Writing Software (not software writing)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Writing Software (not software writing)

Post by Slartibartfast »

For all the creative types that frequent this forum: how useful do you think it is, in general, to use special software for streamlining storywriting? Or what kind of tools (other than MS Word and alternatives) do you normaly use or would you consider using?

For example, this tool:

Do you think it's useful, a waste of bandwidth, what?
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Well, I've never tried tools like that. I simply use a number of different files (a plot file, a timeline file, a character bio file) and rewrite them as I see fit.

Minor defails I usually add in as I'm fleshing out my plot into a story, some of which have enough effect that it changes the later plot. In which case I just edit the plot file as necessary.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

I use open office for all my writing. Who needs extra shit. Though considering the extremly small ammount of creative writing I do I geuss that I don't really count.
victorhadin
Padawan Learner

Post by victorhadin »

For anything significant, I find that coupling Microsoft Word with a pen, paper and the ability to draw lots of loosely-connected boxes works wonders.

-As does a good memory, for when you lose the piece of paper.
"Aw hell. We ran the Large-Eddy-Method-With-Allowances-For-Random-Divinity again and look; the flow separation regions have formed into a little cross shape. Look at this, Fred!"

"Blasted computer model, stigmatizing my aeroplane! Lower the Induced-Deity coefficient next time."
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

My tools are as follows:

A reporter's notebook and a Vision Uniball Micro black pen--for jotting down notes when I'm away from the computer

A 1936 Royal portable typewriter, for first drafts

Word Perfect 9 for subsequent drafts

Writing software has always seemed, to me, to be great toys with which to fiddle. The best toys for writers are the ones that make you think you're working on the story without actually putting words down on paper.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

LaTeX typesetting with TeXnicCenter as my editor.