Justice Belongs to the Strong (Trek AU-Naked Stars universe)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

"So Ben," said William Ross and he walked toward his desk, "how did the meeting with the Bajorans go? Sorry I stuck you with it, but something urgent came up."

"I understand," said Sisko. "Sir, they're not ungrateful but their people are dying down on Bajor. They're homeworld is occupied, there's a hostile space station in orbit, and the Cardassians don't hesitate to send people to destructive labor camps or use collective punishment. It's very bad sir and they want to do something about that."

"Things might be changing Ben. We might be able to do something about that."

"I thought Starfleet Command and the Federation Council had ruled that because of the precedent that it would set."

"You mean the idea that the Federation might decide to militarily intervene in the Klingon Empire's internal affairs would escalate hostilities between us and the Klingon Empire? That's still a concern and still a big one. However intelligence suggest that the Klingons are going to be busy on another border for a while."

"That still leaves the long term effects."

"Which is why direct military intervention may never happen. I don't like what the Cardassians are doing any more than you do Ben, they're making the Klingons look good by comparison, but its not worth war with the Cardassians and the Klingon Empire."

"Understood sir, and for the record, I agree."

"But."

"But Starfleet doesn't exist to stand by and watch as innocent people get killed."

"We're not. I want you to go on a fact finding mission about the Bajoran refugees in Federation space. I want to know how many of them there are, how many fighters, training, technical support, the works."

"Proxy war?"

"Maybe. Or a legitimate government and army in exile so Starfleet can get its shoe in the door as a 'supporting ally' without pissing off the Klingons too badly."

Sisko grinned. "I'll get right on it."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Legate Kell," said Gul Dukat as he rose from his desk. "I'm delighted by your presence. If I had been notified of your arrival I would have arranged a far more suitable reception. Can I get you any refreshments?"

"No," said the heavyset Cardassian. "Central Command has some concerns Dukat. The Klingon star fortress in Arcanis. The heavy Federations patrols."

"The Klingons can't attack with a star fortress. They'd need a fleet just to deal with Terak Nor alone and there is no way they could keep that kind of a build up secret. As for the Federation, we can handle them. They'll fight if we push them, but their precious Federation principles that allow them to look down their noses at us don't allow them to start a war."

"Our representatives on Earth have noticed a high degree of sympathy for Bajor among the people they've dealt with."

"Telling stories comes easily to Bajorans," said Dukat. "One can hear endless stories about the greatness of Bajoran culture and all their wonderful accomplishments. That they are favored by time bending Prophets, that they've had faster than light travel for a thousand years and so on. Making up stories is what they do. They're a backward, simple people. Stories might gain them sympathy in the Federation Council, but those stories won't make policy. It's as simple as that."

"The Central Command is concerned."

"And they're right to be, but they don't know Bajor or Starfleet like I do. The Federation is full of lofty ideals, but Starfleet is run by pragmatists. They're confident of their abilities, and rightly so, but they don't want war with Cardassia. They aren't militarized the way we are. Their Marines are very good, but exist in barely enough numbers to successfully attack a heavily populated planet if you scraped the bottom of the barrel. As long as we don't give them a reason for war, they're won't be one."

"That doesn't change that the so-called 'Bajoran Situation' is frequently discussed in the Federation."

"Then let them hear our side of the story," said Dukat. "Not the complaints of violent terrorists pining for an oppressive, religiously mandated caste based society who reject every effort to advance their culture from barbarism and give them the benefits of Cardassian civilization. Remind them of what Bajor was like, backwards, feuding, priest ridden. Remind them that violence is down and nutritional allowances are up, as is comprehensive medical care."

Kell snorted. Cardassia produced comprehensive figures that confirmed all of that information, and some of it even might be true, but the Central Command had not interest in the welfare of Bajor's troublesome population. Bajor served Cardassia in three very important ways: as giant plantation to feed Cardassia's population, as a source of raw material, and as a way of keeping millions of Cardassians usefully employed.

Cardassia's economy was completely dominated by the military. Service to the state was touted as the highest virtue. Iron fisted controls were everywhere. Those policies had allowed the military to overturn social chaos, repair the infrastructure, and end the famine decades ago, but it had left a state completely dominated by the military and obsessed with control. The private parts of the economy had almost ceased to exist.

Conquest had helped secure the food and resources that had allowed the initial crisis to end and it had provided an alternative to demobilizing and surrendering power. Each new world kept provided more fuel for the war machine and more legitimacy to the path of eternal conquest the Central Command had set. That the Federation and the Klingon Empire were now serving a checks on that ambition was not well received by the Central Command. Rumour had it that the Obsidian Order liked it even less.

Dukat didn't sympathize. Hostile boarders mandated military build up and strict security measures indefinitely, although if it had been up to him he would have chosen less formidable neighbors. "The Bajorans have been telling their story," Dukat expanded, "very loudly and very publicly. We should tell ours. Muddy the waters. Make the situation morally ambiguous for the Federation and do nothing to provoke them on the borders."

"The Central Command doesn't share your confidence in that approach. That's why I'm here."

"And how may I assist you now that you are?"

"We're upgrading the defences along all the boarders. Two new space stations and ten new automated weapon platform clusters. Including one around Bajor. And we're increasing the Bajor garrison and reinforcing the ground defences.

"And lastly, you will remain Gul of this station, but you're relieved as Prefect of Bajor. I'm taking over. By order of the Central Command."

"If that is the wish of the Central Command . . ." said Dukat trying to hide his frustration. The door to his office slid open. He looked up, glaring at the unexpected intrusion.

"Hello Dukat," said Elim Garak with a broad smile on his face. "I believe we'll be seeing quite a lot of each of other in the near future."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2006-12-21 07:16am, edited 1 time in total.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wait..Garak's now Prefect of Bajor? Excellent.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote:Wait..Garak's now Prefect of Bajor? Excellent.
No, Legate Kell is. However, Garak is along in some as yet undisclosed but clearly powerful capacity.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Something to do with the Obsidian Order?
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I like the stories so far, thanks to the fact the Starfleet officers now have working brains, but I need to know: are the Kinshaya an original creation, or are they from an officially licensed novel/comic book/video game?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Sidewinder wrote:I like the stories so far, thanks to the fact the Starfleet officers now have working brains, but I need to know: are the Kinshaya an original creation, or are they from an officially licensed novel/comic book/video game?

They're from The Final Reflection and How Much for Just the Planet ? by John M. Ford. The FASA rpg goes into more detail as they are merely mentioned and never actually appear in either book.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The air above the transporter pads filled with a red haze. Six humanoid figures silently materialized. Four were Imperial Race Klingons in standard uniforms and armour. The other two were Human fusions. One of the fusions wore a gold sash over is armour. He was of average height and perhaps slightly slender for a Human Fusion.

Kardon saluted, fist to heart. Azrithel and Mara did the same. "Welcome to Lancer," Kardon said.

The marines on the transporter pad saluted back. The one with the sash stepped off the pad and his men followed. "I am Major Marlon sutai Suravid. I have been assigned to Lancer as Force Leader. Her reputation as an honorable ship precedes her." Which was a nice way of saying that after losing most of her marine complement, Lancer was regarded as a very unlucky ship by the marines.

"This one hopes that you find the voyage honorable. Our marine complement has been understrength for some time. Would you care for a tour of the ship?"

"Not immediately. I need to speak with my marines. If it is agreeable, I will take the one up on his generous offer in the near future."

"One understands and the offer remains open. Follow me." Kardon lead the marines out of the transporter room and into the hall. He handed Marlon a data wafer. "Mission specific orders," he said.

"We will be seeing action soon?"

"Yes. We should be another hour finishing loading supplies and marines. Then we'll be underway. Relevant data is on the wafer."

"The one understands."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lancer flew through Klingon space at warp seven. "Sensor contacts," said Arizhen from the science station.

"Identify," said Azrithel.

"Klingon warships, multiple different types. Twenty three capital class vessels." He paused. "Twenty four. One has just appeared at long range."

"Signal Stormwalker that we have arrived," said Kardon. "And tell Death Dealer and Kahless's Hand to form up with us, Maw of Doom formation." That meant the two ships on the sides leading and the center ship, in this case Lancer, trailing.

"Acting," said young ensign Arevon at communications. "Affirmations from both Death Dealer and Kahless's Hand. Communication from Captain Khadi of Death Dealer."

"Put it on the main screen," Kardon ordered.

Khadi's grinning face appeared on screen, fangs and all. Khadi fit the stereotype of a huge, savage, and scarred old warrior to a tee. He looked exactly like the kind of viscious, ruthless space faring barbarian that Federation news channels and Cardassian propaganda loved to frighten people with. The truth was that Khadi was much more dangerous than that crude and brutal stereotype. He had the skill and the cunning to become the commander of a D-12 battlecruiser and win battle after battle. His size and fangs were the least dangerous things about him. "Still looking smooth and pretty, Thought Captain," Khadi roared. The imaginary title was at least partially a joke by Khadi. "You would look better with a few more scars."

"Maybe someone will give me some, Khadi. You seem to have done well in my absence."

"Its easy enough to live on the crumbs of your reputation," said Khadi smiling. A smiling Klingon was a dangerous Klingon, but with Khadi it was a sign of friendship. "I don't even have to fight battles anymore, I just mention your name."

"I'm afraid the days of easy living are over," said Kardon. "You should have retired to a nice island with a those Orion women like you're always talking about."

"G'dayt," said Khadi, still smiling. "And here I was, thinking one more cruise and I can have a really big island. I'll guess I'll have to not die then."

"Better not," said Kardon. "I know the Black Fleet has ships, but I don't think they have islands."

"Why not? What is battle if there is no prize." Khadi saluted. "Squadron Leader, Death Dealer is at your disposal. As long as you still have some of that famous luck to spread around."

"The one does hope so," Kardon. "This one is pleased to serve with you again."

Khadi nodded. "Death Dealer out."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Why is the thought of a Klingon sunbathing the funniest thing ever?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Definitely a good story, am eager to see how this one develops... :)
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"So," asked Ro Laren as gravel crunched under her boots, "did Starfleet change its mind?"

Ben Sisko adusted the collar of his thermal jacket. His breath was visible in the cold air. Jagged boulders of volcanic rock were scattered through the pass around them. "Starfleet prefers to act after it has acquired information, not before."

"So the admirals are considering helping us?"

Ben hesitated. Hell, lying to her wasn't going to fool anyone. "Starfleet isn't above the law. On the frontiers, captains have wide authority to act as they see fit in a crisis, but that isn't the case hear. We're talking about forming a new military force and that has to be accountable to a recognized and legitimate government."

Ro froze. "Wait? Are you saying that the Federation might recognize the provisional government as-"

"More than the elected representatives of the refugee camps," said Ben Sisko. "Refugees in Federation territory are entitled to many things, but private armies trained and equiped by Starfleet are not one of them. The Federation Council will have to recognize you as a legitimate government and authorize Starfleet to provide the resulting military aid. However the argument goes, the admirals want to make sure they have all the relevant data at their finger tips."

Two Bajorans in worn parkas held archaic phaser rifles. One had an archaic tricorder slung over his shoulder. They saw the Starfleet officer and a fellow Bajoran and relaxed just a little.Sisko raised an eyebrow.

"Camp security. That is legal."

"A little far from the camp."

"At the edge of the transport scrambler area," said Ro. "Ready to intercept attackers before they get clear shots at the camp."

"Sounds paranoid."

"The Obisdian Order's Special Operations Division often acts through supposedly neutral merchants, independent mercenaries, and Bajoran quislings. Sloppy gets people killed."

The Bajorans scanned them and let them pass. Just beyond the guards the pass began to widen and open up onto the bottom of the slope of the hill. Below them clusters of prefabricated buildings sat in orderly rows. "How many people?" Sisko asked.

"Officialy ten thousand, but closer to fifteen. The fabs aren't too bad, well enough made for the most part although some of them aren't in very good shape. Food, clothing, water, medicine, heat. We don't have enough of them. No one is starving or freezing, but the margin is too close. A few people have gotten immigrant status and jobs. They send stuff, and it helps, but we're always short. Some of us have tried farming, but-" she shrugged.

"Not the best land for it," said Sisko.

"Our people are willing to work, but we can't."

"Politics," said Sisko. "The Federation Council isn't sure about what to do with you, other than shelter you from the Cardassians."

"We're grateful," said Ro, "most of the time. The Ternians are good people, but we didn't leave Bajor to live like beggars in Federation Space." They were nearing the camp now. Several guards looked over at them and then relaxed.

"They know you," said Sisko.

"I'm the one who begs for the things we need," she said with a tinge of bitterness in her voice. "Some of the time I even succeed. Tell me Sisko-"

"Call me Ben."

"Ben," she said nodding, "why is Starfleet suddenly taking such a strong interest in our plight?"

"I can't tell you that," said Sisko, "other than they have their reasons."

"Need to know, huh?"

"If I told you," he said in a deadpan voice, "I would have to kill you." He grinned, showing white teeth. "Why don't you show me around?"
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

A good chapter, but I wonder: if the Federation recognizes Bajor's provisional government, will Starfleet vessels support Bajoran military operations? (To my knowledge, the Bajoran military doesn't have capital ships.)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Sidewinder wrote:A good chapter, but I wonder: if the Federation recognizes Bajor's provisional government, will Starfleet vessels support Bajoran military operations? (To my knowledge, the Bajoran military doesn't have capital ships.)
That's a real possibility and a political hand grenade. If the Federation starts recognizing and supporting dissident groups drawn from the subject species of one of the neighboring star empires, its sets a precident for doing it with them all. This could easily be seen as meddling in the internal affairs of those nations (in a similar manner to openly supporting terrorist and rebel groups) and trigger widespread interstellar war.

With the Klingons distracted with the Kinshaya, the Hawks in Starfleet and in the Federation Council see the opportunity to do something about the Cardassians without igniting a wider war.