NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

The problem with the Flyers is the entire team's built for the pre-lockout grind & hold game, where size & strength are the most important attributes for the players. In the new NHL, skating speed and puck handling are of utmost importance and the Flyers are sorely lacking in both, and it shows in every single game. They get beaten to loose pucks almost all the time, give up a lot of odd man rushes since their players move like slugs and get left behind in the offensive zone, and they can't score either since they're too slow to gain the zone and chase after pucks. They're actually worse off now than Toronto was last year, at least we had a few speedy young guys on the 4th line and decent goaltending. At this rate they might as well can the entire team and bring in the farm team players.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

FUUUUUUUCK'N A.

Ducks actually win in a shootout, a big comeback win over the hated Kings.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9YWqzJh1aBs

Enjoy. "Duckbill" is my handle on the Anaheim Ducks BBS, and hockeyfights.com
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Those motherfuckers can't lose.

And neither can Buffalo, apparently.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Ethan Moreau out for the balance of the regular season after throwing a punch at Danny Markov in the Detroit vs Edmonton game.

Linka...

HA!

Suck it Oilers!

Pronger and the Ducks better beat the Oilers tomorrow, Fanboy.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Those motherfuckers can't lose.

And neither can Buffalo, apparently.
You better knock on wood motherfucker. :P
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Archon wrote: Pronger and the Ducks better beat the Oilers tomorrow, Fanboy.
I am in the process of getting tickets, so i'll do my best. Hopefully we got the right balance of rest from the previous game so that we're feeling healthy but not too laid back. Can't wait.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Archon wrote: Pronger and the Ducks better beat the Oilers tomorrow, Fanboy.
I am in the process of getting tickets, so i'll do my best. Hopefully we got the right balance of rest from the previous game so that we're feeling healthy but not too laid back. Can't wait.

Buffalo looks really god damn good. I'd like to see how they handle some tougher teams, but I have this feeling they're just making good teams look terrible and that it wouldn't matter who they play. They have Atlanta on the 28th, which means they'll have to go up against Lehtonen, and that should be a really good measuring stick for em.

Darth Garden Gnome

I hope by now everybody in the hockey world has seen this OMGWTFBBQ by Evgeny Malkin but if not:

Sweet goal.
Darth Garden Gnome

Whoo! Wings beat Sharks in a thriller! Finally had a couple pucks bounce our way, and that's good enough to break the three game losing streak.
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

Excellent. The Ducklings beat the hated Oilers.

If I were a betting man I would put Anaheim down for a cup win. We all saw what Pronger did for the Oilers last season and Scott Niedermayer doesn't hurt either.
In Omnia Paratus.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The Malkin goal was truly excellent but the fact that it was against Brodeur makes my heart happy.

I actually scored a pair of tix to last nights game and it was pretty fuckin' sweet. The Oiler Fans were pretty well quieted once we took the lead early in the second. and when it became 5-2 most of em piled out with the rest leaving after the sixth goal. Needless to say it felt realllllly good to kick them in the teeth.

A group of us Anaheim fans on the Ducks BBS are trying to start an unofficial booster club that would basically just go to games together, wear orange, and possibly consume significant quantities of alcohol. I am throwing in my support to the effort.

muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

The NHL games are just as good as last year and a great improvement over past years, however, the schedule sucks. I'm not a fan of the new "division rivalry" schedule where we play the same teams over & over & over again, this isn't Original 6 days, we have 30 teams now. We barely get to see the west coast teams and even teams such as Pittsburg & Washington are rarely seen around here.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Watching the Sabres vs. Islanders game on MSG.

I have honestly never heard the announcers rip on a team this badly. Just in the third period they mentioned at least 5 times that the Sabres were playing pretty poorly, who are up 3-0 by now.

Also, an Islander got a penalty and an announcer goes "Well he's gonna have 2 minutes to think about it. Maybe less than two minutes."

Ouch... Just, ouch.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Darth Garden Gnome

muse wrote:The NHL games are just as good as last year and a great improvement over past years, however, the schedule sucks. I'm not a fan of the new "division rivalry" schedule where we play the same teams over & over & over again, this isn't Original 6 days, we have 30 teams now. We barely get to see the west coast teams and even teams such as Pittsburgh & Washington are rarely seen around here.
Word. Detroit and Toronto/Montreal/Boston/New York Rangers playing only twice every three years is shit. Same thing with the wunderkids in Pittsburgh and Washington. Lucky Wings, they managed to miss Malkin--guess they'll rekindle their relationship in two years!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

muse wrote:The NHL games are just as good as last year and a great improvement over past years, however, the schedule sucks. I'm not a fan of the new "division rivalry" schedule where we play the same teams over & over & over again, this isn't Original 6 days, we have 30 teams now. We barely get to see the west coast teams and even teams such as Pittsburg & Washington are rarely seen around here.
I prefer the Division Rivalry schedule, as exciting as it is seeing new teams i'd rather have extra games against rivals where you know the game will be hard fought and brutal.

EDIT:

Hey, anyone see the Edmonton/Phoenix game? (Especially Archon!). I can't believe the desert dogs gave the Oil their 2nd straight 6-2 loss.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

I was in a local pub after my soccer game (got a hatty in that). Walked into the place and saw the 6-2 score on the television. Then I smile and continued to the group table. Good night for me.

Question: What do you Central Division watchers think of Nashville?

Suggestion: Rename this thread the something along the lines of 2006-07 NHL Season thread.
In Omnia Paratus.
ImpishAngel
Padawan Learner

Post by ImpishAngel »

Buffalo Sabres Baby...

