What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by phongn »

Confidence Men: Wall Street, Washington, and the Education of a President, by Ron Suskind. Goes in some details about the President's hopes for healthcare reform and economic policy, his team, and his (inability) to manage his cabinet, coupled with his relative political inexperience.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

REAMDE is classic Stephenson so far, but it's so damn long I might have return it before I finish :(

The incoming Kindle Fire should help though :)
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I think I may have burned out on Dune. I've got Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune on hold from the library, but I've barely been able to get into the first one.

Right now, I'm reading Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Its publisher was promoting it as a "next big thing", complete with midnight release parties and other events. It's alright so far.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I found the way to get through all of the 'Dune' series the first time, was be out in the wilds of North Carolina with nothing else to do. It re-reads very well, though. YMMV.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Just renewed REAMDE, whew. Glad it wasn't on hold for someone. When I get my Kindle though this monster is going back. That's like four pounds of Neal Stephenson in my bag.
To Absent Friends

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Dalton wrote:REAMDE is classic Stephenson so far, but it's so damn long I might have return it before I finish :(
Does it have his classic "I ran out of words and must end things RFN" endings?
ThomasP
Padawan Learner

Post by ThomasP »

phongn wrote:
Dalton wrote:REAMDE is classic Stephenson so far, but it's so damn long I might have return it before I finish :(
Spoiler
Believe it or not, it actually has a conclusion and then an epilogue where things sorta tie together after the fact. I was expecting him to run off the edge of the story-cliff as usual, but imagine my surprise.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I finished Night Circus (it was a very slow day at work). What a nice, touching novel - and the ending made me smile. I definitely recommend it.

I'm going to try Heretics of Dune again, although Singularity Sky by Charlie Stross looks tempting.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

phongn wrote:
I'm only halfway through, but ThomasP's comment is encouraging. "Anathem" ended pretty well, though, as do his collaborations with his uncle ("The Cobweb" and "Interface").

"The Diamond Age" will always be confounding.
To Absent Friends

Dalton

Post by Dalton »

So as part of this "Green Week" thing we do at work, there was a book "exchange" (no actual exchange necessary). I found a copy of Follett's "The Pillars of the Earth" among all the pulp thrillers, romance pap and new-age spiritual horseshit. Is it any good?
To Absent Friends

Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It's all right. A bit anachronistic at times, and the characters aren't really drawn with great shades of grey (the main antagonist is so unsympathetic and unpleasant that he really should be twirling a mustache while cackling), but I read it through.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Guardsman Bass wrote:It's all right. A bit anachronistic at times, and the characters aren't really drawn with great shades of grey (the main antagonist is so unsympathetic and unpleasant that he really should be twirling a mustache while cackling), but I read it through.
It was quite difficult to find anything that caught my eye (not the least reason being I was carrying a bunch of stuff). Maybe I will go have another look.
To Absent Friends

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Trying to force my through the Sam and Frodo part of Two Towers, I think this is where I have up on my last attempt at LotR.

It didn't help that I got a new book from Amazon today: Star Trek DS9 Avatar. Part 1. The first book of the relaunch series, which is reputed to be quite good.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Picked up something else called The Search for WondLa. Sounds familiar, apparently a children's book. Damn thick for one though.
To Absent Friends

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

The Prague Cemetery, Umberto Eco.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Crazedwraith wrote:It didn't help that I got a new book from Amazon today: Star Trek DS9 Avatar. Part 1. The first book of the relaunch series, which is reputed to be quite good.
The relaunch is definitely worth reading if you're a big DS9 fan.

