Wars/Trek Crossover Question

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Nefar
Redshirt

Wars/Trek Crossover Question

Post by Nefar »

This is not a fanfic, but its a question about fanfics, so I'll put it here.

In Wars/Trek crossovers, the author usually must resort to either increasing Trek power or decreasing Wars power. I've no problem with this, I loved Starcrossed and Unity, but I was wondering if there are any crossovers that do not noticably do this, or only do this slightly.

My contribution would be Mike Wong's Reign of Terror. Its an excellent story, but small enough that he isn't forced to artificially alter the power levels.

Please note that I mean a fanfic with at least a modicum of artistic talent so Star Destroyer Rampant does not count.
"When the going gets tough, the tough send in combat droids." - SirNitram
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I don't think so...Stravo fic did increase trek power by a bit, altough not high enough for them to be on equal footing.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: Wars/Trek Crossover Question

Post by Darth Fanboy »

In the two unheralded (and rightfully so) corssovers I did, I never upped Trek power at all. What I tried to do was allow the Imperial steamrolling to occur, and put the focus on the insurgency or otherwise in the aftermath.

Mark S's "Manifest Destiny" Is also quite excellent in this regard, the only power upping is a slight edge in favor to the Borg but not until they are all posessed by a fallen Jedi. In fact, I recommend MD and the sequel more so than any other fic on SDNet.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Actually, the fic Thirty Years Warning did a fine job of not giving trek any firepower advantages. And giving them every god damn superweapon they could find and the brains/willingness to use them. Damn fine fic. Just wish Consequences would go off and finish The True Rebellion at some point...
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

There's a fic floating around where the Empire takes half the federation through economic means. IIRC when they got down to the actual combat the power levels seemed to be unchanged.

My own fics I used the inflated numbers from http://www.ditl.org/, though the inflation isn't enough to really give the feds a chance unless they outnumber a single Stardestroyer significantly.

P.S. Yes I will get back to writing Legacy of the Sith/Darkness at some point in the near future.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Though not a pure SW vs ST Rift is perhaps one of the most accurate of all the fan fics. Very delicious, other wise no.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Singular Quartet wrote:Actually, the fic Thirty Years Warning did a fine job of not giving trek any firepower advantages. And giving them every god damn superweapon they could find and the brains/willingness to use them. Damn fine fic. Just wish Consequences would go off and finish The True Rebellion at some point...
At first it was just a bit of writer's block, combined with general distraction. Then Necronlord came up with his own climactic Death Star battle, which ran close enough to some of the ideas I'd been playing with that I'd need to do something seriously different. Then a lot more distraction happened.

Sorry? :oops:
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

I think you skipped some of the common ST superweapons, though, like the Genesis Device. I didn't see the Doomsday Machine, either, but then I wasn't looking hard enough.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Battlehymn Republic wrote:I think you skipped some of the common ST superweapons, though, like the Genesis Device. I didn't see the Doomsday Machine, either, but then I wasn't looking hard enough.
I thought I'd referenced Genesis in the thing used to blow up the Earth. And I know that I referenced the Doomsday Machine, except it was the new improved one from Vendetta.

But I did specifically save a few things for the sequel, if I ever get off my ass and write it, on the theory that the Terran Empire wouldn't throw their best toys into a battle that they couldn't win.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Nah, it's cool. I'm just hoping we'll see more at some point. I don't know what the pheonix of flame is that came from Mars, though.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Singular Quartet wrote:Nah, it's cool. I'm just hoping we'll see more at some point. I don't know what the pheonix of flame is that came from Mars, though.
The Great Bird of the Galaxy. Tis a reference to Peter David's New Frontier series. Basically, it's a big honking space phoenix, that magically saturates the planet it incubates in with absurd amounts of energy and fertility, before eventually hatching and shattering the planet in question like an egg.