Non-Science Fiction Shows that you HATE...

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Big Brother.

Its in its 5th or 6th series here now, and the amount of advertising channel 10 do over it is bloody annoying. Hyping up the 'big secrets', The big secret is that there is a mum and daughter in the house and the other housemates don't know!! And the daughter has fake boobs!! :roll:

The people in the house are a bunch of losers that are annoying even on the adds... then having to hear other losers at work talk about it all day....
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

All of reality TV, especially American Idol. There's three reasons for my particularly hating this one. One: practically everyone I know at college loves it, so I occasionally get stuck having to watch it and getting shushed if I dare say anything. Two: The songs released by the winners have a tendancy to be ones that I don't like but get stuck in my head anyway. Before American Idol, only sk8r boi did this to me, and now there must be half a dozen songs that have this effect. Three: Simon Cowell just really pisses me off for some reason.

Another vote for Mind of Mencia. Man's just not funny.

My Super Sweet Sixteen. A showcase of spoiled, bitchy teenage girls.

Every attempt Nickelodean's made at appealling to the teenage crowd. There are too damned many teen dramas on TV as it is and that's not what Nick is supposed to be.

While there are exceptions, the bulk of current cartoons are pathetic compared to those of the 90s, both in terms of story and the quality of the animation, and I hate them for it. Disney and Nick used to put out lots of great cartoons, but these days all Nick has is Avatar and Danny Phantom, and I think they might've pulled the plug on the latter. All the modern Disney cartoons have been piss so far as I know.

The OC, and any shows like it. Painfully predictable and absurdly dramatic, with lots of pretty people.

There's this anime...thing on Cartoon Network that came on before Justice League called Bobobobobo or something. Somebody must've been smoking some damned bad stuff when they came up with it...

I don't understand all the hatred for Charmed. I've seen it a few times and I'm not about to argue that it's great TV, but I don't understand why three hot chicks doing magic merits such hatred.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Trogdor wrote: I don't understand all the hatred for Charmed. I've seen it a few times and I'm not about to argue that it's great TV, but I don't understand why three hot chicks doing magic merits such hatred.
Because its to "Demons R teh Evil!" coupled with a new bigger badder menace that only the power of 3 can handle. It was fine for a little while, but after the whole them killing the source of all evil and bigger badder badguys are still poping out of the woodwork. Also it comes off as really pretentious to boot.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Simple. Reality shows and Teen drama. Both are waste of energy to watch or produce, and really are formulaic as can be.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Ryoga
Jedi Knight

Post by Ryoga »

I've said it before, but...I can't stand House. The guy's supposed to be the hot-shot 'I'm eccentric but really good!11' stereotype, except he's addicted to Vicodin and has done operations under its effects. In a later episode one of the adminstrators actually fucking JOKES with him about how they got sued for around two million dollars, and somehow the shithead still has his job and medical license?

Uhm...how about 'no'? :roll:
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Ryoga wrote:I've said it before, but...I can't stand House. The guy's supposed to be the hot-shot 'I'm eccentric but really good!11' stereotype, except he's addicted to Vicodin and has done operations under its effects. In a later episode one of the adminstrators actually fucking JOKES with him about how they got sued for around two million dollars, and somehow the shithead still has his job and medical license?

Uhm...how about 'no'? :roll:
Blasphemer. Dr. House pwns your soul.

He's brilliant, he's just also an unethical asshole. That's what's so great about him.

When'd he operate under the influence? Shit, considering the man needs a cane to walk around, how'd he end up doing surgery in the first place? I'd think his muscles couldn't handle the absolute steadiness.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

House is a great show! Snappy dialouge, no completely "likeable" characters, just the right amount of silly!

Though I don't recall him ever actually operating --doesn't he always have his team do that stuff?
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

All soaps, apart from Neighbours. It's my one guilty pleasure. The majority of house/DIY shows. The OC....

Oh and House is one of about.. 6 Yank shows i actually like. :P
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Pick wrote:House is a great show! Snappy dialouge, no completely "likeable" characters, just the right amount of silly!

Though I don't recall him ever actually operating --doesn't he always have his team do that stuff?
Gregory House is a diagnostician, not a surgeon. And yes, his "House pets" are the ones who do all the grunt-work.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Dartzap wrote:All soaps, apart from Neighbours. It's my one guilty pleasure. The majority of house/DIY shows. The OC....
I have to mimic this. Sensationalist reporting on ITV annoys the shit out of me, "killer or cure?" for genetic modification or choosing the gender of the baby? Eat my anus. :roll:
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I don't dislike House; from what I've seen of it the show seems ultra slick with tight writing, snappy script and first rate production values, plus I don't really mind Hugh Laurie (despite his borderline phoney American accent).

