University students--do you take your laptops to class?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I plan on bringing my laptop with me to classes when I start college this fall, but I'm not entirely sure how it'll work out for me. On the one hand, I can type faster than I can write, and my handwriting is so bad that even I have some difficultly reading it some times. On the other, I often don't take as many notes as I should during lectures, so I might be tempted by the diversion that a laptop provides. Then again, very few, if any, of my classes are in huge lecture halls, so it might not be as feasible to goof off as some people.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Steel wrote:
Phantasee wrote: The laptop is useful between classes, so you don't have to go to the computer labs and possibly wait for a free one. Cambridge probably has wireless over most of campus(heh, Cambridge).
Not in the actual (original) cambridge. I think theres wireless everywhere in MIT and in the other cambridge, but over here there isnt wireless in most places.
How many Cambridges are there?!

What is this 'other Cambridge'? And I thought that Cambridge would be, you know, keeping up with the times. Isn't it a high class school?
XXXI
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Phantasee wrote:
Steel wrote:Not in the actual (original) cambridge. I think theres wireless everywhere in MIT and in the other cambridge, but over here there isnt wireless in most places.
How many Cambridges are there?!

What is this 'other Cambridge'? And I thought that Cambridge would be, you know, keeping up with the times. Isn't it a high class school?
Well, he could've meant one of two things. There's a city called Cambridge in Massachussets, which is the home of Harvard University and MIT: this Cambridge. A couple of people assumed, when I told them I'd gotten into Cambridge, that I meant either Harvard or MIT, and proceeded to tell me about how great Boston is. I corrected them, by saying that I was going to the originaly Cambridge, in England.

The other thing Steel might have meant (although I'm thinking the first is probably more likely) is that the University of Cambridge is comprised of 31 individual Colleges that all fall under the umbrella of the University of Cambridge. This website talks about them in more detail if you are interested, but because Cambridge has so many independent bits, each with their own story of how they came to be assimilated by the University, there are some Colleges that are older and some that are newer. Officially they're all part of the University of Cambridge, but I can see how some people who belong to the oldest Colleges might look disfavourably upon the newer ones.

Oh, and as to your last comment, about it being a high-class school, I don't think being modern is something that's overwhelmed much of the University. The living areas have wireless (at least at my College), but from the paperwork, I didn't get the idea that it's everywhere. And Steel's been there at school this past year, so I'm sure he knows better than anyone else here. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman