2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Medic
Sith Devotee

Re: 2008 NFL Season Thread- The Road to Super Bowl XLIII

Post by Medic »

Might as well call this one with 10:47 left. Delhomme threw his 5th interception. Carolina (in fact I think Delhomme) also has a fumble so make that 6 turnovers.
This is as bad as his last playoff game (IIRC) when Carolina got trounced by Seattle in that team's Super Bowl run. It's Delhomme's birthday btw.

At least then their running game wasn't quite what it is now and they didn't have Mohammed at the time, who was a Bear. Now they are supposedly more than just Steve Smith but he still stares down receivers like Medusa and gets picked for it. :roll:

I'm 1 for 2 today, and still swinging .500 on balance, 3 for 6 this post-season. :)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

SPC Brungardt wrote:So yeah, why did Arizona even show up? 7 to 0 and the Carolina running game is on-track from the 1st quarter.
To kick some ass apparently. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina is shopping for a QB in the offseason. This loss is a franchise killer, like the Raiders SB loss was. And seriously, fuck Carolina. They were SB favorites two years running and sucked balls, then no one picks them and they have a great season, RIIIIIGHT up until they are the SB favorite again and get the Arizona "CAN'T WIN ON THE ROAD" Cardinals AT HOME... and lose. :roll:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

[EDIT: damned typo.]
havokeff wrote:
SPC Brungardt wrote:So yeah, why did Arizona even show up? 7 to 0 and the Carolina running game is on-track from the 1st quarter.
To kick some ass apparently. :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina is shopping for a QB in the offseason. This loss is a franchise killer, like the Raiders SB loss was. And seriously, fuck Carolina.
Easy now, Gabe: That's my team (and hometown) we're talking about, much as I'm angry with the former right now :cry: And as much as I'd like to hold the Panthers accountable, the "buzz" about them was generated by the sound bite-driven media. If the team had made a bunch of noise, that'd be one thing; but since they didn't, I can't blast 'em for not pleasing the odds-makers.

Still, you hit the nail on the head. This kind of loss is a franchise-killer. Delhomme was terrible. He -- and the rest of the offense, for that matter -- always look rusty after a bye week, but God Almighty: there's rusty and there's just plain fucking awful. 6 turn-overs?

I thought the coaching was at least as bad. Fox didn't make any tangible adjustments at any point during the game. With Boldin out, Fox didn't have the defense double-team Fitzgerald ... err, why, again? :roll: It seems like an elementary tactic to me, 'specially seeing as how Fitzgerald had six catches and 151 fucking yards in the first half!

But what do I know? I'm not paid the John Fox bucks to stand on the sidelines and clap at endless shit plays like some goofy old pussy :banghead:
Last edited by seanrobertson on 2009-01-12 08:24am, edited 1 time in total.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Philadelphia wins an ugly game over New York 23-11.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Qwerty 42 wrote:Philadelphia wins an ugly game over New York 23-11.
Especially ugly for Captain Manning.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

I did not pick ONE NFC game correctly yet.

OTOH, I have picked every AFC game. :)

PROTIP: take who I don't in the NFC and you'll be right. I've picked running / defense over everything so far so I'm going for... The Eagles! Sorry if I curse you Philly. :) If the Steelers actually win my pick throughout the playoffs (San Diego of course) will amend to the Ravens, to include Lombardi's silver. Fuck the terrible towels. :finger:
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

havokeff wrote:Well my Indy/Carolina Super Bowl prediction is shot, so I will amend to Baltimore/Carolina.

This weekend; Baltimore, San Diego, Carolina, Philadelphia.

Next weekend, obviously, Baltimore, Carolina.

Super Bowl; Baltimore.
*AHEM*
Well I'm just going to go RIGHT FUCKING out there and say Baltimore/Arizona. Why the fuck not? Arizona is great at home and they are actually playing a little bit of defense. Yeah sure. Why the fuck not. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

OK. The Chargers need to knock the fancy running plays off and just pound it up the middle.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

havokeff wrote:OK. The Chargers need to knock the fancy running plays off and just pound it up the middle.
With the personnel we have, I'd rather stick to the draws, screens and long-shots. Those deep passes open up Antonio Gates and the passing will open up at least one, nasty draw play this game. Pittsburgh's snuffed 'em out so far but they're due to be burned, and Sproles doesn't need a hole to stay open long.

edit: Auspicious start to the game but it didn't last. We quickly gave up a punt return TD to see it 7-7 for most of the 1st half, but then gave up a 2 minute (actually less) drive for another 7 point score. Down 14-10 after the 1st half.

