Post by andrewgpaul »

That wasn't Michael Buerk.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

That was John Humphreys, I liked the unPC parts, "last one to cross the line is a vegetarian" and the BBC meeting to reduce the carbon emissions for ethnically diverse single mothers was awesome.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

By now there's just fishing for complaint letters.

That pan over the panel was one of the best shots of Top Gear ever.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Sea Skimmer wrote:First of all the damn car has never driven 273mph, that is a purely theoretical top speed based on wind tunnel tests, in fact on paper the newest version can go even faster then that but that doesn’t matter one bit. The cars speed record meanwhile is 254.88mph, about 2mph faster then the Veyron.
The Veyron has already been tuned up to 1200hp, more than the SSC, and there are rumours that there could be a production run of this type. It would almost certainly go faster if it was regeared and the limiter disabled, but the limiter is there to stop the engine life from being trashed by careless drivers overreving it.
The Aero gets its power simply by supercharging the hell (26psi boost pressure!) out of a corvette engine, which will have a lifespan of jack and shit and require very extensive maintenance if not outright replacement after going 250mph plus. It’s purely a race car for dry surfaces and I am 100% unimpressed with it.
Agree; unlike the Shelby, Volkswagen can probably do this without reducing the engine life to hours (the major problem with the Vector W8, an 80s American supercar attempt which the Ultimate Aero looks like a newer, uglier version of).
First of all the damn car has never driven 273mph, that is a purely theoretical top speed based on wind tunnel tests, in fact on paper the newest version can go even faster then that but that doesn’t matter one bit. The cars speed record meanwhile is 254.88mph, about 2mph faster then the Veyron.
Of course they've been saying that that's because they haven't had access to a proper test track, and that their competitors have ideal conditions while they have to make do with closing long straight highways to the public, and that it's so unfair. That sounds pretty damn whiny for a supposedly prestigious supercar maker.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

I loved tonight's episode. I don't really watch TG too much anymore, but this one was fucking brilliant for the whole hour. Brilliant.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Kickass episode all around the next one sounds hardcore though :D.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Tonight, on Top Gear
TG site wrote:In stark contrast to that, but in no way any less epic - in fact, considerably more epic - this Sunday's show sees our intrepid adventurers in a Top Gear special, as they drive across the spine of Africa.

In very unsuitable vehicles.

Jeremy and James take an old Lancia and Merc respectively, and Richard goes in his trusted friend Oliver, a 1964 Opel Kadett.

It's all typically Top Gear, and will also show that by driving three, ordinary two-wheel-drive cars across Botswana, you don't need a 4x4 to do the school run in.

So that's the Botswana Top Gear special, Sunday November 4t at 8pm on BBC Two.
And they're already accused of breaking Africa:
The BBC's motoring programme Top Gear has been accused of causing damage to a pristine wilderness in Botswana.

Conservationists have accused the show, hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, of leaving scars across the Makgadikgadi salt pans by driving vehicles across them.

They have said the tracks caused by the cars could remain for decades.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "We employed several environmental experts who advised us on where we could and couldn't go."

Bad example

She added the BBC had "ensured that we never went near any conservation areas".

Mary Rice of the Environmental Investigation Agency, which carries out conservation work in Botswana, said the BBC's example could lead hordes of "boy racers" to follow suit.

Guide David Dugmore was quoted in the Observer newspaper: "The thing that worries me is the viewers and public that are going to go out to the lakes, and we will end up with every Tom, Dick and Harry that comes up, with vehicles and quad bikes, which will absolutely spoil the place."

Top Gear, which has a large audience in southern Africa, is often controversial because of what critics describe as its addiction to speed and risk.

Last year, co-host Richard Hammond was seriously injured after he crashed while driving a jet-powered car at speeds up to 300mph at Elvington airfield, near York, last September.

In 2004, the programme took a 4x4 vehicle up Ben Tongue mountain in Scotland, reportedly churning up heather and sensitive peat on the way, and causing substantial ecological damage. The programme denied the allegations.
Last edited by Bounty on 2007-11-18 10:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Oh no! Not tire tracks across a salt pan! The horror!

