No more swearing in California

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: No more swearing in California

Post by Starglider »

Awesome. California is getting closer to the portrayal in The Demolition Man every day. :)
born in shadow
Youngling

Post by born in shadow »

Starglider wrote:Awesome. California is getting closer to the portrayal in The Demolition Man every day. :)
Which means we get Arnold as a President and Wesley Snipes showing up to roundhouse kick police officers :D

Hopefully this just stays as something that shows up on the odd calender, rather than something anyone has to waste their time over.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

More useless feel good crap from the government that doesn't do anything but makes people feel better. Reminds me of the various stupid laws around the country just add this one to the list.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Liberty Ferall wrote:The kid sounds like the same kind of little puritanical shit I was when I was sixteen. Surprised he hasn't asked his parents to homeschool him to keep him away from all the bad words! :roll:

See, I was homeschooled, and I literally didn't hear the word "fuck" until I got to college. Literally. Didn't even know about it. I looked it up in the dictionary freshman year.
Yeah, but you had the excuse that you'd been kept isolated and ignorant. This kid doesn't have that excuse and somehow thinks the most important thing that he could put his time into is ineffectually moralizing about cussing while having a complete lack of understanding about the difference between causation and correlation. Hell, I would think this week would have the opposite effect with people being contrary.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Liberty
Jedi Knight

Post by Liberty »

Mayabird wrote:
Liberty Ferall wrote:The kid sounds like the same kind of little puritanical shit I was when I was sixteen. Surprised he hasn't asked his parents to homeschool him to keep him away from all the bad words! :roll:

See, I was homeschooled, and I literally didn't hear the word "fuck" until I got to college. Literally. Didn't even know about it. I looked it up in the dictionary freshman year.
Yeah, but you had the excuse that you'd been kept isolated and ignorant. This kid doesn't have that excuse and somehow thinks the most important thing that he could put his time into is ineffectually moralizing about cussing while having a complete lack of understanding about the difference between causation and correlation. Hell, I would think this week would have the opposite effect with people being contrary.
I agree, but to his credit, he's really young and is probably brainwashed by religious parents.
Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of. - Benjamin Franklin
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

hunter5 wrote:More useless moralistic crap from fundie shithead conservative legislators that doesn't do anything but makes fundie churchgoing sheeple feel better. Reminds me of the various stupid laws around the country just add this one to the list.
Corrected for accuracy.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Of note I regularly correct baptists about the pagan origins of our favorates:

1. <vagina>=ROMAN Goddess of fertility whose priestess would go down on other women as religious ceremony

2. IT´s not an~acronym it's Viking/German for force¸ plow¸ or sex

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I used to go pretty light on the cussing until I hardened the fuck up in tenth grade. Now I frequently use them. I find the notion that there is something innately wrong or rude about specific words to be moronic.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Spartan wrote:If you look close it's the Associated Press that came up with the story. Fox may be the one carrying the story in this case, but you can see a little AP just under the article's headline.
Is that evidence they did not make it up?

I'll believe it when I see California local papers carrying the news. A cursory search on the websites of the LA Times and the Sacramento Bee revealed nothing, but that proves, well, nothing.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Does the Associated Press have a reputation for making shit up? No? Okay then.

Edit: Matter of fact, here's the same story on MSNBC.com and, what do you know, it's from the Associated Press. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35585018/ns/us_news-life/
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Simon_Jester wrote:
The Spartan wrote:If you look close it's the Associated Press that came up with the story. Fox may be the one carrying the story in this case, but you can see a little AP just under the article's headline.
Is that evidence they did not make it up?

I'll believe it when I see California local papers carrying the news. A cursory search on the websites of the LA Times and the Sacramento Bee revealed nothing, but that proves, well, nothing.
Is the fucking text of the bill itself from the stupid ass legislative assembly good enough for you asshole?
Are you fucking happy now?
You better be or I'll rip your fucking balls off and rape you with your own cock.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I know Fox doesn't have the best reputation around here but is it really reasonable to believe Fox faked an AP story about swearing? Use your head, Simon.
XXXI
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Dalton wrote:I'd love to see people try to propose this in New York (the Fuck You State). Comedy gold.
They'll probably end up like this dumbass who tried to heckle George Carlin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it9kpZHXhxI
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Liberty Ferall wrote: Unbeknownst to me, our hall director had put all the girls who mentioned "church" "Bible reading" "youth group" etc. on forms they sent in about their interests on the same floor, so actually the dorm floor I was on was fairly Christian.
My admissions director did something similar for me. I ended up rooming with probably the only other gay guy in my freshmen class, even though I hadn't told her I was gay. It didn't work out though, boy was he annoying. In the end, he switched rooms and I ended up with a very nice straightish Greek guy with long black hair.

Californians need to pass another one of their government crippling voter propositions stripping the legislature of all non-binding resolution powers to stop shit like this.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Phantasee wrote:I know Fox doesn't have the best reputation around here but is it really reasonable to believe Fox faked an AP story about swearing? Use your head, Simon.
I don't know.

I could actually believe some random guy on Fox faking an AP story and the network letting them... or, more accurately, not bothering to check. Or maybe quietly firing the guy and not admitting they lied. In hindsight, they probably wouldn't do it over this, but then you'd think they wouldn't risk getting called out on petty bullshit like misreporting the party affiliation of Congressmen involved in scandals, or claiming that a Teabagger protest in Washington had two million attendees.

I couldn't believe the AP themselves faking the story, of course.

So, OK, it's real, not just echo-chamber crap. After some of the blatant fakery they've been party to in the past few years, I think I have a right to be skeptical of something that comes out of Fox News and is politically convenient for them.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Vastatosaurus Rex
BANNED

Post by Vastatosaurus Rex »

In my opinion, what matters is not the words you use, but the context in which you use them. If, for example, a guy compliments his girlfriend by saying she is "fucking beautiful", where's the harm in that? On the other hand, you can still be offensive without using any swear words. Suppose someone were to say, "Let us exterminate African-Americans." That uses perfectly PC language, yet it's still an evil thing to say.

The only words I have second thoughts about using are slurs like "nigger", "gook", and "honky", and even in their case, context matters. If I were to read a book in which an unsympathetic character said "nigger", I wouldn't be bothered by it at all, for that wasn't the author's voice, but rather one of his characters'.

This legislation is apparently intended to create a more civil climate, but it is only addressing a symptom rather than the problem.
And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead.
---Old Arabian Proverb
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Vastatosaurus Rex wrote:In my opinion, what matters is not the words you use, but the context in which you use them. If, for example, a guy compliments his girlfriend by saying she is "fucking beautiful", where's the harm in that? On the other hand, you can still be offensive without using any swear words. Suppose someone were to say, "Let us exterminate African-Americans." That uses perfectly PC language, yet it's still an evil thing to say.

The only words I have second thoughts about using are slurs like "nigger", "gook", and "honky", and even in their case, context matters. If I were to read a book in which an unsympathetic character said "nigger", I wouldn't be bothered by it at all, for that wasn't the author's voice, but rather one of his characters'.

This legislation is apparently intended to create a more civil climate, but it is only addressing a symptom rather than the problem.
Sure, but it won't even do that. The kid in the story sees a connection between profanity and "drug use and bullying" which seems highly dubious. I'll swear until the paint on the walls curl (usually when working on a stubborn machine or some such, at home) but I don't act like that in public, or around other people in general. It's just a way to let off steam. But I also never use slurs, even in private, because I don't think that way. Using profanity and using racial slurs are two totally different things. People who use slurs have bigger issues that need to be addressed and this will not help. It is a complete a total waste of time.