Expect the CBS crew to put up the stat: zomg, Steelers win 2 bajillion-zillion games after leading at halftime, to a handful of losses. :roll: I predict they'll put that up by the 7:30 minute mark in the 3rd quarter.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

havokeff wrote: *AHEM*
Well I'm just going to go RIGHT FUCKING out there and say Baltimore/Arizona. Why the fuck not? Arizona is great at home and they are actually playing a little bit of defense. Yeah sure. Why the fuck not. :lol:
You really think the Cardinals are going to roll over the Eagles? Oh boy, they beat a rookie QB and took advantage of Jake Delhomme having an insanely bad day. Meanwhile they're running up against a defense which is arguably the best of the remaining teams (no small compliment) and not a shoddy offense either.

Come on Hav, you're smarter than this.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yup. Three NFC Championship chokes and a Super Bowl choke. Yup. I'm saying Arizona.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

havokeff wrote:Yup. Three NFC Championship chokes and a Super Bowl choke. Yup. I'm saying Arizona.
Can't fault that logic.

Great. San Diego's basically losing the game in the 3rd quarter. Gave up a 7 and a half minute scoring drive. Got a huge kick return only to have the ball batted up in the air at the line of scrimmage. We have that one offensive play this quarter. Then a punt by Pitt hit Eric Weddle in the helmet, Steelers ball.

edit: That's hilarious. We ran a single play (an interception tipped at the line of scrimmage) in the 3rd quarter to Pittsburg's 24 or so. We're in mid-season defensive form: cannot get off the field to save our lives.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

havokeff wrote:THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!
? You picked Pittsburgh, didn't you? :? They've executed a ball-possession attack against us well but provided they win there's a slim-chance in a cold-hell they'll have the sort've luck they had this game against Baltimore. A lost quarter? Fuck no, that doesn't just happen.

edit: 27-10 @ 12 minutes, barring bullshit of a different order, this game's over.

We missed Merrimam more this game than most. Rothlisberger converted tons of 3rd downs through the air in the game-winning 3rd quarter drives. Also, even with Jamal Williams, we're vulnerable down the middle against power-running teams. Both of these failings have dogged our defense all year long and they were highlighted prominently tonight. It's about 6 Chargers offensive plays to I think I heard 44 by Pittsburgh this half so far. That defense just can't get pressure when it counts or stand up against the run consistently enough.
Last edited by Medic on 2009-01-11 07:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

havokeff wrote:Yup. Three NFC Championship chokes and a Super Bowl choke. Yup. I'm saying Arizona.
You're really drinking the kool aid if you think it's the same team. :roll:

Remember Thanksgiving? What the fuck happened there?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

SPC Brungardt wrote:
? You picked Pittsburgh, didn't you? :? They've executed a ball-possession attack against us well but provided they win there's a slim-chance in a cold-hell they'll have the sort've luck they had this game against Baltimore. A lost quarter? Fuck no, that doesn't just happen.
No. I picked San Diego. I FUCKING HATE THE STEELERS!!!!! And while I don't wish death upon them, I wouldn't mind if Russia accidentally nuked the city during an all expenses paid world wide Steelers fan day, with all ex and current players in attendance.

The bullshit I am talking about is the shit luck and calls that are going against the Chargers. The muffed punt, the batted interception, which I clearly saw hit the ground. The sack where Rivers was SLAMMED to the ground that wasn't called. That BULLSHIT pass interference call in the endzone.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

havokeff wrote:
SPC Brungardt wrote:
No. I picked San Diego. I FUCKING HATE THE STEELERS!!!!! And while I don't wish death upon them, I wouldn't mind if Russia accidentally nuked the city during an all expenses paid world wide Steelers fan day, with all ex and current players in attendance.

The bullshit I am talking about is the shit luck and calls that are going against the Chargers. The muffed punt, the batted interception, which I clearly saw hit the ground. The sack where Rivers was SLAMMED to the ground that wasn't called. That BULLSHIT pass interference call in the endzone.
You forgot some pretty blatant no-call holding on Pitt runs. A Parker toss left tackle was particularly blatant -- the left tackle was BEHIND THE RIGHT DEFENSIVE END impeding his movement.

We have a pulse though. 17-28 with 9 minutes left. We need a 3 and out more than ever but I'll believe that when I see it. But yeah, they have some bullshitassluck this game. That WILL NOT continue, it's beyond probability.

edit: I still hate the Patriots more... but I really hate the fucking Steelers, too. I can't believe I was on their side against Seattle in the Super Bowl. Well that's right, the Seahawks kicked out my NFC team, the Panthers, so I had to. At least we know that Super Bowl was bullshitass non-calls too with an especially egregious phantom rushing touchdown by Bettis.

edit: Holy shit, I just saw how the Steelers beat the Ravens in those teams' 2nd meeting in the regular season. ANOTHER phantom touchdown! Do Steelers fans actually feel good about how good their team is? Their luck is peerless.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That NOS Guy wrote:
Same QB. Same running back. Mostly same offensive line. Still nobody wide recievers, and if you say Desean Jackson, I will say T.O., and they choked in the SB with him. Same Head coach. Same offensive system.

