OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Strafe wrote: GTO
Great Teacher Onizuka! Funny, and perverted; what more do you need? :twisted:
Strafe wrote: Ninja Scroll
Another obvious one I forgot. Violent, weird and Perverted in sections.
Strafe wrote:Gundam Wing - I liked it! What? :D
Does he really have the 8 years it would take to watch the whole thing? :D
Strafe wrote:Dragonball Z
Controversy time, I prefer GT.
:P
Strafe wrote:Bastard!
And of course Berserk!
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Iria: Zeram the Animation (can't believe you missed that one, Kat)
Most of my other suggestions seem to have been covered already, but I will still exhort them: Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Hellsing, Ping Pong Club, Excel Saga, Serial Experiments: Lain, Ghost in the Shell (Rob, were you referring to the series?) and Reign the Conqueror. Be careful of that last one, though; it is NOT what you'd expect anime to look like. If you've ever seen Aeon Flux, you'll know what I mean.

EDIT: Lupin III is great for a laugh (decent English voice acting too). Speaking of Lupin, I just remembered that Hayao Miyazaki did a Lupin III movie called Castle of Cagliostrio (never seen it, any good?). He's a great director; Mononoke Hime was awesome, and Spirited Away was very cool for a fairytale.
Last edited by Dalton on 2003-03-06 12:59am, edited 1 time in total.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Nani? :?

You wouldn't happen to be thinking of the whole of Gundam, rather than just Wing, would you?
「かかっ―」
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote: Oh, and don't suggest Blood, unless you want an example you can point at and say: "yeah, that's a really short anime film without a plot. what the hell is supposed to be going on in the big picture, anyway?" It makes the gaps in plot explanation of Jinroh look like they really are just hard to pick out. :?
Actually as a condensed snapshot of everything Anime, it's just what the doctor ordered (the only thing missing is Mecha and Spaceships). It was done purely as a demonstration piece, and considering that Shinova's seen enough other Anime, i figured he'd enjoy it. No, I wouldn't recommend it to an Anime virgin (unless they were into Vampires or gothic monsters).
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

I've seen Blood. I thought it was damn good, if a little confusing.
To Absent Friends

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Dalton wrote:, Ghost in the Shell (Rob, were you referring to the series?)
and the film, maybe by the time he's watched all these GITS :2 will be out. :D
Dalton wrote:EDIT: Lupin III is great for a laugh (decent English voice acting too). Speaking of Lupin, I just remembered that Hayao Miyazaki did a Lupin III movie called Castle of Cagliostrio (never seen it, any good?).
I hated it, crap animation with totally subpar story and Voice acting compared to his other stuff. That said if you liked his other work give it a look see, after all not everyone likes or dislikes the same stuff as me.

Image Image
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

XaLEv wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
Nani? :?

You wouldn't happen to be thinking of the whole of Gundam, rather than just Wing, would you?
Just pointing out it seems to go on forever. A bit like DBZ, but with a storyline, oh and Bishonen boys every fucking where. :roll: :P

Image Image
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Yeah :) But what exactly was "Stand Alone Complex" referring to?
Rob Wilson wrote:
Dalton wrote:EDIT: Lupin III is great for a laugh (decent English voice acting too). Speaking of Lupin, I just remembered that Hayao Miyazaki did a Lupin III movie called Castle of Cagliostrio (never seen it, any good?).
I hated it, crap animation with totally subpar story and Voice acting compared to his other stuff. That said if you liked his other work give it a look see, after all not everyone likes or dislikes the same stuff as me.
OK, I'll rent it maybe.
To Absent Friends

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Dalton wrote:I've seen Blood. I thought it was damn good, if a little confusing.
I wasn't impressed by it at all. I may be an anime fan, but as usual, substance comes first (hey, it's why I put it in my profile, afterall, among other important info. :P ). Oh, and Spanky's in the same room here, and he says the character designs are ugly, but everything else looks good.

