No Tears but Ice

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

No Tears but Ice

Post by LadyTevar »

((More from the Tahalshia Family... one that I wrote after Magic's Price. Hope you like it.))

The violin or fiddle is a truly ancient instrument. Its ancestor, the Psaltery, was used throughout the Mediterranean lands in the ages before Christ. A simple hollow box of wood, with strings of gut or metal pegged down to it, and played by a small bow strung with horsehair or fax, pulled over the pegged strings to produce the notes.

Yet how did this simple instrument manage to carry itself from Greece and Rome to the lands of the Celtic civilization, where the best-known instrument was a goatskin bellows pumping air through wooden pipes to make a droning, piping song? Very easily, for the psaltery and its children were very honestly human.

Listen to the violin as it plays in an orchestra. It carries the melody, adding the elegantly sustained notes that trill and slide into each other, giving the orchestra piece a dignity and haughty grace.

Listen to the fiddle at any dancehall or pub. It bounces out the melody here as well, seeming to dance and laugh to the jig, reel, or contra-dance. Like a child at play, it calls to the heart and feet to come join the fun, irresistible.

These are very human emotions, and the fiddle touches them all. But what made the fiddle last so long, stay so close to the hearts of musicians everywhere, was simple. The fiddle could cry.

The horsehair bow, when drawn across the gut or metal strings, can sustain a note for many heartbeats. It wrings the emotion out of a person's soul, painting it in the air like a ghostly wraith. The notes glide one to the other, weeping hauntingly, drawing out tears with every slow sweep of the bow.

Teamhair's fiddle cried like that now, all her grief and despair over Blackthorne's death dripping from every pass of her bow across the strings. It wept for the loss of her soulmate, the one man that knew her better than she knew herself, and loved her anyway.

It mourned for the father of her children, that will now grow up not remembering his devoted attention and love, never knowing his pride and delight in the simple fact they were his to raise. It grieved for the long years that lie ahead, barren and empty without Blackthorne by her side, never again to feel the touch of his hand, to see his mocking smirk, to hear his beloved voice.

The fiddle wept the tears that Teamhair could not, locked in hate-fueled vengeance against the men ... the beasts … responsible for Blackthorne's death. The fiddle broke through the rage that held her heart in ice, giving her a measure of release for the pain, no matter how briefly. The songs she played did not matter, sliding into other verses with no break; or pouring forth from fingers and bow came new songs, born of grief and dying unrecorded, improvisement at its purest.

Teamhair played, the fiddle wept, and the safehouse listened silently to the requiem to the man she loved above all else. Then, the door to her room opened, and a worried man stepped inside. "Tevar?"

Nitram's voice was foreign to the music, and it stopped, the bow lifted from the strings in mid-note, the fiddle untucked from beneath the chin. Hazel-green eyes opened, tearless, hollow, burning brightly with the inner fiery rage that wanted to see his killers as dead as her murdered husband.

Nitram, Blackthorne's older cousin, stepped further into the room, concern for her painted across his face, so similar to Blackthorne's own. "You've not eaten yet. Come down to the kitchen," he said, half an order, half a plea for her to return closer to sanity.

Carelessly Teamhair set the fiddle down, this lack of respect for her instrument yet another sign of the icy coldness that had wrapped about her after the first shock of Blackthorne's death. Mechanically, she walked past Nitram out into the hallway, then paused. "I'm owin' ye an' 'pology, Nitram," she suddenly said.

Her voice was low and eerily calm, the ice around her heart giving it the mockery of normalcy. "I dinna unnerstan' 'bout yer wife... 'bout Juliet...," she continued, the hate-haunted eyes meeting Nitram's. "Nowe ... I do." She turned and walked down the hallway, and the icy chill of her hatred frosted the walls in her wake as the last echos of the fiddle's mourning faded into silence.
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2005-05-05 04:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

...... Was it that bad that no one's commenting ? :(

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

LadyTevar wrote:...... Was it that bad that no one's commenting ? :(
Not at all, it's very good, I suspect people arent posting because they cant think of anything else to say and that alone makes for a very short post.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, Lady T. Very sad, but I love your use of imagry. And you managed to make my girlfriend cry while she was reading over my shoulder. Was there a particular violin piece you had in mind when your wrote that?
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: ...

Post by LadyTevar »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, Lady T. Very sad, but I love your use of imagry. And you managed to make my girlfriend cry while she was reading over my shoulder. Was there a particular violin piece you had in mind when your wrote that?
I'm sorry I made her cry. :( I hope she liked it anyway.

I wasn't really thinking of one piece, since Teamhair plays fiddle, not violin. "Shee Beg, Shee More" was one song I was listening to at the time, but it was just all the sad Irish love songs together in my mind.

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Well, making her cry wasn't a bad thing. She loved the story, she just thought it was very sad. I'll dig around through my CD collection for some of the kind of music your were mentioning.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Tried to read this three times, but kept being interrupted by customers walking in...wow, Tev, you need to write more, this is excellent stuff. Sad...but...
Gandalf wrote:I will not say 'do not weep,' for not all tears are an evil
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Very beautiful, and I am honestly intrigued by the setting. I don't get into fantasy much, of course, but you seem to have something interesting going.
Mopeyennuui
Padawan Learner

Post by Mopeyennuui »

If only *I* was that good as the discriptive I'd be a master writed.... Good job! :) :) :)