Same Defensive leader in FS Dawkins. Same Defensive coordinator. Same defensive scheme. I will give you that the rest of the difference has changed for the most part, but to say this is a different Team is fucking ridiculous.

If someone is drinking the Kool-Aide, which apparently is bandwagon flavored, it certainly isn't me.
So you are saying that I can't say a team is the same as they used to be in citing their loses in big games so I think they will lose again in a big game, and you respond with... This team already beat a team so they will win again? Nice, retard. :roll:

But lets play this game any way...

To answer your question, The Cardinals lost.

Allow me to retort.
Baltimore lost to Tennessee in the regular season.
Arizona lost to Carolina in the regular season.
Philadelphia lost to New York in the regular season.
San Diego lost to Indianapolis in the regular season.

Oops there goes your point.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

SPC Brungardt wrote:edit: Holy shit, I just saw how the Steelers beat the Ravens in those teams' 2nd meeting in the regular season. ANOTHER phantom touchdown! Do Steelers fans actually feel good about how good their team is? Their luck is peerless.
Their entire history is riddled with bullshit like that. It is part of the reason I hate them so.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Pittsburgh
Philadelphia

SB: Pittsburgh.
Many thanks! These darned computers always screw me up. I calculated my first death-toll using a hand-cranked adding machine (we actually calculated the average mortality in each city block individually). Ah, those were the days.
-Stuart
"Mix'em up. I'm tired of States' Rights."
-Gen. George Thomas, Union Army of the Cumberland
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The zebras always side with the Steelers. The Ravens will have to kick the shit out of them to have a chance.

Memo to A.J. Smith:

Your team has gaping holes in the defensive line. The Steelers announced before the game that they were going to run it down the Chargers' throat -and did so. The only contact your defensive linemen made with the Steelers' quarterback was when he knocked your defensive end to the ground. You are WAY under the salary cap, so DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Elfdart wrote:The zebras always side with the Steelers. The Ravens will have to kick the shit out of them to have a chance.

Memo to A.J. Smith:

Your team has gaping holes in the defensive line. The Steelers announced before the game that they were going to run it down the Chargers' throat -and did so. The only contact your defensive linemen made with the Steelers' quarterback was when he knocked your defensive end to the ground. You are WAY under the salary cap, so DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
We have a lot of people coming up for contract unfortunately.

But yeah, Jamal Williams is only one guy and those ends rarely shoot gaps it seems. Better inside linebackers would help -- I really miss Donnie Edwards ranging sideline-to-sideline, shooting gaps and snatching balls. He was small but with inside linebackers of his caliber, we had a much better run defense. Cooper's a big, wide body for a linebacker but tends to stay-at-home and get picked up by blockers. Last year's defensive meltdown against the Pats big-3 tight end formations really exposed our inside linebackers.

Oh, and avatar change.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

That NOS Guy wrote:

You mean when Arizona had a short week, flew to the east coast and then lost? Lets see, Arizona has:

1) The longer week
2) Homefield advantage
3) No need to fly
4) All their players should be healthy by then

So yeah I'm going with Cardinals over Eagles.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Falkenhayn wrote:Ah what the hell, I'll try this picks thing.

Baltimore: Titans are the better team, I think, but it will be a cold day in hell before I forgive them for Music City.
Arizona
Philly
Pittsburgh
4-0 this week for Falkenhayn, congrats.

I dropped below .500. :( 1 for 4 this week and 3 for 8.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

SPC Brungardt wrote:We have a lot of people coming up for contract unfortunately.

But yeah, Jamal Williams is only one guy and those ends rarely shoot gaps it seems. Better inside linebackers would help -- I really miss Donnie Edwards ranging sideline-to-sideline, shooting gaps and snatching balls. He was small but with inside linebackers of his caliber, we had a much better run defense. Cooper's a big, wide body for a linebacker but tends to stay-at-home and get picked up by blockers. Last year's defensive meltdown against the Pats big-3 tight end formations really exposed our inside linebackers.

Oh, and avatar change.
They blew a second-rounder on Jacob Hester, a backup fullback, but dumped Lorenzo Neal, who is playing in the championship game next week. They have seven picks in the upcoming draft and they should all be used on defensive linemen. Safety and ILB should be done via free agency.