Having trouble starting a new story.

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Crom
Jedi Council Member

Having trouble starting a new story.

Post by Crom »

I want to write a space opera. I want it to be an epic about empires, beautiful princesses, and adventure!

Trouble is, I can't really seem where to start. I don't really just want to rip off of Star Wars. Dune. The Foundation, and Deathstalker. And yet these are my most immediate influences.

Anyway, any general advice would be welcome.

What follows is just some of my thoughts about it ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The technology would be pretty science light, the predominant weapon the age is the "blaster," they possess the ability to create force fields, FTL travel is accomplished through instantaneous jumps. Nanotechnology, AI, cybernetics, cloning, genetic engineering, and technological advancement (outside of technology of scale) is pretty much nonexistent, regulated to an extremely small group, forbidden, or in the background and unmentioned.

Humans currently are expanding out aggressively and waging Crusades against the Alien Menace (read everyone in their way). I was thinking of setting the story as the Humans encounter, for the first time, a league of alien races united under the mysterious aliens called the Thoss.

Within the Humans sphere there is a pogrom launched against people born with a certain gene, called, for now, the Wheel Gene. Reasons why are pretty much unknown to me for the moment.

And now for the magic element. I haven't quite figured that out yet either. I wondered at first about tying it into the Wheel Gene, but then decided that the Wheel Gene is independent of that. The Wheel Gene, as of right now, was introduced to humanity at some point intentionally to prevent something. No real idea about where to go for the magic yet. I was thinking of something like super-speed coupled with some kind of spider-sense/precognition. Whatever.

I guess I've been neglecting the most important part which is the characters. There's the Old Warrior, a veteran of many wars, and his Young Disciple, the protagonist. The Young Disciple was born of nobility, or at least an extremely wealthy family, but under improbable conditions to a mother he never knew.

I still haven't figured out what they are trying to do and where they are trying to go.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Well why not incorporate an idea of castles/palaces? Instead of having all the major battles happen in space have the technology so that planets are quite safe from spaceships, especially once you are inside a castle/fortress/palace with armour and shielding which works on top. Therefore you can have ground combat as your main focus which alters it slightly.

If you're looking for a new magical element why not try shapeshifting, I am not sure its been done in space as a magical element.

Why not have the young protaginist be one of the few who realises this aggressive expansion is wrong, then fall in love with a princess, who is heir to the human kingdom mainly but her brother wants to be next in line? he has to rescue her and then you have a civil war and the Thoss get involved maybe.

I'm just brainstorming, hope there is a rose in that thornbush.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

The Guid wrote:Well why not incorporate an idea of castles/palaces? Instead of having all the major battles happen in space have the technology so that planets are quite safe from spaceships, especially once you are inside a castle/fortress/palace with armour and shielding which works on top. Therefore you can have ground combat as your main focus which alters it slightly.

If you're looking for a new magical element why not try shapeshifting, I am not sure its been done in space as a magical element.

Why not have the young protaginist be one of the few who realises this aggressive expansion is wrong, then fall in love with a princess, who is heir to the human kingdom mainly but her brother wants to be next in line? he has to rescue her and then you have a civil war and the Thoss get involved maybe.

I'm just brainstorming, hope there is a rose in that thornbush.
I like the idea of static fortresses dominating warfare. I think that would be pretty cool. I also like the shape-shifting magic idea, I may have to do something with that.

For instance, the Face Dancers from Dune were pretty kick ass.

Thanks for the input.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda