If there were a Darwin Award for writers...

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Here's interesting news I read about on this blog: a fanfic writer stupidly selling a 'Star Wars' fanfic on Amazon.com IN FULL VIOLATION OF GEORGE LUCAS' COPYRIGHTS!
Lunaludus Scribex wrote:Friday, April 21st, 2006

12:17 pm

UPDATE: Well, it appears Ms. Jareo has finally done the honorable (not to mention intelligent) thing and fallen on her lightsaber. Her website is completely down--downloads and all--and there is a message on the index page noting that the book will be pulled from "book distribution channels" on "Tuesday, April 24, 2006."

(Incidentally, April 24 is a MONDAY, but we already knew we weren't dealing with a genius here.)

Now, it just remains to be seen whether this will be enough to appease LFL's wrath... - 4/22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I'm supposed to be completely out of sight for the next month or so, and I'll go back to that once this post is up. But this kind of sheer, near-unprecedented idiocy (hat tip: snarkel) deserves to be publicized (and slammed) to the far reaches of the Internet.

So--take one Star Wars fanfic writer. Call her, say...Lori Jareo. She writes an AU of the first Star Wars movie. Just to make sure there's no doubt as to what she's altering, she gives the AU the title, "Another Hope."

Now, that's all good and fine. That's what fanfic's all about.

What's NOT good and fine is SELLING THE FANFIC ON AMAZON.COM.

(Further compounding the stupidity--in spite of trying to get people to pay $20 apiece for this thing, she also has it available for free download as a .pdf file.)

Then, there's the author interview, which contains (among other things) this "you have to see it to believe it" sequence:

Q: Having set Another Hope in an already existing universe, I find myself wondering if there was any concern on your part regarding copyrights?

No, because I wrote this book for myself. This is a self-published story and is not a commercial book. Yes, it is for sale on Amazon, but only my family, friends and acquaintances know it’s there.

Q: I also wonder how far a writer is allowed to write in a world and to use characters introduced by another author?

If it’s not a commercial project, I don’t see any problem. George Lucas’ Star Wars universe is fertile territory for so-names “infinities,” or alternate storyline material. Thousands of people write them, and they are posted on hundreds of unofficial Star Wars-themed web sites on the Internet. Lucas himself said that as long as no one is making a profit, he thought such tributes were wonderful.

I'm not sure what's most incredible about this--that she thinks selling the fic on Amazon.com isn't making a profit, that she thought an Amazon.com listing would (or, for that matter, could) stay private, or that, in spite of being a full-time editor, she has such a warped view of copyright!

Bottom-line, most pessimistic outlook: fanfic exists solely on the forebearance of the copyright holders. She's using the existence of Star Wars fanfic to try and justify her own blatant violation of copyright, and I am very much afraid that LFL will respond not only by stomping her, but by going after SW fanfic as a whole, so that no one else is tempted to try and use the same excuse.

OK, I'm done. I'll see you all on May 19.

Current Mood: nauseated
The links to the fanfic author's website no longer works. However, the fanfic itself is apparently available here-- until April 24, anyways.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

:shock: Thats fucked up stupid. :wtf:
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

From the Amazon reviews, not only is this breaking copyright laws, its also horribly bad (I wasn't expecting it to be good, since the author is stupid).

But how valid are the fears about people clamping down on fanfics befause of this ?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

amazon reviewer wrote:Not only is this thing illegal, it's awful. About half way through it, Luke gets killed of, and is replaced with a Mary-Sue. And the rest is just some of the most boring techno babble I've ever read!
If this is the extent of her writing, then I can see this won't get far, except maybe on Godawful fan fiction.
Kevin D. Killiany wrote:As a professional writer in the field of media tie-in fiction (Star Trek, MechWarrior) I am shocked and appalled that this book is available on Amazon. What the author has done is use a publishing company she owns to produce an illegal book.
That explains how she managed to convince a publishing company to do it.

Seriously, what was the author thinking publishing this in blatant violation of copyright.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

The stupid burns. :cry:
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Sharp-kun wrote:The stupid burns. :cry:
The reviews on Amazon already covered that.
LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

I am so ordering that to say I have a illegal book.
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

If she wanted to sell crappy SW fanfic, she could have at least gone through the standard channels to becoming an EU writer. :P
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
CERC
Youngling

Post by CERC »

I'm just mind boggled that someone is that stupid... but then again as the thread notes, she does deserve a Darwin Award.....

CERC
Sum Senatus

And thus, the Padawan and the Master are dispatched, and it falls to the champion of the Force, Yoda to save them; whom in his near infinate power, displays little intelligence, by stopping the piller with the force instead of jerking his underlings out of the way so that his fight with Dooku can continue.....
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Well... that gets me thinking: In order for her to be eligable for a Darwin Award, she has to be removed from the breeding pool. Thus, we must start a petition that when Lucasbooks sues her stupid face, they also take away her ovaries.

We just ask that they don't take away our need to fic.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

felineki wrote:If she wanted to sell crappy SW fanfic, she could have at least gone through the standard channels to becoming an EU writer. :P
FORCE BURN!!! :lol:

Stravo should publish StarCrossed. :lol:
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Look at the description on the back cover...

