[Ideas]A post apocalyptic story that you haven't seen before

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

[Ideas]A post apocalyptic story that you haven't seen before

Post by Pulp Hero »

I got this idea for a story after having post apocalyptic fiction and fictional military misconceptions on the brain.

The idea is hopefully a PA type story you haven't seen before:

The setting is the late 70s-early 80s, America and the USSR let fly with nuclear weapons and wipe eachother out, but the perspective of the story is from a group of U.S. military posted somewhere in the world outside of the U.S.

I haven't figured out their posting yet, it has to be somewhere not important enough to nuke or assault with a huge number of soviets (so not, like, Berlin) but still within the conceivable range of a conventional soviet military attack.

The story is from the perspective of 3-4 soldiers (M-60 team and a corporal from the squad) who get cut off after their post is over-run by soviets, and is more of an over the top action/dark comedy than a "survival" story, though is filled with a lot of plausible crazy things rather than "wacky" unrealistic action.

So, thoughts? Has this been done? What would you like to see?

EDIT: Oh, and to you Desert Thief fans (all, like two of you) no worries, I'm still writing, look for an update after the holidays (3-4 Jan)
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: [Ideas]A post apocalyptic story that you haven't seen before

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Alaska?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Re: [Ideas]A post apocalyptic story that you haven't seen before

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Africa or Latin America, two continents that people usually ignore in a nuclear war. Talk about how life changes there (Cold War proxy war funding for rebel groups dries up) and the ironic political fallout (Brazil and South Africa teaming up to deliver aid to Europe and the Americas).