2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Elfdart »

Chardok wrote:
Dark Flame wrote:Fuck. And Cleveland is now the home of the so-called MAN-GENIUS! Pfft, more like a mangina. I'm not excited at all, we're gonna suck for another 4 years until we get a new coach that's actually worth a damn. :finger:

You guys have been hurting since Boomer left....
Boomer played for the Bengals. :lol:
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Chardok wrote:How does one throw 5 INTs in one game, I mean, REALLY. You really have to TRY to fail that hard.
Not really. The Ravens' defense is just that good. You have the two best defensive players in the league (by a HUGE margin) and they both play for Baltimore. Reed is the best safety I've ever seen. That one pick where he didn't even bother with his man and just raced to the spot Pennington was throwing to before he threw the ball was unreal.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Dark Flame wrote:Fuck. And Cleveland is now the home of the so-called MAN-GENIUS! Pfft, more like a mangina. I'm not excited at all, we're gonna suck for another 4 years until we get a new coach that's actually worth a damn. :finger:
If you don't want him I'd be glad to take him back on behalf of all the sane Jets fans here....
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Elfdart wrote:
Chardok wrote:

Maybe he was thinking of Bernie as in Bernie Kosar.

Although, that was technically the previous Browns team. :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Tsyroc wrote:
Elfdart wrote:
Chardok wrote: Boomer played for the Bengals. :lol:
Maybe he was thinking of Bernie as in Bernie Kosar.

Although, that was technically the previous Browns team. :D

The current Browns team IS the old browns team. The city got to keep all the franchise legacies, names, paraphanalia, etc. Technically when Modell moved to Baltimore they were a brand new franchise and the Browns continued to reside in Clevland, they just didn't play any games until they put the new team together.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Elfdart wrote:
Chardok wrote:

Actually, I think Chards is mistaking DF for a Jets fan, and is thinking that his post is meant to show he is mad at the Browns for stealing his coach. And because of that, his comment is in regards to the Jets and not the Browns.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

Oh, I get it now! I've been racking my brain trying to figure this one out... Duh!

In my opinion, the Jets should have kept Mangini, and it's their loss. As I read more on ESPN, I'm starting to like this choice a little more. At least he has a proven track record that's better than what we've had.

Hopefully a playoff run is in our near future. *crosses fingers*

Edit: And just to clarify, I am indeed a Browns fan. Maybe I should bring back that old Braylon av I had for a little while, but that must have been a long time ago. The picture shows him catching a ball.

:lol:
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"
- Alyrium Denryle, on HAB's policy of "Too much is almost enough"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dark Flame wrote:The picture shows him catching a ball.
PHOTOSHOP!!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

CmdrWilkens wrote: The current Browns team IS the old browns team. The city got to keep all the franchise legacies, names, paraphanalia, etc. Technically when Modell moved to Baltimore they were a brand new franchise and the Browns continued to reside in Clevland, they just didn't play any games until they put the new team together.

I know that's what Browns fans like to tell themselves. :D

I knew about them keeping all the stuff but I can't pass up a chance to raz Browns fans. On that note I am obligated to mention John Elway, "The Drive", and Ernest Byner. You already mentioned Art Modell and Baltimore. How many years after moving from Cleveland did the Ravens win the Super Bowl? :twisted:

Truthfully, that was the most fucked up move that I can remember in professional sports. The team definitely had a rabid (pun intended) fanbase and it wasn't liked they'd completely sucked ass in the years before they moved like the Colts did. At least they got to keep all the stuff you mentioned but it still trumps any gut wrenching move that I can think of. Way more than Seattle losing the Super Sonics IMO. Maybe some of the hockey teams leaving northern cities for the southern US might qualify but I don't follow hockey enough to know how much of a kick in the balls those moves were.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I don't know that a professional franchise has left Philadelphia since the Athletics, and I'd imagine that's partly out of fear of what Philadelphians would do to the moving vans as they left.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

No - No. I was definitely suffering from sleep deprivation and read Cleaveland as Cincinatti. So it really IS as simple as it looks. *THUD*