Personally, I'm partial to Gundam 0080 (a bit better than 08th MS Team, unless you're a Gundam fan, or give bonus points to emulating a war story), Outlaw Star (it was fun, what can I say? Story gets a bit winding, though), and Green Legend Ran.
By His Word...
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote:I wasn't impressed by it at all. I may be an anime fan, but as usual, substance comes first (hey, it's why I put it in my profile, afterall, among other important info. :P ). Oh, and Spanky's in the same room here, and he says the character designs are ugly, but everything else looks good.
Meh, I thought the character design was alright. Very gritty too, just how I like it. Most of the anime I see is too "clean".
Darth Utsanomiko wrote:Personally, I'm partial to Gundam 0080 (a bit better than 08th MS Team, unless you're a Gundam fan, or give bonus points to emulating a war story), Outlaw Star (it was fun, what can I say? Story gets a bit winding, though), and Green Legend Ran.
I haven't seen any Gundam (Not into Mecha, but Ali's trying to get me into Turn A) nor have I seen Ran, but Outlaw Star's one of my favorite series. Very cool.
To Absent Friends

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Dalton wrote:
Rob Wilson wrote:
Yeah :) But what exactly was "Stand Alone Complex" referring to?
The Series. It's called Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex. (by far the best 'characters' are the Tachikoma's, or as I call them Tamagochi's :P , the end of the game of Go had me in stitches).
Last edited by Rob Wilson on 2003-03-06 01:14am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

Given that Shinova is already a fan, he's probably already seen all of the "standard" stuff -- Evangelion, Ranma (blech!), Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, and so forth, so I'll try and avoid those. Of more recent stuff, some of what I'd probably recommend are Chobits (licensed by Pioneer), Saishuuheiki Kanojo (AKA She, The Ultimate Weapon), Haibane Renmei (AKA Charcoal Feathers Federation, licensed by Pioneer), Seikai no Monshou/Senki (AKA Crest/Banner of the Stars, licensed by Bandai), and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Older stuff that's a bit more obscure would be Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Key: The Metal Idol, Giant Robo, Dragon Half, and El-Hazard: The Magnificent World. If buying DVDs, stay away from Wings of Honneamise, which was recommended by someone else -- while the anime is a good one, it has fatal encoding flaws that screw up even the best players, and Manga Entertainment refuses to issue a recall.
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Oh, and of course I'm obligated to reccomend Neon Genesis Evangelion and definitely End of Evangelion afterwards. Watch the series, pay attention, watch it again and make sure you understand what it all means, then watch End of Evangelion for the true, intended ending. I ought to watch EoE again tonight, while I'm at it. Just because. :P
By His Word...
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Datana wrote: Giant Robo,
Brilliant series, completely out of it's mind! :D

Datana wrote:If buying DVDs, stay away from Wings of Honneamise, which was recommended by someone else -- while the anime is a good one, it has fatal encoding flaws that screw up even the best players, and Manga Entertainment refuses to issue a recall.
Didn't know that, I have it on video and can highly recommend it. Maybe he can catch it if it's shown on TV.

Image Image
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Datana wrote:Given that Shinova is already a fan, he's probably already seen all of the "standard" stuff -- Evangelion, Ranma (blech!), Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, and so forth, so I'll try and avoid those. Of more recent stuff, some of what I'd probably recommend are Chobits (licensed by Pioneer), Saishuuheiki Kanojo (AKA She, The Ultimate Weapon), Haibane Renmei (AKA Charcoal Feathers Federation, licensed by Pioneer), Seikai no Monshou/Senki (AKA Crest/Banner of the Stars, licensed by Bandai), and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Older stuff that's a bit more obscure would be Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Key: The Metal Idol, Giant Robo, Dragon Half, and El-Hazard: The Magnificent World. If buying DVDs, stay away from Wings of Honneamise, which was recommended by someone else -- while the anime is a good one, it has fatal encoding flaws that screw up even the best players, and Manga Entertainment refuses to issue a recall.
I've heard about Saikano... Was it good?

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Datana wrote:...and El-Hazard: The Magnificent World.
Oh yeah, I've been meaning to get the original series of El Hazard on DVD. "It's drinking time." :D
If buying DVDs, stay away from Wings of Honneamise, which was recommended by someone else -- while the anime is a good one, it has fatal encoding flaws that screw up even the best players, and Manga Entertainment refuses to issue a recall.
They fucking refuse at admit there's even any flaws. And the End of Evangelion DVD was messed up too, untill they finally issued a half-assed 'send it in, and we'll replace it, if it actually has problems' recall. Goddamn American distributors.

