What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

ChrisWWII
Redshirt

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by ChrisWWII »

Just finished reading The Lost omnibus for Gaunt's Ghosts. I think I enjoyed the later books of the series a bit better than the earlier ones....

Looking for new reads right now, hopefully try to get through something before I go to college.
"If everything on Earth were rational, nothing would ever happen."
~Fyodor Dostoevsky

“The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.”
~Thomas Sowell
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Finished Sharpe's Trafalgar. One more, and then I'm into the original novels. I expect a jarring change, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised?
XXXI
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Malleus of the Eisenhorn trilogy
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Just finished Tim Butcher's "Blood River", about attempting to retrace Stanley's route across Africa and take a look about what's happening in the Congo; almost nothing good, for the most part. Very depressing.

In an attempt to cheer myself up, moved on to the no doubt obsolete but at least vaguely optimistic "The Flowering of the Renaissance", Vincent Cronin, and slowly working through that.

The Sharpe series-? Well, there's a bit of a break, but not much of one. More heroic derring do, but at the root the British Army was a pretty shambolic organisation at that time, and Cornwell probably exaggerates the amount of backstabbing and deliberate maltreatment that went on- attributing to malice that which was really the fault of incompetence.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Finished reading Larsson's Millenium Trilogy. "Ludicrous" is a good way to describe the last two books. "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" was actually decent. Not good, but decent.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

So I've sped through the Sharpe books and am on Sharpe's Escape. The recently published books seem to be very easy to find, but I think I'm going to have trouble with a few of the books published in the 80s that are coming up next.
XXXI
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Finished "FTW" by Cory Doctorow which is available for free as a sponsored eBook. Quite good but the end is a little abrupt.

Starting into "The Fuller Memorandum" by Stross.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

New Model Army by Adam Roberts

Some interesting concepts about societies and armies and technologies impact on them.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

weemadando wrote:Finished "FTW" by Cory Doctorow which is available for free as a sponsored eBook. Quite good but the end is a little abrupt...
Have you read Little Brother by Cory Doctorow???
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Not yet. I read a few of his short stories, but read the promo for Little Brother at the end of the eBook and was intrigued.

After "The Fuller Memorandum" I've got the remainder of Maneuver Warfare: An Anthology and a massive pile of other Mil Hist/Bio to read.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo. I like Dumas. He manages, despite going into great detail about even the most trivial seeming aspects, to keep things running at a fast pace, and creates some great characters.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Started reading Accelerando by Charles Stross a while ago.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Funny enough, having just read Be Expert with Map and Compass, I'm now reading a book on the history of the development of the compass.
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
IvanTih
Padawan Learner

Post by IvanTih »

D&D Deities and Demigods,2002 edition.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

As I Please, Collected Essays by George Orwell.

By the gods, that man could write.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Finished up "The Fuller Memorandum", it was another good book in the Laundry Files, but was certainly not up to the level of Jennifer Morgue.

I've moved onto "The Arcanum" which seems to be a form of literary form of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Sort of. More as I keep reading.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Vampire Hunter D: Pale Fallen Angel Pt 4. After that, going to read some Dresden or Discworld.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Finished "A Wizard of Mars", moving on to the first Spice and Wolf novel. After that I've got a Solomon Kane anthology.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I'm getting into "The Arcanum" a bit more and though I'm not sure where it's going plotwise, in terms of events so far it is going awesome.

For example:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle just recruited Houdini to break Lovecraft out of an asylum where he was being held as a suspect for some serial killings.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

I finished reading "The Evolutionary Void" by Hamilton, a somehow fitting end for the Void Trilogy.

Now, I am reading "The Black Swan", so far an interesting read.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Started on the Ravenor omnibus after Eisonhorn got me hooked on the WH40K universe. Eisenhorn was excellent, although the last 2 stories felt rather short.
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Knocked off Horse Under Water, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Spy (both by Len Deighton) and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre in the last week. I'd read them all before but years ago; it was good to revisit. I'd been trying to get into A Perfect Spy by Le Carre for a while and just haven't been able to...I suspect that outside of the Smiley books Le Carre doesn't really tickle my fancy. Am tossing up between rereading Neuromancer or Night Soldiers by Alan Furst now...or possibly splashing out, my housemate has been raving about Christos Tsiolkas for ages.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

I've started reading Ingenieurmechanik 1, progress is pretty slow; I haven't read German for a few months, the print is small and it's info dense.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

A Brief History of Time by We-All-Know-Who. Never got around to reading it before. So far I'm halfway through and haven't hit anything that I have not absorbed from other layman-grade texts on the subject. But it's still a fun read.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I have Little Drummer Girl by Le Carre, and I've never been able to finish it. I think I read one of the smiley books in high school, but it's hard to get into. Maybe I should try again?
XXXI