I know I'll be watching :D.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Ah, the one and only decent programme on a sunday.....

Is this going to be similar to the US one where its entirely dedicated to the trip? Or is it like the normal challenges?

Can't wait, either way :D
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Dartzap wrote:Ah, the one and only decent programme on a sunday.....

Is this going to be similar to the US one where its entirely dedicated to the trip? Or is it like the normal challenges?

It's a full-hour special, no other items.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Bounty wrote:
Dartzap wrote:Ah, the one and only decent programme on a sunday.....

It's a full-hour special, no other items.
Excellent

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Guide David Dugmore was quoted in the Observer newspaper: "The thing that worries me is the viewers and public that are going to go out to the lakes, and we will end up with every Tom, Dick and Harry that comes up, with vehicles and quad bikes, which will absolutely spoil the place."
Yes of course. I forgot about all the boy racers who decided to drive across the North Pole, or race a train to Monte Carlo, or a boat to Norway or any of the other insane stuff they've done. TV doesn't have THAT much of an influence.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Typically these challenges tend to involve lots of blood, sweat and tears, like having to hack a way through polar ice in -40 degrees, or ending up completely seasick on a broken boat somewhere off the coast of Norway. I seriously doubt racing a second-hand car across Botswana is going to be such a cakewalk that everyone and their dog will attempt to try it.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I seriously doubt racing a second-hand car across Botswana is going to be such a cakewalk that everyone and their dog will attempt to try it.
A fils à papa with a Range Rover and too much time on his hands might give it a try, though.

I can sort of see the point of someone who's trying to preserve the flats for whatever reason; he'd be upset that a beautiful and unknown site all of a sudden becomes public. If the TG team didn't violate a conservation area I doubt he can complain officially, but he's not talking out of his ass.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

T-minus 2 minutes, gentlemen.

The singing bit at the end of Bremner, Bird and Fortune was dedicated to Jezza today, hah

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

"We're travelling with Bill Oddie" :o

I fear what's coming next. Those cars a death traps on paved roads...
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

I'm guessing the Africans would be more impressed with the travelling petrol station following.

Oh, and here comes the death trap salt flats which got them in trouble
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Im waiting for them to destroy Hammonds Car in revenge for his smugness.

Ivanova is always right.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Well, they're retards for stripping the cars, but damn if those locals aren't mechanical wizards.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

That musical torment was brilliant

Ivanova is always right.

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Hey, the silly credits are back.

ETA: on the whole, it wasn't all that great save for a few bits; the Pole was better. An hour of "Ho ho, it broke again" isn't really that entertaining, to be honest.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I honestly think that the Pole and American challenges were better. This lacked the competitiveness of the Pole or the nifty sub-challenges of the Florida Louisiana race.

But it was still epic and full of the normal jackassery (the whole thing with the meat had me laughing), poor decisions and funny moments so I can't complain :mrgreen:.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I loved the Opel! I drive one myself, not that exact model but it's an Opel!
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Tonight, on Top Gear
The Top Gear boys have safely returned to the studio from last week's African adventure, although Richard is still reminiscing about his holiday romance with his beloved Oliver.

So expect abuse on this week's show from Jeremy and James, this Sunday on BBC Two at 8pm.

In the news this week, they actually manage to find time to talk about cars; including the Mazda 6, Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS, Subaru Impreza WRX Sti and Mitsubishi's I.

James also tells us why dogs should drive.

X Factor's Mr Nasty, Simon Cowell, is the star in the reasonably priced car, and after Richard got whupped by a Eurofighter a couple of shows back, this week he's at it again.

Only this time, he's driving an Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster against a man on some roller skates. With a jet pack strapped to him (no, not Richard).

The Caparo T1 has got itself a bit of a reputation lately with, amongst other things, catching fire and scorching Jason Plato, so the sensible thing would be to leave well alone. Jeremy goes the other way obviously, and attempts to tame the 575bhp beast before handing it over to the Stig for a hot lap.

This week also sees the return of another Top Gear epic, only it's a bit closer to home, with the boys finding the fastest way to get across London.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

I would've sworn Cowell did the "reasonably priced car" bit sometime last season...