ZZzzzZzzZZZzzzz....
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Qwerty 42 wrote:I don't know that a professional franchise has left Philadelphia since the Athletics, and I'd imagine that's partly out of fear of what Philadelphians would do to the moving vans as they left.
The Athletics left for Kansas City in 1955. The Philadelphia Warriors went to San Francisco in 1962. In 1979, the Philadelphia Firebirds (AHL) moved to Syracuse. The Philadelphia Stars (USFL) moved to Baltimore in 1985. As far as I can tell, the Stars are the last team to leave Philadelphia and move elsewhere (as opposed to folding).
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

At least nobody's mentioned Red Right 88 yet... :(

And my picks:
Baltimore at Tennessee- The only away team, I think they're just that good.
San Diego at Pittsburgh-Home field wins, but it'll be a defensive battle.
Philadelphia at New York Giants-Home field is the deciding factor, both good teams.
Arizona at Carolina- Carolina's at home, and just too big and physical
"Have you ever been fucked in the ass? because if you have you will understand why we have that philosophy"

"The jacketed ones are, but we're talking carefully-placed shits here. "-out of context, by Stuart
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Baltimore cannot disguise their pass-rushing blitzes. Well, they got a free man once or twice but the vast majority of blitzes result in Kerry having all-day to throw and hitting an open receiver on man-coverage.
Tennessee will have close to 300 yards of offense in the 1st half but thanks to a turnover (and on one downs when they were too far to kick a FG but too short for a punt) it's only 7 to 7, although we're within the 2 minutes warning and Tennessee's making one last grasp at a score.

edit: thanks to 2 TURNOVERS, it will remain 7-7. Baltimore forced a fumble in their own red zone.

Note: Baltimore's gotten burned on the run too, although their blitz's against the run have had much greater success -- it seems maybe 2 out of 5 run plays had Baltimore defenders penetrating and blowing up a play or containing it. Tennessee's offensive line though, on balance, is dominating and the reason for Tennessee's offensive production. On Chris Johnson's 32 yard scamper every Ravens defender on the line was handled and there was a huge hole -- Ed Reed staying at home 20 yards back stopped it from going further.

The Ravens only score came on a bomb down the right sideline, Flacco to Mason. Actually looking at the stats, Mason is the only Raven to catch a ball! The Ravens offense isn't exactly shining but half of that is playcalling -- 14 runs to 8 passes, and only 3 completions. The Ravens are playing not-to-lose but only getting away with it cause of turnovers. They either open up the pass or their defense / special teams come up with points, but Tennessee's consistently getting long drives. Turnovers only are the difference maker.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

SPC Brungardt wrote:Baltimore cannot disguise their pass-rushing blitzes. Well, they got a free man once or twice but the vast majority of blitzes result in Kerry having all-day to throw and hitting an open receiver on man-coverage.
Tennessee will have close to 300 yards of offense in the 1st half but thanks to a turnover (and on one downs when they were too far to kick a FG but too short for a punt) it's only 7 to 7, although we're within the 2 minutes warning and Tennessee's making one last grasp at a score.

edit: thanks to 2 TURNOVERS, it will remain 7-7. Baltimore forced a fumble in their own red zone.

Note: Baltimore's gotten burned on the run too, although their blitz's against the run have had much greater success -- it seems maybe 2 out of 5 run plays had Baltimore defenders penetrating and blowing up a play or containing it. Tennessee's offensive line though, on balance, is dominating and the reason for Tennessee's offensive production. On Chris Johnson's 32 yard scamper every Ravens defender on the line was handled and there was a huge hole -- Ed Reed staying at home 20 yards back stopped it from going further.

The Ravens only score came on a bomb down the right sideline, Flacco to Mason. Actually looking at the stats, Mason is the only Raven to catch a ball! The Ravens offense isn't exactly shining but half of that is playcalling -- 14 runs to 8 passes, and only 3 completions. The Ravens are playing not-to-lose but only getting away with it cause of turnovers. They either open up the pass or their defense / special teams come up with points, but Tennessee's consistently getting long drives. Turnovers only are the difference maker.
C'mon Ravens... Pull it together - I'm pissed that we're not getting this game live in AU, but instead the fucking Cardinals later today.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

weemadando wrote:
SPC Brungardt wrote:Baltimore cannot disguise their pass-rushing blitzes. Well, they got a free man once or twice but the vast majority of blitzes result in Kerry having all-day to throw and hitting an open receiver on man-coverage.