One other show that I like is American Dad!; sure it’s obviously modelled closely on Family Guy, but I do not understand all the rabid vitriol directed against it. :(
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Frank Hipper wrote: Have you seen any of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares? This show has him strolling into restaurants on the verge of failure (bad food, pretentious "chefs" who have no business even washing dishes, nauseating health-code violations) and attempts to steer them towards success.
I know the topic of this thread is hated TV, but that show rocks so many, so hard. Watching it, I realise I'd enjoy working with that bastard; I'm something of a prick in a kitchen my own self. :P
He has quite an entertaining show called Ramsey's F Word which is quite an entertaining "food magazine" program, too. I can barely make myself toast and I find it quite fascinating. :)

On topic: The whole of ITV. Someone earlier mentioned ITV news being like the Sun, I agree. But I think the same applies to the whole channel. I just feel stupid for watching anything on ITV.

Big Brother is awful, but ironically enough Big Brother's Big Mouth is pretty funny. I could watch Russell Brand for hours.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Any and all talk shows and soap operas. :evil: :finger:
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

"Today Tonight" and "A Current Affair"
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:"Today Tonight" and "A Current Affair"
Oh, god yes.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

General dislike of WB shows because they're prep bullshit.

Mucho hate of CSI because of the trendy nature of the show, not the good old-school tough guy attitude from the guys in Law and Order. Seems to be enjoyed mostly by Fox News viewers.

Reality TV, which anyone with an IQ over 2 would dislike.

Also, I'm starting to get sick of the camera work in National Geographic shows. In almost every program they speed up the footage and then stop the camera right in front of someone's face. And they also spin the camera around the person while everything is sped up. I hate that.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I began hating American Idol because it came before 24 during one season. I wanted to see Jack Bauer kicking terrorist ass, not Ryan Seacrest telling me I was about to see Jack Bauer kicking terrorist ass.

I never watched Nashville Star, but after seeing that pug-ugly broad Wynona Judd (quite possibly the best argument against eye-shadow in existence) in commercial after commercial telling me to watch it when I was trying to watch Law & Order, I decided to actively hate it. Oh yeah and Cowboy Troy is a douche. You can't be black, have "Cowboy" as one part of your name and then a nancy-boy, white-bread, upper-middle-class named like "Troy" as the other. I'm sorry, it just doesn't work.

Same deal with Top Chef. Never watched it, and with the Bravo announcer once again interrupting my Law & Order to tell me about it in his annoying, nasally, asinine voice, I never will.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

I don't watch TV much, so I don't have much to go on. Mostly because just about everything's so just-about-universally crappy.
JointStrikeFighter wrote:"Today Tonight" and "A Current Affair"
A Current Affair!? That old fossil's still around?! I thought the early '90s came back to pick it up on the Short Bus. Does it still have that annoying intro "deedeedaadodu-WHUMMMMMMMMM!!!" sound?
Image Image
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:A Current Affair!? That old fossil's still around?! I thought the early '90s came back to pick it up on the Short Bus. Does it still have that annoying intro "deedeedaadodu-WHUMMMMMMMMM!!!" sound?
It didn't actually last that long. The show died, and then was ressurected last year or earlier this year, I can't remember. I haven't watched on full episode of it since it came back.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Post by Admiral Johnason »

I hate the OC and most of the crap on MTV along with most of the WB's lineup.
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

I dislike the modern incarnation of SNL. It use to be funny, occasionally witty, but now it's all just annoying bullshit.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

I guess other shows that were widely disliked back in the day were David E. Kelley stinkers such as Ally McBeal (which I saw and wrote off as dreadful) and possibly The Practice (which I haven't seen - I heard it started off well but went down crapper after the first couple of seasons).

The more recent David E. Kelley shows had popular Trek stars; Boston Legal has Bill Shatner and the now cancelled Boston Public had Jeri Ryan. Both those shows have never been imported properly over here and I've seen a brief clip of Boston Legal and it looked pretty awful, so by extension Boston Public must've been pretty bad as well.

What David E. Kelley shows do you like or dislike?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I hate all of DEK's shows.

And frankly, there are also a large number of science fiction shows that I hate, too. So there, BO, there. HA!!
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I hate all of DEK's shows.
Uh, OK, what David E. Kelley show do hate more than the other David E. Kelley shows?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I don't bother to remember anything he's done in the long term.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"