I just finished Gregory Maguire's conclusion to the Wicked Years, Out of Oz. A good finale and his strongest work since the first novel.
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I cannot wait for the semester to be done so I can focus on reading Els Witte and Jan Craeybeckx's Political History of Belgium: From 1830s Onward. I want all the details about a country so highly developed but unstable.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Dalton wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:It's all right. A bit anachronistic at times, and the characters aren't really drawn with great shades of grey (the main antagonist is so unsympathetic and unpleasant that he really should be twirling a mustache while cackling), but I read it through.
It was quite difficult to find anything that caught my eye (not the least reason being I was carrying a bunch of stuff). Maybe I will go have another look.
I really enjoyed Pillars. The main character is really the cathedral, the setting is beautiful and it's one of those "bigger than any of the people in it" types of stories. However, I was more attached to the characters than I thought: I tried reading World Without End, the sequel set decades later with a new cast of characters, and I'm not quite getting into it the same way.

The miniseries adaptation was really good, pretty faithful. It's got Ian McShane in it :)
XXXI
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

REAMDE was quite fun, but I feel like it kind of went off the rails at the end. The epilogue, while nice, leaves quite a few strings untied, like the WOR and all the T'Rain arc. Just like him though, especially with the ensemble cast (or the Cabal, like in all of his books). And Sokolov wins the baddest motherfucker award here.

As a side note, my bag containing the book was stolen. Fortunately crackheads hate books since they can't sell them for drugs, so the cops found it on the street and I was able to return it. Can't say I'll ever see my DS again. Fuckwits.
To Absent Friends

Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Two fantasy series, one of which I'm tempted to actually start a thread about in the Fantasy subforum so I can figure out what I think about it after all the humming and hawing is in. The three volumes so far of K. E. Mills' "Rogue Agent" series, which are actually quite good in a sort of magic with victorian sensibilities, thaumaturgy with paperwork, government department- ish sort of way;

the other one I still haven't really settled my opinion on is Kristen Britain's "Green Rider" series, which is, well, in the fine it's quite good, atmospheric and immersive and all that, but there are obvious bits of padding, it's gone on at least one volume longer than anyone who wasn't actively trying to torture her characters would have dragged it, and I don't think she quite knows how to finish the plot.

She's one of those writers that forbids fanfic, and I can understand why; to a large extent the story is the characters- not that that's actually stopped anyone over on FF.net, and I think she's probably mainly afraid of someone trying to rescue them. (Yes, I do have something drafted in my head. It involves Space Marines.)

More seriously, Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall- over the shoulder historical fiction, the rise of Thomas Cromwell; being more familiar with his great nephew, it was interesting, and much more informative than the TV series on the tudors, although in order to keep who's who straight I would say read it in as few sittings as possible.

Jeremy Paxman's book on the Victorians, the archaeologist Francis Pryor's "A History of Britain in the Middle Ages", in which he argues for much more continuity of trade and industry through the dark ages than is usually portrayed, the Irish comedian John o' Farrell's "An Utterly Impartial History of Britain" in which he argues that for most of the last two thousand years e ahve been misgoverned by idiots.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

just stared (after much suggestion from my firends) The Filly with the Dragon Cutie Mark, oh wait too much time ine the MLP theads, (Though a Pony version of Lisbeth would be cool, (probably with lightning (taser) cracling around her unicorn horn)),

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

"The Cold Commands" - Richard K Morgan.
"Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow" - Prof. Daniel Kahnmann (Nobel prize winner).

Good, recommended books both!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

An anthology: Advanced Financial Accounting and Reporting: Custom Edition for MacEwan University. Edited by Pearson Education. Material taken from Financial Accounting and Reporting, 14e by Barry Elliott and Jamie Elliott, UK; and Advanced Financial Accounting, 6e by Thomas H. Beechy, V. Umashanker Trivedi, and Kenneth E. MacAulay, USA.

Oh, how I hate this shit.
XXXI
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

I just finished Born Standing Up, Steve Martin's autobiography/memories of his comedy career. I listened to the audio book version read by him, which was fun.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Just finished Freakonomics, listening to Quantum Man (Feynman biography by Lawrence Krauss), have Inversions by Iain M. Banks checked out and need to read it, and the next one on the list is the Eisenhorn omnibus.

EDIT: Also just finished re-reading Hull 721 (the first part), because it was that good. Thanks ECR!