Help Wanted: Moving Planets

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Base Delta Zero
Padawan Learner

Help Wanted: Moving Planets

Post by Base Delta Zero »

First off, this is a question, not a story. I write my own scifi series, and I was wondering wether it would be possible for some of the factions therein to move planets, and just how much energy it would take. It seems reasonable that if someone has the ability to destroy a planet (as most people in the stories do) they could move one. Also, assuming they could do it, I was wondering how.

I am considering three possible options:
1. A single collossal hyperdrive, thousands of kilometers across, with the energy of several million lesser hyperdrives.
2. Hundreds of thousands of smaller hyperdrives in a ring parallel to the direction of travel.
3: Some sort of giant 'sail' with hyperdrive not on the surface, basically dragging the planet along behind it.

(PS)
If this should be in OSF or SLAM, could someone please move it?
Darth Wong wrote:If the Church did driver training, they would try to get seatbelts outlawed because they aren't 100% effective in preventing fatalities in high-speed car crashes, then they would tell people that driving fast is a sin and chalk up the skyrocketing death toll to God's will. And homosexuals, because homosexuals drive fast.
Peptuck wrote: I don't think magical Borg adaptation can respond effectively to getting punched by a planet.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

I know in Invader Zim, they just had some really big engines on the damn things and said "Hey look, these planets have really fucking huge engines. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I friend of mine was discussing this concept, because the larger warships in my own universe are really heavy, and he suggested that a military tactic might involve moving an entire star system out of the way of an attack.

I said: "That's just insane - Brilliant!" The mechanics of which I have considered to involve pulling them all close together and eveloping them in a bubble of sorts which would in tern allow them to be launched off through space. Really fast.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

If you are moving something like a planet around the LAST hting you want is any form of actual "Stardrive" like thursters or something...

The force exerted on a planet would push the rockets into the planet long before you actually moved it. And try to imagine what it would take to stear such a thing...

In reality what you would want is some sort of magical "field" to wrap around the planet and move it by latering the fabric of space rather then trying to "push" a planet in any serious way...

If you ever watched the movie "The Explores" watch the sphear they use for their spaceship, and imagine a planet in it.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Or you could have them teleport the planets instead. Build a giant system-encompassing Transmat and just send them from their orbit around one sun tothe next.
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Base Delta Zero
Padawan Learner

Post by Base Delta Zero »

If you are moving something like a planet around the LAST hting you want is any form of actual "Stardrive" like thursters or something...

The force exerted on a planet would push the rockets into the planet long before you actually moved it. And try to imagine what it would take to stear such a thing...

In reality what you would want is some sort of magical "field" to wrap around the planet and move it by latering the fabric of space rather then trying to "push" a planet in any serious way...

If you ever watched the movie "The Explores" watch the sphear they use for their spaceship, and imagine a planet in it.
Good point. Unfortunately the 'normal' nations' tractor beams would tear a planet apart trying to pull it with enough force, but the more advanced (Predecessor) net beams could do it... I think the capability will be limited to them.
Darth Wong wrote:If the Church did driver training, they would try to get seatbelts outlawed because they aren't 100% effective in preventing fatalities in high-speed car crashes, then they would tell people that driving fast is a sin and chalk up the skyrocketing death toll to God's will. And homosexuals, because homosexuals drive fast.
Peptuck wrote: I don't think magical Borg adaptation can respond effectively to getting punched by a planet.
Darth Kalgarath
Redshirt

Post by Darth Kalgarath »

In Larry Niven's Ringworld trilogy, it is explained that the Puppetieers(?) used a huge network of forcefields and gravity generators to pull their home planet out of it's system, then stablized the thing by pulling four ouninhabited planets into a Rosseta Ring configuration, then topped it off with a fake sun in the center which acted as the 'drive system'. They used some funky Deus-Ex-Machina to keep the planets in orbit around their star while the system was moving.
Well, nobody's said anything stupid to me yet, and I've not said voiced any of my own idiocity so far, sooo . . . .

"Yes it's true, we even have lasers today that use photonic energy at least i'm sure it's photonic." - Jedi Guardian
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Earth Moving Equipment

There's a handy list for you.

For FTL travel, I suppose it depends on the system. I'd go for quantum tunnelling, AKA Move the entire planet in a single probability bending jump to the other side of the universe in a nothingth of a second.
Power required: Technically none to move the planet, it's working out the exact improbability of the planet actually being on the other side of the universe that takes the time and power.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.