Can't improve democracy while the Rent Is Too Damn High!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Can't improve democracy while the Rent Is Too Damn High!

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

The Rent Is Too Damn High Party steals the NY gubernatorial debates
We told you that tonight's New York gubernatorial debate—with seven participants!—would be crazy, but we could have never anticipated this level of it: watch as Jimmy McMillan, of the "Rent Is Too Damn High" party, uh... introduces himself.

Crazy "Rent Is Too Damn High" Candidate Steals the Show at NY Gov. Debate

Somebody, please, give this guy a TV show. Or a gig as an auctioneer. Or something.
Video in the link. If this is more OT or something, whisk it away - but please put it somewhere where the rent ain't too damn high!
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Re: Can't improve democracy while the Rent Is Too Damn High!

Post by fgalkin »

http://www.rentistoodamnhigh.org/

Best Political Party Website....ever.

EDIT: And this poster......

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

This is the most honest and straight-forward politician I've ever seen.
XXXI
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

fgalkin wrote:http://www.rentistoodamnhigh.org/

Best Political Party Website....ever.

Sweet jesus. It's like he made it as hard as possible to know what the fuck he was talking about.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

What, did you miss all the references to "Rent is too damn high?" :lol:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

He's got datapoints in there, but not a single number isn't shrinking or spinning or whatever.

Maybe it was originally made in Geocities?
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Is it me or does he sound like Mr T?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

PainRack wrote:Is it me or does he sound like Mr T?
I think that IS Mr. T. Seriously though, he's got a talking point that people can't ignore and he's getting a lot of visibility for it. It sounds like a lot of people agree with what he's saying, and even if it doesn't go anywhere it let's politicians know that more than school funding or trash service most New Yorkers are having problems because "The Rent is too Damn High".
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

How the heck is that a political platform? What does he intend to do to make the rent not too damn high?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Samuel wrote:How the heck is that a political platform? What does he intend to do to make the rent not too damn high?
One presumes things like city ordinances and laws to cap rent costs or some such.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

That dude's facial hair is awesome. Is it too late to move to NY so I can vote for that guy?
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Haha, I get to vote for him if I so choose.

However, since I am more interested in making sure Carl Paladino never, ever, ever, ever, ever even comes close to winning, I'm voting Cuomo.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Dalton wrote:Haha, I get to vote for him if I so choose.

However, since I am more interested in making sure Carl Paladino never, ever, ever, ever, ever even comes close to winning, I'm voting Cuomo.
I may fall into the same category, as much as I instinctively dislike Cuomo.
However, the "Rent is 2 Damn High" guy and the "Anti-Prohibition" party candidate both had some damned good points - if Cuomo looks like a runaway winner, I may vote for one or the other of them.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

*boot*
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Steve wrote:
Samuel wrote:How the heck is that a political platform? What does he intend to do to make the rent not too damn high?
One presumes things like city ordinances and laws to cap rent costs or some such.
Price controls are generally a bad idea. The exception is when supply is limited and the good is essential and the housing and apartments market where it is an even worse idea.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Interview with the press after the debate:
XXXI
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I'm torn on what to think, because as much of a sideshow as this is the guy has a good message and i'd rather support a fringe guy who genuinely wants to improve things than a popular guy who runs on a platform of reform and doesn't really act on it much.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

That is a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure the first time such a cap is passed, it will allow most if not all rental property owners to rent their property at a small profit. However, if a small decrease is seen as good, a larger one will be seen as better, so eventually, they'll keep lowering the cap until property is rented at a loss to the owner. Also, I imagine there will be some new laws increasing the legal responsibility of the owner, and with it the cost of owning the property. Eventually, rental property owners will want out of that business, and will have nobody to sell to, because who'd pay to take over that headache? Since nobody wants to or can afford to rent out property, the state will just have to take over for the public good. Now, thousands of pieces of property effectively become public housing, and the economy loses a lot of productive properties.
I'm torn on what to think, because as much of a sideshow as this is the guy has a good message and i'd rather support a fringe guy who genuinely wants to improve things than a popular guy who runs on a platform of reform and doesn't really act on it much.
Assuming you live in New York State and can vote for this man, why don't you vote for him if you like what he's offering? I think if people voted for the people they wanted to be in public office, they'd be more likely to get the people they want. Voting for who you think or have been told will win simply rewards mediocre and/or dishonest people and proves that the public is as stupid as politicians likely think we are.
That's a really immature basis for voting for anyone. If you really want Cuomo to be governor, that's a real reason to vote for him. If not, find somebody you do want and vote for that person. I don't care if that person doesn't have a "viable chance of winning" or some horseshit some group says. The people you really want have a better chance of winning elections if you vote for them.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Well, he's picking up some inertia; the governor of Pennsylvania just endorsed him.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Samuel wrote:Price controls are generally a bad idea. The exception is when supply is limited and the good is essential and the housing and apartments market where it is an even worse idea.
I must be missing something.

"The exception is when supply is limited and the good is essential..." Does that mean that under such conditions price controls are less bad, or more bad?

Because surely the supply of rental properties in New York is limited, and the good is essential if you want to find a place to live in New York.

I think I see what you're getting at, but there's a bit of ambiguity in there, so I'm not sure.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Samuel wrote:Price controls are generally a bad idea. The exception is when supply is limited and the good is essential and the housing and apartments market where it is an even worse idea.

"The exception is when supply is limited and the good is essential..." Does that mean that under such conditions price controls are less bad, or more bad?

Because surely the supply of rental properties in New York is limited, and the good is essential if you want to find a place to live in New York.

I think I see what you're getting at, but there's a bit of ambiguity in there, so I'm not sure.
It's limited in Manhattan proper. There's plenty of space just outside the island though.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Simon_Jester wrote:

I meant things like rationing food during a famine- where there is a good people want, but you don't want market forces to determine allocation because people will hoard and there will be shortages.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:Well, he's picking up some inertia; the governor of Pennsylvania just endorsed him.
This?
XXXI
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Shocking news! Jimmy McMillan may not pay rent himself!
The New York Times conducted an interview with him in which he said that he has lived rent-free for 31 years. But he also told the Wall Street Journal that he paid $800/month for an apartment!

The solution?
Jimmy McMillan wrote:Don’t look for anything I say about my living space to be true,
This may well be the best political party since the Mike Party. Certainly it has a better candidate.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Bakustra wrote:Shocking news! Jimmy McMillan may not pay rent himself!

snip

Does that change anything? Jimmy doesn't say that HIS rent is too high. He made it a point in his speech at the debate to talk about families with children who are having problem putting food on the table while paying for a roof over their heads. His personal rent situation changes nothing about the message.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.