At the very least they could be honest and change their slogan to "Manga Entertainment: What else can you expect from a company that can't ever pronounce their own name?" :wink:
By His Word...
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Datana wrote:Given that Shinova is already a fan, he's probably already seen all of the "standard" stuff -- Evangelion, Ranma (blech!), Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, and so forth, so I'll try and avoid those.
Reread the third post.
Shinova wrote:I have seen:

Tenchi Muyo
Love Hina
1/2 of Evangelion
3 OVAs of Record of Lodoss War
3 episodes of Ranma 1/2
1 episode of Cowboy Bebop
「かかっ―」
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Darth Utsanomiko wrote:
At the very least they could be honest and change their slogan to "Manga Entertainment: What else can you expect from a company that can't ever pronounce their own name?" :wink:
Ah yes "Mohnga Entertainment", retards! How the hell did they manage to get manga wrong? :roll:

Image Image
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

Azumanga Daioh - about the lives of some high school girls ~ funniest anime ever
Ranma 1/2 - about a boy who becomes a girl when drenched with cold water
I My Me! Strawberry Eggs - phys ed teacher dresses like a woman to teach at a school with man-hating administrators
Onegai Teacher - alien woman, under the guise of a teacher. gets involved with a dork that goes comatose frequently
Kareshi Kanojo No Jijou - high school girl puts on a pretty face for everyone, until she meets a boy as smart as she is
Ebichu the Housekeeping Hamster - raunchy and perverted show about a female hamster that lives in an apartment with her master, and her master's cheating boyfriend
One Piece - about a boy who wants to become THE PIRATE KING, and his crew's adventures
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Someone recommend to me then the most PERVERTED hentai then!
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Rob Wilson wrote:
Darth Utsanomiko wrote:
Ah yes "Mohnga Entertainment", retards! How the hell did they manage to get manga wrong? :roll:
Because they don't care. Simple as that.

"Man-gah", Jesus 'El Savior' christ, how did they get the first 'A' wrong, but the second 'A' right? Don't they know that Japanese vowels are pronounced the same way every time? Thoughtless morons. :roll:

Oh, and I've got a hankerin' to see Witch Hunter Robin, which is odd, since I'm such a cynnic when it comes to new, recently-made shows.
By His Word...
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Trytostaydead wrote:Someone recommend to me then the most PERVERTED hentai then!
No, when you get into that, you have to look for it alone.

And don't forget your raincoat when you're at it. :wink:
By His Word...
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Hameru wrote: Azumanga Daioh - about the lives of some high school girls ~ funniest anime ever.
Which reminds me, what's the name of the Anime where it's the boy living with his female Teachers (who apperently can move at the speed of light :D )
Hameru wrote: I My Me! Strawberry Eggs - phys ed teacher dresses like a woman to teach at a school with man-hating administrators.
The beginning of the first episode is great, that woman knows how to collect her rent! :twisted:

If you want that sort of daftness then there's also Fruits Basket, and Jubei chan - The Ninja Girl. oh and the unedited, non-US version of CardCaptor Sakura
:)

Image Image
Datana
Jedi Master

Post by Datana »

XaLEv, I overlooked that post, thanks.

Oh, and as an addendum to the list of recent series, Witch Hunter Robin is also pretty good, once one gets past the episodic first half of the series and into the main plot. The biggest recent disappointment for me was probably Kiddy Grade -- the trailer released a few weeks before it started was absolutely stunning, but the series ended up badly written, on top of which it took a completely different feel from the trailer (slapstick instead of grim). At least it's still more entertaining than the average episode of Enterprise.

Exonerate -- Saikano is probably not for everyone. It spends a great deal of time setting up characters, plots, and situations only to bring everything crashing down piece by piece, kind of like in a classic tragedy. The best way to describe it, I guess, is take the overused "mechanical girl" and shoujo genres and turn events and cliches on their head. It's unrealistic and at the same time surreal, and most people I know who've seen it have either loved it or absolutely hated it for that. My opinion? Well, it's one of the few shows I've imported the R2 for. And is that a Chise avatar that you're using?

Rob -- I think that the series you're talking about is Onegai Teacher. (EDIT: Reading your description again, probably not; sorry.)
Member of the Anti-PETA Anti-Fascist League
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Trytostaydead wrote:Someone recommend to me then the most PERVERTED hentai then!
'Return of the Overfiend'. Watch it, and you will die of disgust.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown