Gustave: The Beast. The Legend. The Nightmare.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Gustave: The Beast. The Legend. The Nightmare.

Post by Night_stalker »

I was wondering, how does one capture Gustave?

For those who have no idea who I am talking about, Gustave is a massive croc that can be found (at your own risk however) in Burundi, Africa. Currently he has killed 300 people plus numerous animals including hippos, measures about 20 feet (6.1 meters) long, is 60ish years old, and weighs about 1 ton. :shock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_(crocodile)

A baited cage has been tried, but to no avail. Any suggestions for either killing, or capturing this massive beast?
Last edited by Surlethe on 2010-07-03 10:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I fixed the capitalization in your title and fixed the commas to suit my stylistic preferences
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Re: Gustave: The beast, The legend, The nightmare.

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Don't? The three-hundred kill tally is total bullshit, there's no way this one crocodile is responsible for that many deaths, he personally would have had to kill five people every year of his life to attain it.

It's the largest Nile Croc (reportedly) leave him the fuck alone and let him do his thing as the apex predator of that river system.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

If this croc is real he needs to be checked for what kind of exploits he is using to achieve such a high kill count.

Seriously though there has never been a single identified animal that has killed 300 people. Maneating tigers for example only manage to kill a few dozen at most before disappearing or being put down.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Y'know, it's telling the way you worded this as "currently he has killed" even though the very wiki page you linked to specifically says that he is "rumored" to have killed that number. It even ends with this (bolding mine):
wiki wrote:As of January 2009, Gustave still lives within the Ruzizi River area and is occasionally spotted by people, although no human fatalities have been officially attributed to him since his sudden notoriety.
Yet you speak as if it's all confirmed. Do you always buy bullshit about "evil man-eaters" this quickly?

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Why are people all of a sudden treating Cracked.com articles as if they are legitimate fact? This brings it to three I've seen recently and I think I remember a fourth. It's hyperbole and fan-service with a veneer of factuality and they're supposed to be enjoyed that way, just like Badass of the Week.

And why did you capitalize "the" and not the important words? That's the complete opposite of the way it's supposed to go.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Ilya Muromets wrote:Y'know, it's telling the way you worded this as "currently he has killed" even though the very wiki page you linked to specifically says that he is "rumored" to have killed that number. It even ends with this (bolding mine):
wiki wrote:As of January 2009, Gustave still lives within the Ruzizi River area and is occasionally spotted by people, although no human fatalities have been officially attributed to him since his sudden notoriety.
Yet you speak as if it's all confirmed. Do you always buy bullshit about "evil man-eaters" this quickly?
I never said he was continuing to kill people, BUT still I find the number to be way too high to be plausible. Either the numbers are highballed, or they just attribute every missing person to Gustave. Seeing how he seems to live in a rural area, where there isn't a lot of people, 300 kills does seem way too freakin' high to make sense.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
Stuart
Sith Devotee

Post by Stuart »

Obvious question. Is there only one "Gustave"? Or is there a group of larger-than-average crocs in the river who go under the same collective name?
Nations do not survive by setting examples for others
Nations survive by making examples of others
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Frankly, this sounds like what I've personally termed the Colonel Toon/Juba syndrome.

With all due respect to Messrs Cunningham, Driscoll and the brave men in Iraq, I think legends about near mythic foes like Toon and Juba are most likely garbled third hand accounts and the human desire to make our opponents more spectacular than they actually are (doesn't necessarily have to do with self promotion, people like a legend and nothing screams legend quite like "supervillian").
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Sarevok wrote:Seriously though there has never been a single identified animal that has killed 300 people. Maneating tigers for example only manage to kill a few dozen at most before disappearing or being put down.
The "Champawat Tiger" supposedly killed at least 436 people. This was an animal that apparently had the habit of going into villages and killing multiple people, which is how it racked up such large numbers.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Stuart wrote:Obvious question. Is there only one "Gustave"? Or is there a group of larger-than-average crocs in the river who go under the same collective name?

He actually does exist. Has a territory and everything. Crocs eat a lot of preople in africa. Mostly women and fisherman. They may not necessarily be the ones that kill them, but 300 people being eaten by crocodiles in the last 60 years is not unreasonable. What is unreasonable is that it was one individual. A croc that size can eat one person and not need to eat again for a year.

In any case, he needs to be left the fuck alone
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Re: Gustave: The Beast. The Legend. The Nightmare.

Post by Surlethe »

Science? Bzzt.
Logic? Bzzt.
Morality? Bzzt.
Implausible how-to question regarding an implausible story? Ding ding ding!