C'mon Ravens... Pull it together - I'm pissed that we're not getting this game live in AU, but instead the fucking Cardinals later today.
Some good news then: Chris Johnson (who also took a swing pass for 28 yards) is on the bench with a cast on his right ankle. I was at Burger King when it happened but he doesn't look like he's coming back. Tennessee LOOKS on offense without him. Also: Tennessee missed a field goal -- it's still 7-7 nearing the 4th quarter.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

There is a TON of injuries in this game.

Ravens right tackle went out earlier. (dunno if he returned) Suggs went out and hasn't come back. Johnson's gone. Albert Haynesworth went down nicked up but got right up (and is back). Javon Kearse went down too and came up limping / hopping. Now the Ravens running back McClain limped off.

And they have one more quarter to kill each other. Ravens at the goal-line (if it's a TD, this could be the game-winning score) but with 7 to go thanks to a bad run which Tennessee blew up.

edit: another Tennessee red-zone turnover. (another fumble) Hats off to Baltimore's ball-hawking so far.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ravens? Game? Yes? C'mon NFL play-by-play! SHOW ME WHAT'S HAPPENING!
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

The AFC #1 seed does NOT advance to the conference championship.
Winner of tomorrows game will host the Ravens.

edit: I'm 1 for 1! Or, to be more holistic 3 for 5. (I don't do regular season picks cause I don't know enough about every damn team)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

SPC Brungardt wrote:The AFC #1 seed does NOT advance to the conference championship.
Winner of tomorrows game will host the Ravens.

edit: I'm 1 for 1! Or, to be more holistic 3 for 5. (I don't do regular season picks cause I don't know enough about every damn team)

Fucking hell, those had better not be serious injuries...
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

McClain, not even the Ravens starting RB (or at least their best) did come back. I don't know about Suggs or whats-his-nuts the RT.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

So yeah, why did Arizona even show up? 7 to 0 and the Carolina running game is on-track from the 1st quarter.

More to the point, Fitzgerald got a huge catch and run on broken coverage. Subsequently in their field-goal range drive, Arizona got sacked on a 4-man rush and Julius Peppers chekced his bull rush and stuffed a screen play. With 4th and 23, they punted.

Why'd they show up?

edit: I'm choking on my words already. Great fumble Delhomme. :roll:
edit2: don't save me, I'm better off without the Heimlich Maneuver.
What a LOLercaust. 27-7 and there's still 3:32 left in the 1st half!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Qwerty 42 wrote:I don't know that a professional franchise has left Philadelphia since the Athletics, and I'd imagine that's partly out of fear of what Philadelphians would do to the moving vans as they left.
Leonard Tose was a hair's breadth from moving the Eagles to Phoenix to pay off his gambling debts when the city agreed to give him a sweetheart lease at the Vet and to construct luxury boxes. Can you imagine the reaction if he had done that? They would have desecrated his grave by now.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

SPC Brungardt wrote:So yeah, why did Arizona even show up? 7 to 0 and the Carolina running game is on-track from the 1st quarter.

More to the point, Fitzgerald got a huge catch and run on broken coverage. Subsequently in their field-goal range drive, Arizona got sacked on a 4-man rush and Julius Peppers chekced his bull rush and stuffed a screen play. With 4th and 23, they punted.

Why'd they show up?

edit: I'm choking on my words already. Great fumble Delhomme. :roll:
edit2: don't save me, I'm better off without the Heimlich Maneuver.
What a LOLercaust. 27-7 and there's still 3:32 left in the 1st half!
Unless Jake Delhomme turns into Frank Reich (Peace be Upon Him), I'm going 2/2 today.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Dark Flame
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Flame »

So far in the 2nd half Carolina's defense is looking much better.

As I typed that, DeAngelo Williams hit a 12 yard run. Their offense might be getting back to the run, which is good for them.