What more can be said? 10-0,
Game this saturday against the Atlanta Thrashers... In which I am going -grins- *squeeeee*
Go Team! They are alwesome, that's all I got to say...
Darth Garden Gnome

Not that the record set by the '94 Leafs is in jeopardy (the 3 shootout victories assures that this 10 game season starting win streak is a wholly New NHL product), but you can't win 'em all. The guns of the south will overthrow the union boys, 3-2. Hossa, Kovalchuk, and Koz will do the honors of handing them their first loss.

Now that I've made friends with the entire population of Buffalo (that all seem to fucking post on SDN), I'll go ahead and say the Wings use the same work ethic and grit they showed last Wednesday to win a close one with the West dominating Stars.
Archon wrote:Question: What do you Central Division watchers think of Nashville?
Great goaltending, solid D, awesome group of wingers. Major weakness: lack of a first line center.
ImpishAngel
Padawan Learner

Post by ImpishAngel »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Not that the record set by the '94 Leafs is in jeopardy (the 3 shootout victories assures that this 10 game season starting win streak is a wholly New NHL product

Not to mention the shut out and 4 blowouts... :roll:
Carolina 3-2
Montreal 5-4
Ottawa 4-3
Detroit 3-2
NY Rangers 7-4
Philadelphia 9-1
Carolina 5-4
Boston 6-2
Montreal 4-1
NY Islanders 3-0
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Thread title changed to accurately reflect content

DGG isn't trying to diminish the Sabres Impish, but in the old NHL those 3 Shootout Victories would have been ties. As with every sport there are going to be people who set new records and have them called into question thanks to how the rules have changed over the years. Frankly in this case I think it's all semantics, because even if Buffalo hadn't won those games in shootouts they would still be cruising in all of their other games as you said.

Now the best goaltender they've faced is Cam Ward and they managed three of of him, Lehtonen should be a big test for them, if they can handle Atlanta then they should be able to cruise the entire rest of the season.

As for the Central Division. It's going to be tight between Nashville and Detroit, they'll both have their high points playing the other teams in their division but as soon as they travel west to the other two divisions they could be in for some real beatings. I'll take NAshville because if they have a healthy Vokoun they'll have better goaltending than The Red Wings and Dominic Geriatrek.

Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

ImpishAngel wrote:
Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Not that the record set by the '94 Leafs is in jeopardy (the 3 shootout victories assures that this 10 game season starting win streak is a wholly New NHL product

Carolina 3-2
Montreal 5-4
Ottawa 4-3
Detroit 3-2
NY Rangers 7-4
Philadelphia 9-1
Carolina 5-4
Boston 6-2
Montreal 4-1
NY Islanders 3-0
See. That's what worries me. That worries me a lot. The sabres have a history of winning like, 5 in a row and then hitting a huge slump. This is not helped by the fact that the Thrashers are gonna be able to hold their own. Hopefully the Sabres playing a little weak against the Islanders was so that they'll take on the Thrashers at full strength.
ImpishAngel
Padawan Learner

Post by ImpishAngel »

Captain Cyran wrote:
ImpishAngel wrote:

Carolina 3-2
Montreal 5-4
Ottawa 4-3
Detroit 3-2
NY Rangers 7-4
Philadelphia 9-1
Carolina 5-4
Boston 6-2
Montreal 4-1
NY Islanders 3-0
See. That's what worries me. That worries me a lot. The sabres have a history of winning like, 5 in a row and then hitting a huge slump. This is not helped by the fact that the Thrashers are gonna be able to hold their own. Hopefully the Sabres playing a little weak against the Islanders was so that they'll take on the Thrashers at full strength.
As long as we keep up with the quick passes and the mixed up scoring lines we should be fine...
If we repeat what happened with the Islanders the first period though - might as well kiss the game good bye... the Thrashers are going to be all over our asses.
Darth Garden Gnome

Darth Fanboy wrote:DGG isn't trying to diminish the Sabres Impish, but in the old NHL those 3 Shootout Victories would have been ties.
Indeed, I am certainly not. Having watched Buffalo's last playoff run pretty much in its entirety (and having seen them a couple times this year) there's no doubt in my mind that they're the best team in the league and favorites for the Cup.

But the Toronto Maple Leafs record of ten straight wins to start a season stands. The Sabres would be 7-0-3 in their NHL.
Frankly in this case I think it's all semantics, because even if Buffalo hadn't won those games in shootouts they would still be cruising in all of their other games as you said.
I don't think I ever indicated that they wouldn't be doing well without shootouts. But clearly, semantics has nothing to do with it, as I noted above.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote: I don't think I ever indicated that they wouldn't be doing well without shootouts. But clearly, semantics has nothing to do with it, as I noted above.
Poor choice of words on my part. I was just to say something more along the lines of "it doesn't matter, because Buffalo is still kicking many asses."

And the Ducks lose another shootout, this time in Minnesota. But they come back after being down 2-1 going into the 3rd to salvage one point out of it. Couple that with a win by the RED WINGS in Dallas and the Ducks now lead the Pacific Division! Awright! I knew Coach Babcock would figure it out.

Addendum: Another good thing about Buffalo's schedule to make them a strong pick. Their schedule vs. the West is extremely loaded in their favor. Example, home games against Calgary, Edmonton, and Minnesota with road games at St. Louis, Chicago, and Columbus. Sure they do play other games but thars 12 points right there where they should get at least 8 if not 10 points.
Last edited by Darth Fanboy on 2006-10-27 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.