Moving to OT.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Well, I, for one, welcom-

Ah fuck it. Leave the croc be. If he's eaten that many people, then he's a... national treasure? If not, then no harm, no foul. Unless there IS a posse of crocs that are ganging up on people and terrorising them.

Hold that thought. I need to ring Hollywood.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

He's been already made into a movie. Check out Primevial, which is a fictional account of him.

—anonymous

ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Actually killing him shouldn't be too hard; the old-fashioned application of superior firepower.

If you're going after him yourself, I'd suggest something chambered in .700 Nitro Express, or perhaps .577 Tyrannosaur. But I hope you're smegging rich, because that's gonna put you back a few bucks.

Of course, for sixty grand you could also just hire a force of elite mercenaries to track the son of a bitch down, which is what I'd really advise; bring in strong armored gear, preferably amphibious, track him down and machine gun the shit out of him. Or hell, if you've got unlimited funds and/or are the government of Burundi, send in helicoptor gunships.

As for capturing him, well... Honestly, I think your best bet is probably a harpoon gun with the highest test cable you can find, and equipment like out of the second Jurassic Park movie.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Actually killing him shouldn't be too hard; the old-fashioned application of superior firepower.

If you're going after him yourself, I'd suggest something chambered in .700 Nitro Express, or perhaps .577 Tyrannosaur. But I hope you're smegging rich, because that's gonna put you back a few bucks.

Of course, for sixty grand you could also just hire a force of elite mercenaries to track the son of a bitch down, which is what I'd really advise; bring in strong armored gear, preferably amphibious, track him down and machine gun the shit out of him. Or hell, if you've got unlimited funds and/or are the government of Burundi, send in helicoptor gunships.

As for capturing him, well... Honestly, I think your best bet is probably a harpoon gun with the highest test cable you can find, and equipment like out of the second Jurassic Park movie.
:wtf: Seriously, who said anything about killing it? I also have doubts about how effective a harpoon would be for a live capture, last I checked harpoons aren't exactly nonlethal. Leave the croc be, if its managed to survive sixty years, it deserves to be left alone and not killed as a trophy for some asshole.
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Wing Commander MAD wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Actually killing him shouldn't be too hard; the old-fashioned application of superior firepower.

:wtf: Seriously, who said anything about killing it? I also have doubts about how effective a harpoon would be for a live capture, last I checked harpoons aren't exactly nonlethal. Leave the croc be, if its managed to survive sixty years, it deserves to be left alone and not killed as a trophy for some asshole.
Night_stalker wrote:A baited cage has been tried, but to no avail. Any suggestions for either killing, or capturing this massive beast?
As for the harpoon being nonlethal, this motherhumper has survived several rifle rounds in the past. Harpoon him and go in with very long, very strong animal-control poles, wrestle him down and pump him full of enough tranquilizers to knock out a - well, a one-ton dinosaur.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
Sarevok wrote:Seriously though there has never been a single identified animal that has killed 300 people. Maneating tigers for example only manage to kill a few dozen at most before disappearing or being put down.
The "Champawat Tiger" supposedly killed at least 436 people. This was an animal that apparently had the habit of going into villages and killing multiple people, which is how it racked up such large numbers.
IIRC the Panar Leopard was right up around 400 to.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Find Patterson who delt with the Ghost and the Darkness...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Night_stalker wrote:I was wondering, how does one capture Gustave?

For those who have no idea who I am talking about, Gustave is a massive croc that can be found (at your own risk however) in Burundi, Africa. Currently he has killed 300 people plus numerous animals including hippos, measures about 20 feet (6.1 meters) long, is 60ish years old, and weighs about 1 ton. :shock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_(crocodile)

A baited cage has been tried, but to no avail. Any suggestions for either killing, or capturing this massive beast?
Nuke the place from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
RowanE
Redshirt

Post by RowanE »

A bigger baited cage. No need to get fancy.
ebs2323
Redshirt

Post by ebs2323 »

throw a zebra with some A1 ssteak suace in the bigger cage. then set up a camera. when Gustav comes to take a bit nuke the site from orbit.
The Yosemite Bear

no you just need roy schieder, richard dreyfus, an oxygen tank, and a rifle....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

And a bigger boat.

—anonymous

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You know, people seem to long for the times of terrifying man-eating predators that required guile, skill and a pair of steel balls to defeat. It's almost as if "kill the beast by getting a hundred men with AK-47s to sweep the area" is not romantic enough...
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
The Yosemite Bear

Well Earlier I mentioned sending Col. Patterson after him, though time caught up with said expert a long time ago.