Your Avatar's Source or Meaning

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Max Payne & Mona Sax, from "Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne". Made from a screenshot off the official website. Because it's just such a cool pic. 8)
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Varies: Currently and at least once a week is the Shadow.

Most famous/Frequent is the Hoka from Gordon Dickson's "The Right to Arm Bears"

Another Favorite of mine is another "Right to arm bears" theme which is the "Redneck Bear" one.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

One of the greatest charcters of modern sci fi fiction bar none. 8)

Also the star of my crossover fanfics.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

Another Max Payne 2 one, what can I say? I'm an addict. :twisted:

Mona Sax. :luv:

Oh, and one of the coolest quotes from the original Max Payne below. :D
Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

The late, great George London in the role of Baron Scarpia from Puccini's Tosca.
I believe in the Holy Trinity: Bach the Father, Beethoven the Son and Brahms the Holy Ghost.
Shrykull
Jedi Master

Post by Shrykull »

not sure if anyone even knows mine. His name's Abe from Oddworld Abe's Oddysee, and my name is a demi-god he can morph into sometimes and fry everyone and everything on the screen with lightning bolts. I posted a vs thread once about him in a forum once, guess nobody knew who he was, I know maybe the white is annoying, I don't know how to use paintshop very well, once I get rid of it you'll never see it again, plus I don't know much about posting gif's and stuff, want to post once with Abe morphing into Shrykull.
jenat-lai
Jedi Knight

Post by jenat-lai »

My avitar is myself standing in front of one of the aircraft at my flight school. It is a Cessna 172m. it means Im cool cos I can fly planes :P
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Mine is a self-animated sprite from a Megaman game. I'm thinking of changing it, though.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Isil`Zha
Jedi Knight

Post by Isil`Zha »

Currently Naked Jehuty from the second Zone of Enders game, looks cool, and survived the destruction of a planetary body. :P

I'm thinking about changing the avatar back to the inverted color Anubis though.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Drach
Padawan Learner

Post by Drach »

Mine's Vash the Stampede, Humanoid Typhoon...why? Cause I like it /shrug
Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Re: Your Avatar's Source or Meaning

Post by jegs2 »

Nathan F wrote:So, what does your avatar stand for, or what is it's meaning? Does it even have a meaning, or did you just put it there because it looks cool?
Why, mine is a Stryker of course. It is an Infantry combat vehicle that is for what the Stryker Brigade Combat Team (SBCT) is named.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Aside from the picture of the character :P ...

Why I use the charcter(or better yet his alter ego) is an old high school joke.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Mine's... ummm... not wearing any pants.

My traditional Dancing Monkey avatar (currently taking up residence in Lord Pounder's sig) was too big to fit within this board's avatar filesize limit, so instead of going through the work of shrinking it down I took an image I'd made a while ago of a Mega Man sprite modified to look like myself holding a lightsabre and gave it a suit of stormtrooper armour.

I can't really explain its recent pants-less-ness, though. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Crayz9000 wrote:What company in their right mind makes dildos green?
What makes you think they're in their right mind?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

It's Palaeontologist Barbie. Any questions?

Vorlon, that's not a spaceship, it's a hibernating platypus. I have no idea where you got the impression it was a ship, when clearly it's a hibernating platypus.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Maybe platapi are tiny alien spaceships in disguise.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Brother Bobius returns.

<---

heretics = dead
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

My Avatar is an Arm Commander from the RTS game "Total Annihilation".

I've had this same avatar since I 1st figured out how to get an avatar.

I was tempted at christmas to alter it so it had a Christmas hat on or something but I was too lazy todo it.

I really need to get a better version of it however (might get some of the other TA art work too)
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Bug-Eyed Earl wrote:I have a history of unintentionally picking creepy avatars, so sometimes I intentionally do it.
Is that the best you could do? I once had Jerry The Alien (my affectionate nickname for the alien from the cover of Communion) as my avatar. Dalton described it as "freaky."
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

<--- Vlad "Dracula" Tepes!!

'Cause... Umm... Well... Uh... Because he was a genocidal madman possibly suffering from Carpathian kitten-loss and defeated the Ottomans when they tried to take Transsylvania, and that reminds me of myself? No? Oh well, guess he just looks cool... Bram Stoker's Dracula is a cool book (a film) as well. That's another reason why he's my avatar.

I only change it to "Vlad Santa" (change his hat into a christmas hat) for christmas.
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

Self-evident... With this Mars crazy, it was just a small step, besides, I like the way he looks pissed.

My other Av is the Kushan symbol from HW (well, I guess I have to call it HW1 now).

I have some good pics of HMS Warspite, but they get too cluttered when cropped and resize to Avatar size, so no Warspite for me, ever.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Mine is an older Delta unit for Operation Flashpoint, basically a reskinned NATO tank crewer. I changed the image to black-and-white and added some noise. I don't feel like changing it at all.
DarthBlight
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthBlight »

My current avatar is a picture of Dr. Gordon Gray, one of the alleged members of the Majestic-12 council. I played Majestic back when it was still around. I loved the whole premise, but the game itself needed serious work.

My first avatar was the logo of the Temporal Security Agency (or Annex) from the Journeyman Project game series.
150th post made June 9, 2003
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
Debater classification: Lurker
Darth Gojira
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Gojira »

Mine's a screencap from "Destroy All Monsters", taken(with my silent apologies) from badmovies.org. The other's come from a plethora of daikaiju site. I'm thinking of changing it to a non-Godzilla avatar, though.
Hokey masers and giant robots are no match for a good kaiju at your side, kid
Post #666: 5-24-03, 8:26 am (Hey, why not?)
Do you not believe in Thor, the Viking Thunder God? If not, then do you consider your state of disbelief in Thor to be a religion? Are you an AThorist?-Darth Wong on Atheism as a religion
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Chas, from one of the episodes of Roughnecks: Starship Trooper Chronicles

In that episode he kicked major bug ass. Of course later episodes had to show a bunch of robots like Chas easilly getting stomped by bugs. Otherwise, what would be the point of using humans at all?

Anyway, my normal and most commonly used avatar is Icedragon from the Mortal Kombat game that focuses on Sub Zero. I don't play the game because I suck but I thought it was cool and I liked the movies. Sub Zero is really only my second favorite character. I do, however like dragons and symbols quite a bit so it works for me. :D

I've used some of the pictures in my sig or variants of them as avatars.
The Thing because he's my JL avatar. The next three have to do with me being in the Warwolves and a former Electronic Warfar technician in the USN. Godzilla's in there because I'm a big fan. There's a modified Phoenix Coyote's symbol because it was kind of cool. Next is a hammer of Thor.

The last one I've used as an avatar occasionally. It's from the end credits of Conan The Barbarian[/b]. I like it because it looks like a creepy smiley face, plus I like the movie and the symbol represented Thulsa Doom's cult. Like I said before, I like symbols I blame too many comic books, especially the Legion of Superheros because they always had that cool status board where everyone was represented by a symbol.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Darth Wong wrote:Oddly, I've never felt the urge to change my avatar with the phases of the moon, like some people do. I've had basically the same avatar since the board was made (except for enlarging it and darkening Yoda's robes).
You have a Christmas Yoda. I remember him well.

Basically, I've always had my USN, except this is special for 9/11 because I like it.

I did have the USMC one up there one time, though, for about a couple of days. I'm still not sure why I degraded myself with that. :P
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight