About the same.
32%
Oooh...you said a bad word...
3%

Total votes: 116

Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

I swear as much offline as I do online. That said, I really don't swear THAT much...yet.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
LeftWingExtremist
Padawan Learner

Post by LeftWingExtremist »

I honestly dont swear to often, I tend to prefer profanity (unless you count: bugger, bloody, or crap swear words). But im pretty sure I tend to swear more online than offline. You would have to get me pretty pissed off to get me to swear on a chatroom or a forum (depending how formal the forum). Although I can be a little liberal when im playing an online game.

"...And everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." - eclipse, Pink Floyd.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Pretty much the same. I'll hold my tongue when appropriate, of course.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

About the same, assuming that a forum equates to a similar social group/situation. Like, I swear the same here as I would with my friends, same on the bolton music forum which is how I talk with musicians, when I'm with a lot of uptight people and it will adversely effect me to swear, I'll try to keep it down.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Definitely offline, simply because I don't like typing out extra, unnecessary words, and typically swear words fall into that category for me. I'm not a particularly fast typer, so, the less words I have to type, the better. Yes, I know I'm lazy.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

I tend to swear more offline, partially because my major hangout online is a company forum that I mod, so swearing isn't really appropriate.
Alerik the Fortunate
Jedi Knight

Post by Alerik the Fortunate »

I never swear. I'm too inhibited. If I swear in a dream, I'll wake up feeling guilty. I've gotten past that phase now, and I'll consider doing it if the situation warrants it, but no situation yet has. I think that keeping profanity absolutely out of my vocabulary will make it that much more effective to anyone who knows me if I should ever choose to deploy it for earnest dramatic effect in some impassioned concatenation. But that time has not yet come, and I'm not inclined otherwise anyway.
Every day is victory.
No victory is forever.
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

Far more offline, with the exception of MSN. This is, of course, context-sensitive- I don't swear at work or with family, but with friends I'm extraordinarily foul-mouthed.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I tend to swear more offline.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Alerik the Fortunate wrote:-snip-
You pretty much said it for me. I swear more online, but that's only because I don't swear at all in real life, unless you count "crap" as a swear word. Online I still don't much, the rarity of it I think helps increase the impact when I do. Or if I'm drunk. I'll swear colorfully online then.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Acidburns
Padawan Learner

Post by Acidburns »

I swear casually when I'm with friends, or with imediate family. I very rarely swear online.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Offline, as online I have to make a deliberate choice to put the swear word in. Of course, I mainly swear Farscape style, making up random words, but the sentiment is there.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

I'm pretty fucking foulmouthed offline, but I swear even more online.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
namdoolb
Padawan Learner

Post by namdoolb »

Offline, easily.

Mostly due to the fact that you can (and most of us do) swear as much as you like at work. (where I work at least)

Nobody cares if you throw in a fuck or a shit or something equally coulorful.

For some strange reason I actualy hold my tongue when I'm on here, and this is the one forum I go to where people don't care if you swear as long as it's for a good cause.
haard
Padawan Learner

Post by haard »

Offline. I almost never swear online, other than if I feel the need for a calculated insult - and then there are almost always better (as in more insulting) ways. Might be an effect of the fact that I (almost) never respond to a post while angry, since I dislike to read angry rants myself, and since angry rants are often easily dissected, disassembled, and left humiliated.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failure is your style

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

Thus Aristotle laid it down that a heavy object falls faster then a light one does.
The important thing about this idea is not that he was wrong, but that it never occurred to Aristotle to check it.
- Albert Szent-Györgyi de Nagyrápolt
brianeyci
Emperor's Hand

Post by brianeyci »

J wrote:About the same which is to say almost never.
Damn that's sexy.

I swear all the time at home. At least a few times a day. I know it makes me sound uneducated, a baffoon, maybe an attention whore, or somebody who can't express his emotions any other way, but I say fuck that shit :P.

Brian
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

I swear like a trooper offline - I've even started doing it iny my tutorials ("Y'know, the fucking, the fucking what's-it-called - Cambodia, that's it. Man, that was bullshit.") I really have to try and curb it.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

You people all need your mouths washed out with soap!!!

No seriously, it's about the same for me. Living with an ex military man has me used to hearing swear words and saying them too. I'm not proud of it but I try to not swear around my children and I almost never do it when my parents or other older folks are around.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I certainly swear more over here and on LA than I do when talking to people in Real Life. Overall is a whole different ballgame. If PCs had feelings there'd be any number of them wanting to kill me.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lisa
Jedi Knight

Post by Lisa »

I try to avoid swearing but some times it's a nice release.
May you live in interesting times.
Larz
Rabid Monkey

Post by Larz »

I hardly type swear words online... but in real life I swear quiet an amount especially when driving ("Damn shithead, learn to fucking drive!"), when playing games ("No fucking shit I'm dead... asshole NPC."), when putting things together ("Why the fuck can't I get this damn piece of shit thing to fit in this other shitty damned hellspawn thing!"), and even at work ("This asshat wants some benzos to get shit faced with, should I tell him to fuck off?").
"Once again we wanted our heroes to be simple, grizzled everymen with nothing to lose; one foot in the grave, the other wrapped in an American flag and lodged firmly in a terrorist's asshole."

Brotherhood of the Monkey: Nonchalant Disgruntled Monkey
Justice League
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I swear a lot more on-line mostly to get my point across. If i tell someone in RL i'm angry they will know i am but the look on my face, on-line conversations sometimes require a little extra defination. Though because of the internest i do swear a lot more, even in front of my parents which is something i never used to do.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I use the word "fuck" as punctuation.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

About the same. It's the topics of conversation more than environment that influence how much I swear.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

About the same...though depends on setting as well. I do not ever curse to clients, rarely to the IRS, but at the office? I'm a sailor. But given that my boss has heard worse, she's pretty good with it and laughs.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete