Jimi Hendrix gets #1 guitarist of all time in Rolling Stone

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Hamel
Sith Marauder

Jimi Hendrix gets #1 guitarist of all time in Rolling Stone

Post by Hamel »

I don't know much about him. In fact, I didn't even know he was black until I saw his picture in the magazine. He looks like he knows the business.

Uh, yeah. I thought someone might be interested.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

This doesn't exactly come as a surprise to many people. :wink:
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Jimi Hendrix is a veritable guitar god. Self-taught and he used a right-handed guitar even though he was a lefty - so he had to teach himself to play it backwards!
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Tosho
Rabid Monkey

Post by Tosho »

Jimi rocks! :D
Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:45 pm 666th post.
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

IIRC John Fogerty took #40. My dad is a big fan of his.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Yeah, and that's about the only guitarist the Rolling Stone magazine fuckers got right when they made up their top 100 chart. Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Slayer's dynamic duo of Kerry King & Jeff Hanneman aren't even on the list. And somehow Eddy Van Halen is at #70? This is more a list of "Most popular guitarists" as opposed to "best guitarists".
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Yeah, look at Angus Young, he's #96. Bah.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/co ... p?pid=1917

You can find the full list here....anyway, who the fuck wrote this shit? Keith Richards, Kurt Cobain, John Frusciante, and JACK WHITE in the top 20? Good guitarists all around, but hardly top 20 material. And Van Halen at number 70 is just a sin against rock and roll. And Angus Young at 96, holee fuckin' shit!

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Wait wait wait... Kurt Cobain was in the top twenty? How? Nirvana wasn't even a good band! And he's ahead of Brian May, for chrissakes!

And how is Duane Allman ahead of Slowhand Clapton!?

GAH! :x
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Wait wait wait... Kurt Cobain was in the top twenty? How? Nirvana wasn't even a good band! And he's ahead of Brian May, for chrissakes!
Goddamn Gen-Xers...maybe when they're all done growing up this worship at the Church of Nirvana will cease.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Durran Korr wrote:Goddamn Gen-Xers...maybe when they're all done growing up this worship at the Church of Nirvana will cease.
I know, the ones that think that Kurt Cobain was some sort of goddamn hero because he blew his head off... :x
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Brian "The Hair" May would whup Cobain anyday... uh, if only he hadn't gone angsty and eaten a bullet.

Glad to see Jimi up at the top, even Clapton said he'd never rival this guy.
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Dalton wrote:Jimi Hendrix is a veritable guitar god. Self-taught and he used a right-handed guitar even though he was a lefty - so he had to teach himself to play it backwards!

Hes the first guitar god i belive ( by deffinition )
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:Goddamn Gen-Xers...maybe when they're all done growing up this worship at the Church of Nirvana will cease.
I know, the ones that think that Kurt Cobain was some sort of goddamn hero because he blew his head off... :x
Not "hero", "spokesperson for a generation." :wink:

aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Hehe, ike turner is on the list :D
-monster
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

I don't know if Jimi should be #1. Don't get me wrong, he is a guitar beast and sould be no lower than top 5, but there are some technical/speed/soulful geniuses out there.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

StormTrooperTR889 wrote:I don't know if Jimi should be #1. Don't get me wrong, he is a guitar beast and sould be no lower than top 5, but there are some technical/speed/soulful geniuses out there.
Hendrix exists on an entirely different level than anyone else. No one has been able to reach that level, in my opinion.

aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Durran Korr wrote:
StormTrooperTR889 wrote:I don't know if Jimi should be #1. Don't get me wrong, he is a guitar beast and sould be no lower than top 5, but there are some technical/speed/soulful geniuses out there.
Hendrix exists on an entirely different level than anyone else. No one has been able to reach that level, in my opinion.

People say this about him.... like. .... alot of people say this about him, but its such a general statement, it could be said about anybody, or anything, and i dont think people understand what it means.
-monster
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Reaction to thread title:

Well... DUH!
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

aphexmonster wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:Hendrix exists on an entirely different level than anyone else. No one has been able to reach that level, in my opinion.
People say this about him.... like. .... alot of people say this about him, but its such a general statement, it could be said about anybody, or anything, and i dont think people understand what it means.
In this case it's very simple. While there are people who can play faster & crazier than Hendrix, Ygnwie Malmsteen for example, Jimi Hendrix is the only person who can play ANYTHING on a guitar and have it sound cool & musical. Hendrix can and has played a bunch of random off-key notes on his guitar on a whim and have it sound cool, anyone else doing it just sounds like a goof. That is existing on a higher level.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Jimi Hendrix is be-all end-all to his instument of might: the guitar. There are no exceptions.

As for the rest fo the top 100...Urge to kill...RISING...
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

If you have any doubts about Jimi Hendrix deserving to be considered the best guitar player ever, listen to his cover of the Star-Spangled Banner. It's hard to imagine a piece of music capturing America at the end of the sixties better than he did with that cover.

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Jimi Hendrix was the bridge between humans and perfect energy beings when it came to his thang. Case closed.
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

Oh dear fucking god no... Kirk Hammet is on this list, and Dave Mustaine isnt? Dear God. If you listen to the "No Life 'Till Leather" Demo, with Dave Mustaine playing lead, he completely blows kirk away. God damn I hate Metallica.
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Steve Vai...

Master of six-string masturbation.