"We get a delightful new character, Ryoo Naberrie, a gutsy underling on the Death Star," and, no doubt, the story's Mary Sue. :lol:
LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

It arrived! I haven't started reading it yet but it has arrived and I am staring at it now as it sits on my desk.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

LongVin wrote:It arrived! I haven't started reading it yet but it has arrived and I am staring at it now as it sits on my desk.
I can't believe you gave that bitch money. What a fucking waste.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
LongVin wrote:It arrived! I haven't started reading it yet but it has arrived and I am staring at it now as it sits on my desk.
I can't believe you gave that bitch money. What a fucking waste.
She wont get to keep the money once the lawyers get through with her.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

so lucas isn't getting the money, just the lawyer-balrogs that he hires...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

I started reading it. I got about 40 pages in so far. Apparently there are no chapters in the book it just keeps going and the only thing to signify a new part is a double spaced line and a bunch of ******.

She also gave Palpatine some fancy name of Carrollus Janren and claims Palpatine is his "official name" I don't know where she came up with this wild idea.

The new character they introduce is Ryoo Naberrie who is Queen Amidala's neice. And this Ryoo is a "messman" for the Empire. Which apparently just seems to be a Imperial version of the USO. She basically jsut brings cookies and food. The book itself is hazy about the jobs of these messmen. I have no idea why you would have food delivered to other parts of the ship when the crew can just go to a mess hall when they are off duty.

Nor does the book fully explain why Ryoo is on the ship that captures the Tantive IV. It kinda gets hazed over. But apparently Ryoo was posted on the Death Star for the past 2 years despite it being a top secret project she is allowed away from the construction site to play donut dolly.

Also about the Death Star according to said EU author it is built by Kessel and all the parts from the Corellia Drive yards. Once again I have no idea where she came up with this stuff.

Other then that so far it is a carbon copy of ANH except for Luke watching the battle between the SD and the Tantive IV with his macrobinocs. Though she did manage to make Luke every bit as whiny and annoying as official EU writers. I am already rooting that in this Fan Fiction he dies a horrible horrible death.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Other then that so far it is a carbon copy of ANH except for Luke watching the battle between the SD and the Tantive IV with his macrobinocs. Though she did manage to make Luke every bit as whiny and annoying as official EU writers. I am already rooting that in this Fan Fiction he dies a horrible horrible death.
I'm pretty sure Luke watching the battle happens in the actual novelization, too.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

Noble Ire wrote:
I'm pretty sure Luke watching the battle happens in the actual novelization, too.
Ah. I haven't read the novel of ANH in awhile so then if thats the case its an exact carbon copy of ANH.
JediMaster415
Padawan Learner

Post by JediMaster415 »

Yeah, he watches it in the novelization. I think it was supposed to be in the movie too but got cut.

People like this make it hard for fanfic writers to post. Everyone will be expecting everyone else to do this now.
LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

Alrighty then.

I am seriously going to force myself to read through this entire book its only about 220 pages. So far except for the weird ideas the author has its not that painful of a read yet, though the no chapters thing is annoying.

Apparently though from the back cover of the book it appears that Ryoo begins working for the rebellion. SHOCKER!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Oh noes, she could like... I dunno... spit in the food or something.
LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

MRDOD wrote:Oh noes, she could like... I dunno... spit in the food or something.
lol. so far from her job description I think thats all she can do, unless the author introduces some BS to somehow give her clearance to wander the Death Star at will entering into restricted areas then allow her to leave with information under her arm.
Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

Post by Sonnenburg »

MRDOD wrote:Oh noes, she could like... I dunno... spit in the food or something.
She replaces Tarkin's Beano with garlic.

"I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board."
Chuck

LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

I just read another 80 pages and it is no longer a carbon copy of ANH. I'll start with the most minor and annoying changes firsts before moving on to major ones.

First off for some reason instead of using Tarkin's official name Wilhulf she comes up with some weird first name of Tian.

Also Chewie now has blue eyes when I'm pretty sure in the movies they were brown.

When the Sandpeople are about to kill Luke when he is in the wastes looking for R2 for some reason the author thinks the sandpeople are going to take his equipment, bring it town and sell it. Once again I seriously don't understand how she came up with this since from all accounts in the movies, novelizations and EU sandpeople are basically shot on sight.

Next is the fact that Ryoo Naberrie is back on the Death Star serving Imperial Officers their meals when Admiral Motti recognizes her last name and accuses of her being a traitor and then sentencing her to death on the spot. Yep apparently on the planet of Naboo with billions of inhabitants anyone with the name Naberrie must be related to Queen Amidala and is a traitor to the Empire.

It also appears Ryoo has a bunch of stuff Padme and Anakin left behind on Naboo including an old datapad and just so happens a spare lightsabre. Yep apparently Anakin just left a lightsabre on Naboo when he left to rescue Obi Wan. While confined to her room awaiting execution she manages to hack into the Death Star's computer grid with this old datapad get valuable technical data, then crawl through the vent system and make it to a communications node 6 kilometers away to notify Alderaan.

Speaking of Alderaan Luke and Obi Wan manage to get there before the Death Star and are brought to meet Bail Organa and have the data from R2 decoded. Han Solo gets his money to pay Jabba off and leaves the planet. When the Death Star does arrive in orbit it apparently destroys the planet with Luke, Kenobi, 3P0 and R2 on the surface. So they just died...just like that unless somehow through a plot device they survive through a plot device.