What are you reading right now?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Majin Gojira »

I finally got a new copy of Raptor Red for my birthday after losing my original copy (with a kid-appealing hologram cover) back in 1997 or so. I'm just so happy to have it back. It's like Tarzan of the Apes. No matter how many times I read it, I still enjoy the hell out of it.

I'm also reading a few Manga series. Currently, the only big ones are Mahou Sensei Negima and Claymore.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The Last Wish is really entertaining to read. I'm about halfway through it.

EDIT: Finished it. Good stuff.

I'm now on to reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, a book that I've heard great things about.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

my meds are arriving!!!!

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

I just finished The Boer War by Thomas Pankenham and Means Without End by Giorgio Agamben and found them both to be quite interesting and stimulating. I'd definitely recommend anyone who has the chance should read them.

Up now is Judith Butler's Frames of War, and I am, as always, astounded that such a brilliant person is such a god awful writer.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:my meds are arriving!!!!
Will they help you post in the right thread?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

arrrgh wrong thread, oh well the same set of packages included some 2000ad Graphic Novels. I got some Nicholai Dante, and some Slain'e (just discovered that GW is publishing 2000ad comics GN and novelizations)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human by Michael Chorost.

Basically, guy who's been hard of hearing all his life goes completely deaf, gets cochlear implant. Some of it is funny (describing what sex sounds like to him, in between the headpiece and and processor falling off, rolling around the floor, getting mixed up with clothing and/or bed sheets, and so on) and some of it sad (after he goes completely deaf he gets auditory hallucinations, phamtom hearing somewhat like an amputee feels a phantom limb) but interesting to me in that it not only talks about the advantages of the technology but also the limitations and drawbacks as well as some history behind the implants. Not to mention the weirdness of shopping for a new ear and getting a bodypart periodically upgraded as the technology advances.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Currently I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings plus a chapter or two of Watchmen before bed every night.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Jerry Pournelle's "Falkenberg's Legion".
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Rayo Azul
Padawan Learner

Post by Rayo Azul »

Nathan Lowell's Trader Tales, then South Coast.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Print-wise, I'm working my way through Kate Mosse's Labyrinth. It takes a while to get going, but now I can't put it down.

Audio-wise, I'm working my way through the Harry Potter books again in anticipation of the final film. I'm midway through POA.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Recut Madness: Favorite Movies Retold for Your Partisan Pleasure, by James Finn Garner.

Regardless of your political persuasion, the ending chapter of "The Wizard of Dubya" is a kick in the gut, just like the end of the Train of Life.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm about 280 pages in Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and it's great so far.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

You're into the good stuff then. That book is one of the few to make me break my own rules and recommend it with the proviso of "you have to get past the first hundred pages".

Which makes me both sad and angry with myself.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Resident Evil City of the Dead by S.D Perry.

A little bit different to what I usually read.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Korgeta wrote:Resident Evil City of the Dead by S.D Perry.

A little bit different to what I usually read.
Not a bad choice at all. Perry's novelizations of the games are entertaining and good.
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

I'm about halfway through Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World. He's good about explaining the value of scientific thought and debunking common myths, but the book as a whole feels disjointed, not a smooth logical flow.

After that, well, I picked up Asimov's extended Foundation series for less than $30 USD, so I'm looking forward to (re)reading that. (Yay used book stores!)
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

Count Zero, by William Gibson, and The Birth of Biopolitics by Michel Foucault. Foucault is a little hard to read, which I suspect may be partly because of the translation, but mostly because I have awful academic reading habits.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Argosh wrote:Jerry Pournelle's "Falkenberg's Legion".
How is it?
XXXI
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Kingmaker wrote: The Birth of Biopolitics by Michel Foucault. Foucault is a little hard to read, which I suspect may be partly because of the translation, but mostly because I have awful academic reading habits.
If you mean his lecture series it gets pretty good. Foucault was a pretty good lecturer and it certainly isn't like some of his drier texts (like Archaeology of Knowledge). If you haven't already you should read Discipline and Punish, and if you want a really fun Foucault read read his debate with Noam Chomsky where he curbstomps Chomsky to the ground and then tap dance all over his prone body.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Two books I've read today are the Ravenor Omnibus by Dan Abnett and In the Name of Rome by Adrian Goldsworthy.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell today. Awesome book, although Part III was a bit slow-moving. I'm now reading Blood of Elves, by the guy who wrote The Last Wish and invented the Witcherverse.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Phantasee wrote:How is it?
It's good, though I'm reading it slowly so ...
Interesting premise, US & SU teaming up and all that.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

How would you compare it with Drake's Slammers novels?
XXXI
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I finished Blood of Elves. It was a major let-down after The Last Wish.

I'm starting Servant of the Underworld. It was described to me as "Aztec Urban Fantasy", so I'll see how good it is. I'm usually not a fan of Urban Fantasy.

Honestly, this is all just time-filling until July 12. A few weeks after that, and I'll be back on my normal reading schedule.

EDIT: Well, I was planning to start Servant of the Underworld, but I've been side-tracked by American Gods. It was available as an e-book from my library system, and I've been reading it on my work computer between customers (who are few and far between).
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood