOD GOD!! The preview alone was easily worth the 13 bucks. Christ that film is going to be the best film of the decade.
BS. "Kill Bill" is a better movie, even if "Revolutions" is better than the first Matrix movie (which it won't be). Not to mention that there are plenty of great serious films that are actually DEEP, instead of just pretending to be. :P
A-Fucking-men.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Next the bride kills Neo after finishing off bill

I just want them to package it as One DVD box.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

The movie is good and is alot of good ass-kicking fun, but I could have done without that long/lame-ass retarded anime bit for O-Renshi. While it is a good movie and all, I would say calling it the best movie of the year is a bit much. I also must jump on the side of those thinking QT is just milking us for 2X the money for one movie. Just when I was really, really pumped and into the movie it fucking ends, but I will give it that it ended with a plot twist that I would rank up with Vader being Lukes father. I totally didn't see it coming. The movie would have been much better intact as one film and without the anime shit.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

Death from the Sea wrote:The movie is good and is alot of good ass-kicking fun, but I could have done without that long/lame-ass retarded anime bit for O-Renshi. While it is a good movie and all, I would say calling it the best movie of the year is a bit much. I also must jump on the side of those thinking QT is just milking us for 2X the money for one movie.
It was probably the producers and film studio who wanted it shortened, as QT has claimed. 210 minutes is very long for a feature, especially an action feature. If anyone could keep the audience riveted for that long, it's Tarantino, but I don't think the people whose money is riding on the flick would want to risk it.
Just when I was really, really pumped and into the movie it fucking ends, but I will give it that it ended with a plot twist that I would rank up with Vader being Lukes father. I totally didn't see it coming. The movie would have been much better intact as one film and without the anime shit.
Saying the anime sucks is a matter of opinion. QT clearly didn't think it sucks, and it's his artistic vision. And, let's be honest, most of the Oren Ishii sequence is classic anime/HKBO given a full blast Western live-action treatment. (like Matrix)
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Next the bride kills Neo after finishing off bill

I just want them to package it as One DVD box.
I can clearly see the scene in my mind.

Neo: I know kung-fu
*The Bride quickly slices his head off. While the decapitated body is spraying blood for 5 minutes, the Bride catches the Neo's head in the air with her sword, and sliced it in two.* :twisted:

Kill Bill> Matrix. :twisted:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Death from the Sea wrote:The movie is good and is alot of good ass-kicking fun, but I could have done without that long/lame-ass retarded anime bit for O-Renshi.
There's no way they could have gotten a child actor for those scenes, and they needed to tell her story ...
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I think anime was more suitable for the scene anyway - the Bride wasn't there, and it would have been weird having it in live action.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
zombie84
Jedi Knight

Post by zombie84 »

The animated sequence was one of the films highlights. How the fuck can you say it wasnt needed? Man, that was great!
I'll swallow your soul!
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Quick question. The violence- was it obviously kinda fake, or was it really, really intense, "Blackhawk Down" style violence? And (here's the sticking point) was it 'gratuitous'?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
The Kernel
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Kernel »

HemlockGrey wrote:Quick question. The violence- was it obviously kinda fake, or was it really, really intense, "Blackhawk Down" style violence? And (here's the sticking point) was it 'gratuitous'?
Absolutely it was gratuitous. This is a homage to Kung Fu flicks, not a gritty war movie. Like Roger Ebert said in his review, the violence is so over the top that no one could realistically be offended. You should point your parents to that review and tell them that if they let you see Black Hawk Down, this is much tamer. Of course the whole "My name is...and I'm here to FUCK!" was pretty bad, but hey, all in good fun.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The animated sequence was even more bloody...homage to old school productions, when all major anime productions were just loaded with blood and gore.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

A bit from David Carradine, in the most recent Newtype:
"Bill wouldn't be in the sequels," Carradine says. "The original concept calls for two sequels, but they're going to be shot quite a bit apart. The children of some of the characters in this pictuire will become the stars of the subsequent movies, but there are also plans for a prequel that would be animated. It would be done with anime, as far as I know. That would take you back and give some of [The Bride's] backstory." "As far as the prequel cartoon and, to a lesser extent, the sequels, these are visons that Tarantino has..."
More Kill Bill anime...god, this would be my DREAM project.

Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Guess I'm the only person here who is disappointed with the fight scenes, and the plot.

Spoilers
Black Mamba is lucky none of the Deadly Vipers and Bill were using hollowpoints, or the double, triple tap technique when she was shot in head, and they didn't even bother to check for a pulse.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

While the fighting was all very cool looking, there seemed to be basically no plot beyond what was necessary for you not to go 'WTF' when characters did something, and barely even that. That it's like that is definitely excusable, but if you have interest in something besides massive slaughter, it can become boring. People who were annoyed by the fight scences in Matrix Reloaded would probably dislike this movie, unless they think blood mist is super-cool.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I was unaware that the typical course of action after putting a putting in someone's skull is to check their pulese.

Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Rubberanvil, I don't think the Viper squap even shot Uma, as much as they just kicked her ass into a boodly pulp, and then Bill shot her. The Vipers just shot everyone else.(I think)
I think that could have easily gotten a child actor for the O-Renshii backstory, plus they could have easily done a narrated montage of live actions stills and cut the backstory down from the painful 10 to 15 minutes it was to a nice neat 3 to 4 minutes.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

Death from the Sea wrote: Rubberanvil, I don't think the Viper squap even shot Uma, as much as they just kicked her ass into a boodly pulp, and then Bill shot her.
It pretty apperant Bill shot her, with him wiping blood off of her a moment before he pulled the trigger.

wrote:I think that could have easily gotten a child actor for the O-Renshii backstory, plus they could have easily done a narrated montage of live actions stills and cut the backstory down from the painful 10 to 15 minutes it was to a nice neat 3 to 4 minutes.
Still would have been painful from using nearly cliche in the book.
Dargos
Jedi Knight

Post by Dargos »

If you guys really want a spoiler for BOTH movies go here linky linky

When I first saw the preview I was thinking "WTF is this crap" But from reading the scripts I have changed my opinion from CRAP Preview Crap Movie to Need to See Movie.
AylaKat
Redshirt

Post by AylaKat »

My ass hurt watching this movie. But it was relieved the many times I was nearly coming out of my seat.

Plotless? Bah. Sure, there was tons of violence. Beautiful, beautiful, violence. But there was certainly a story, and it was the story of a warrior. I hope, in Vol 2, that we find out just why they wanted to off Uma, and what happened to the thang in her belly.

I also really loved how the movie didn't hype girl power. It wasn't "Oh I'm a woman with a sword." It was "Yeah, I'm a fuckin' warrior, and I'm gonna kill you."

I thought the anime scenes were very cool. It was good way of going back in time.

I originally thought this movie was going to be crap. But when I saw that the girl who played Takako Chigusa in Battle Royale was in it, I figured I'd have to see it. Did you see that chain of hers? Goddamn that was a classy weapon!

I say, GO SEE THA MOVIE GO SEE IT NOW ME LOVED IT.
"Until today, it really pissed me off that I'd become this totally centered Zen Master and nobody had noticed. Still, I'm doing the little FAX thing. I write little HAIKU things and FAX them around to everyone. When I pass people in the hall at work, I get totally ZEN right in everyone's hostile little FACE."

--Fight Club
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

Like I told my friends and their mom, I'm not going to say what I think about it until I see the second half.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite